New sound system, WiFi potentially on tap for Memorial Stadium

They did an acoustics study throughout the stadium. At least that's what the associate AD said they were going to do on a sports nightly one night last summer. They had to wait until the new expansion was up and running.

I"m not an accoustics buff, but I'm guessing there's more to a sound system in a place that big than just throwin speakers all over the place. Maybe you can only have them at one end. i dont know. All i know is, 12 mil on a sound system and wifi, both better be damn impressive. And, I'm betting it will be.

So, after reading the Huskers article I'm a bit curious onto how much of a difference the sound system will make. They are just replacing what is above the screen. I was under the impression that an upgrade would consist of speakers throughout the stadium. Any of you acoustic buffs want to fill me in?

I believe I read before that they all have to be in one place or else you get interference or other such problems. Sounds like current audio technology allows for good acoustics from a single point:

High-Powered Speakers = Consistent Sound

“Today’s technology allows us to use high-powered speakers that are capable of projecting high to mid-frequency sound over long distances,” said Shot Kleen, assistant athletic director for HuskerVision. “New speaker technology also permits accurate aiming of the sound waves that will provide consistent sound levels inside the stadium. Voice and music intelligibility will be much improved with our new system.”

Kleen said the sound systems in all 101 suites inside Memorial Stadium also will be upgraded to ensure that HuskerVision features and public address announcements will be consistent audio and visual experiences for Nebraska’s sellout crowds.

Huskers.com Article

When the first major improvement in production were made in 1994 with the vision boards, there was also a major sound system upgrade then too. That is when the new bank of speakers was mounted up about the old North end scoreboard. I remember that the sound was pretty damn good with that all the way up to the new north renovation in '06. It's been pretty choppy since. Obviously something changed with that expansion which caused issues with the accoustics. The associate AD said that once the North side was done, there was already a long term plan in place for the east side and for it to probably be the last major expansion the stadium would ever go through. This is why they never addressed the sound issues. Now that the main structure is pretty much as set as it's ever going to be, I understand that's why it makes sense to wait until this point as they have.

One thing thats always bugged me is the audio being off so much compared to persons mouth talking. I hope that gets fixed to.

Considering C>Mach1, I'm going to guess that will always be a problem the farther south you are. :D

I wish I could find why they don't want to put speakers all around the stadium. I know they had a reason for it when it was discussed before but I don't remember the details.

$12.3M ???? Not $12.3 thousand but $12.3 million dollars. Freakin' outrageous! Does the stadium really need WiFi ?? I thought football actions in the field..... not smartphone chit-chat and social media meetings.

It's okay to improve sound/speakers but WiFi ? Absolutely not :grr:steam . My guess slush funds (bribery/kickbacks) or US government prime contractor. ;)

One thing thats always bugged me is the audio being off so much compared to persons mouth talking. I hope that gets fixed to.

Considering C>Mach1, I'm going to guess that will always be a problem the farther south you are. :D

I wish I could find why they don't want to put speakers all around the stadium. I know they had a reason for it when it was discussed before but I don't remember the details.

Im in the north. Its not even close. Its like watching an old kung fu movie. Ive heard its pretty much the same no matter where you are.