NUance    6,937

crabnebulawallpaper.jpg

supernova LINK

edit: Anyone else think this looks like the hand of God giving the Hawaiian surfer dude Shaka hand symbol? :lol:

GM_Tood    1,409

original.jpg

This image, captured by the Hubble Space Telescope, shows a dramatic clash of galaxies (the Hubble Heritage Team website described the sight as a "celestial hummingbird."). Scientists believe that the head of the bird (in the upper portion of the photograph) is the result of the collision between the spiral galaxy NGC 2936 and the elliptical galaxy NGC 2937 (lower left).

Together, the galactic pair are known as Arp 142, which is located about 326 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Hydra.

The Dude    6,086

I've probably shared this video a time or two already, but it's still my favorite video on YouTube.

This one is also high in the running:

B.B. Hemingway    1,134

I've probably shared this video a time or two already, but it's still my favorite video on YouTube.

This one is also high in the running:

Good stuff man, thanks for posting.....

ADS    4,181

Satellite_captures_sun8b7e0b91-6b3d-4d8e-b4f1-1cd200c7fef10000_20120217175657_320_240.JPG

Still not as cool as a sharknado

Did you know they're making a second one?

huKSer    1,322

crabnebulawallpaper.jpg

supernova LINK

edit: Anyone else think this looks like the hand of God giving the Hawaiian surfer dude Shaka hand symbol? :lol:

1972_chevrolet_nova-pic-17886.jpeg

Chevy Nova

GM_Tood    1,409

butterfly-nebula-1600.jpg

This image shows gas released by a dying star racing across space at more than 600,000 miles an hour, forming the delicate shape of a celestial butterfly. This nebula is also known as NGC 6302 or the Bug Nebula.

Credit: NASA, ESA, and the Hubble SM4 ERO Team

huKSer    1,322

butterfly-nebula-1600.jpg

This image shows gas released by a dying star racing across space at more than 600,000 miles an hour, forming the delicate shape of a celestial butterfly. This nebula is also known as NGC 6302 or the Bug Nebula.

Credit: NASA, ESA, and the Hubble SM4 ERO Team GOD

fify

ZRod    2,517

I'd love to see a time lapse image of one of these nebulae. Something fluid so you get a sense of their speed and motion.

MLB 51    835

I'd love to see a time lapse image of one of these nebulae. Something fluid so you get a sense of their speed and motion.

Not possible. You can't see things moving that fast.

ZRod    2,517

Not possible. You can't see things moving that fast.

I don't know. You're talking crazy speeds, but over distances of light years. It's like watching a jet from the ground, it's traveling 500mph but it doesn't look terribly fast from 6 miles away. Relativity!

I found one of the crab nebula but it's not great quality so it's really not that cool to see... :hmmph Instead here's a time lapse of the Earth from the ISS, I find it hard to believe it's not cgi, it's so beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPj8D5KaPVU

NUance    6,937

02.jpg

A nice pic of my best friend floating out in space. :lol:

sd'sker    3,250

In a world where science is based on facts and that is where truth comes from, how do we wrap our minds around the fact that space never ends?

i do not know if we will ever be able to do that. but we have come a long way from a geocentric view of the universe.

knapplc    16,543

In a world where science is based on facts and that is where truth comes from, how do we wrap our minds around the fact that space never ends?

That's an oversimplification of "science." Science doesn't claim to answer all things, or have the answer to all things that falls within its purview. It's a means to an end, and sometimes the end isn't known yet.

NUance    6,937

How does science go about providing us the facts-based truthful answer to "why did life begin?" as one example.

WHY?!! Science is still working on how. :lol:

ZRod    2,517

How does science go about providing us the facts-based truthful answer to "why did life begin?" as one example.

If you looking for the "why" as in how that's a pretty good question. But if you watch the videos The Dude posted and think about the shear number of galaxies, stars, planets shown and the small fraction of the universe those images cover it was almost inevitable that life would happen and it seems just as inevitable that "we", life on earth, are not the only form.

But that's a personal opinion.

BigRedBuster    6,673

That's an oversimplification of "science." Science doesn't claim to answer all things, or have the answer to all things that falls within its purview. It's a means to an end, and sometimes the end isn't known yet.

I didn't say Science has all the answers. What I said was that is where we find facts and truth comes from facts.

BUT......Scientifically, I have never seen anyone explain how space can never end. So, obviously, we don't have that answer.

When I think of space, I feel like I'm from the 15th century and everyone thinks the world is flat until someone sailed a boat around the world and didn't fall off. What is space and what is beyond space? If nothing is beyond space, how is that possible?

If you looking for the "why" as in how that's a pretty good question. But if you watch the videos The Dude posted and think about the shear number of galaxies, stars, planets shown and the small fraction of the universe those images cover it was almost inevitable that life would happen and it seems just as inevitable that "we", life on earth, are not the only form.

But that's a personal opinion.

Not looking for the why as in 'how', looking for the why as in 'why' :P

I didn't say Science has all the answers. What I said was that is where we find facts and truth comes from facts.

Those are really the exact same statement with different semantics.

ZRod    2,517

Not looking for the why as in 'how', looking for the why as in 'why' :P

How did I know? That would be a branch of science or art, however you view it, called philosophy my friend!

NUance    6,937

BUT......Scientifically, I have never seen anyone explain how space can never end. So, obviously, we don't have that answer.

When I think of space, I feel like I'm from the 15th century and everyone thinks the world is flat until someone sailed a boat around the world and didn't fall off. What is space and what is beyond space? If nothing is beyond space, how is that possible?

Like most questions in life, the answer can be found in Futurama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbinE6bx8xM