Lee vs. POB

The Great Husker QB Battle of 2017  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It just amazes me how so many on this board are so fixated on the transfer notion for every highly regarded recruit we get. Certainly there are some transfers around the country but I am doubtful its more than one or two percent of the 4 and 5 star players who transfer because of a lack of playing time or getting beat out by another player. I don't have numbers but I'd be shocked to see it higher than that. I would go further and say that the majority of transfers are NOT due primarily to the player being unhappy not being given the starting job. Rather, I'd speculate that it would be more the case that the player is just not happy in the particular school or has personal or non football performance related issues (family, friends, just disillusioned with college, academic or other things of the sort).

I can't imagine that POB would up and quit and transfer as a result of not winning the starting nod this fall as a redshirt freshman. If he did make such a faulty decision, it might be a blessing for all parties concerned as he would be demonstrating the lack of intestinal fortitude and guts and determination it really takes to become a great QB and player in general. True leaders are not those who feel they are entitled or even want a job to be given to them just because they feel they deserve it - they buckle down and work even harder and earn it. I tend to think POB is this type of person and hope I am right.

I have also mentioned before in other discussions on this same topic that I will be disappointed if POB or Gebbia don't earn the job frankly. Maybe, as some on here seem to believe so strongly, Lee is 'all that' but I have not seen the evidence to suggest it although we recently saw a comment (I don't recall the exact name/source) made by a pretty reliable 'football' person that he has all the tools and may well be an excellent QB. I have nothing against Lee and would say 'let the best man win' but it should not be given to anyone just because he is a top recruit And on that point I might ask as I don't really recall the mention that either POB or Gebbia are 'top recruits' nationally. Were either of them one of the nation's top 5 or even top 10 QBs? I don't think either were 5 stars guys although I don't put all that much weight on the star rating (it is great to get top rated players but we need to get good football players and make them better. That is the recipe for building great teams in my view..

I have no preference as to who the #1 QB is...I just want the best player to play. Also, if the #1 QB isn't playing well, bench him and see what the #2 guy can do. If the #2 guy struggles, see what #3 can do, etc.

Honestly, we play:

2-3 RBs every game,

3-6 WRs

2-3 TEs

6-7 DL

6-7 LBs

5-6 DBs

Why do most teams insist on only playing 1 QB? Potentially foolish thought: maybe if the #2 QB would get in the game and play a handful of snaps the transfer rate would be lower.

When was the last time a QB in the 2-deep transfered from Nebraska? Stanton was 5th string, Bush was 3rd, Carnes was 3rd.

Seems to me it's only been a threat to happen when there's virtually no chance for playing time. Then it's not much of a loss anyway.

If you're one play away from being the #1 guy it would be risky to just toss out a year of eligibility. If he hadn't already used up his redshirt year it would be a stronger possibility, but he's a made man.

I could see it happening later in his career as an act of desperation if he gets beat out by Gebbia.

When was the last time a QB in the 2-deep transfered from Nebraska? Stanton was 5th string, Bush was 3rd, Carnes was 3rd.

Cody Green?

I couldn't decide if he was 2nd or 3rd. I don't think it was ever that clear in 2010. They tried to get him some meaningful snaps early in the year, but then they went with Zac Lee when Martinez was pulled during the Texas game.

Either way he still hadn't used his redshirt yet so he didn't lose a year by transferring.

Sean Callahan has been one who has been outspoken about hearing good things about Lee. Said he expected him to be a leg up on POB but after one practice he said they are neck and neck.

I think any gap between the two will be seen better over time than in a small sample size given they are both pretty dang good