UNL Sued to Stop Husker Balloon Release

An Omaha man is suing the University of Nebraska in an attempt to curb the balloon release tradition that happens at Husker football games, citing a 1976 federal law governing waste disposal.

In a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court Tuesday, Randall Krause said the mass balloon release results in the open dumping of solid waste, which is prohibited under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.
Over the last half century, Krause alleges in his lawsuit, NU has promoted a balloon release during home Husker football games in the fall after the team scores its first points in which thousands of spectators take part.
After the balloons are released, they are “carried away by the wind and forces of nature,” Krause said, traveling beyond university property and potentially landing hundreds or thousands of miles away.
“Husker balloons can even land in the Great Lakes, Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean,” the lawsuit states.

LJS

He would have a good point and position, but I'm pretty certain I have read that the balloons are bio-degradable.

We did switch. This isn't the first time the school has been sued for it. The only potential issue now with them is birds that get it stuck on their bills during flight and tbh bird populations are already pretty high.

He would have a good point and position, but I'm pretty certain I have read that the balloons are bio-degradable.

This has been addressed before and may not fair well for the university. Here is an article that shared this picture with the caption below. Link

DEGRADABLE? Vogt buried this Husker balloon in his garden two years ago.

04-UNL-Husker-Balloon-2013.1.jpg

• Fire 1

Devil's advocate: the ribbons that are tied to the balloons are not.

This has been addressed before and may not fair well for the university. Here is an article that shared this picture with the caption below. Link

Devil's advocate: hardly conclusive. For all we know they could be lying.

If the guy is truly worried about the environment why doesn't he sue to have football games banned in their entirety? The carbon monoxide generated by 30,000 cars driving to the game is far worse for the environment than the balloons. In fact, why do we have universities at all? On-line courses would be much better for the environment. We could turn Memorial Stadium into a giant compost container, and repurpose the dorms to be homes for feral cats.

:lol:

• Fire 3

This guy obviously did something wrong. I did the same thing and the next year I had a perfectly healthy balloon tree in full bloom.
When he's out digging in his perfectly healthy, green lawn in December, he obviously did something wrong.
  • Fire 5