Who should we hire

23 minutes ago, GSG said:

I WANT A GUY WHO LIKES TO DRINK BEER AND DEBUNK GHOSTS.

WHOOPS!  THAT WAS FROM @1995 Redux'S DATING PROFILE!

SERIOUSLY: I DON'T THINK IT MATTERS A TON IF THE HC IS A DEFENSE OR OFFENSE GUY AS LONG AS HE SURROUNDS HIMSELF WITH A GOOD COORDINATORS WHO KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING

Why were you browsing dudes dating profiles?

• Plus1 4

5 hours ago, BartonHusker said:

When I think of Scott Frost and Nebraska, I always think back to this article from Smart Football from Frost.  Would love to see the mixture of both offenses. For those that follow Frost closer at Central Florida, has he married some of the offenses together yet? 

http://smartfootball.com/uncategorized/combining-tom-osbornes-nebraska-offense-with-chip-kellys-oregon-offense-the-stuff-dreams-are-made-of#sthash.JSlgWqCg.dpbs

Thanks for digging up that article!  I remembered reading it at the time.  The one concern I have about an Oregon offense is something he mentioned in that the offense doesn't require physicality.  Back in the day we noticed a dropoff in how physical our defense was and the speculation was because of who they were practicing against (Beck's offense).  I believe Oregon had similar issues so I'm concerned that would put us at a disadvantage trying to defend the B1G offenses.  I do miss the explosive potential of Beck's offense but I think it was as Scott mentioned:

It’s not any kind of fancy scheme that nobody else understands or knows about. It’s just the system. What we do is run a complete system. It has answers for everything a defense can throw at us. I think when you just try to run a piece or two of a system, and you don’t have the complete thing, it’s hard to get really good at it.

What Beck appeared to do was take pieces of various offenses and never had a cohesive system.

To answer your question, I guess we should tune in tomorrow and see what his offense looks like against MD,  2:00 FS1. 

12 minutes ago, Mary Pats BOB said:

Kyle Whittingham-Utah

Discuss.

I wouldn't hate it, but he wouldn't be on my short list. I think he's a good and solid coach that would run into the same ceiling Bo did at 9-10 wins a year.

If you crave consistency though, I think Whittingham would give Nebraska more consistency than anyone else in the last 15 years.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Cornhole said:

Any preference for an offensive-minded guy vs a defensive-minded guy?  Or is that irrelevant at this point?

Actually have a strong preference for an offensive guy. Look at the top 10 teams right now and 9 are coaches who were offensive guys. Granted, Saban is the lone defensive coach. Only 3 of the top 20 teams have coaches with defensive backgrounds. Could also be a case of a lot more teams hire offensive guys, but it appears to be for good reason. 

36 minutes ago, Mary Pats BOB said:

Kyle Whittingham-Utah

Discuss.

I wouldn't be against this hire but he's not my #1 choice.

I think Nebraska needs to throw 6-8 mill toward Bob Stoops. If he declines that offer bump it up some more. We need to offer big time dough for a quality head coach and Stoops fits the bill 

1 hour ago, Dewiz said:

I wouldn't be against this hire but he's not my #1 choice.

I think Nebraska needs to throw 6-8 mill toward Bob Stoops. If he declines that offer bump it up some more. We need to offer big time dough for a quality head coach and Stoops fits the bill 

He quit a job where he regularly won 10 games and the conference, and fans complained that he wasn't doing well enough.

Why would he come here?

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

He quit a job where he regularly won 10 games and the conference, and fans complained that he wasn't doing well enough.

Why would he come here?

One of those OU fans that bitched about Stoops is my godfather. He wanted Stoops fired back in 14'....I just looked at him and said that Nebraska would love to have him.

There has been speculations on why Stoops quit, some believe it was health related while others believed it was due to how he handled the Joe Mixon ordeal, especially how the NFL and Baylor screwed up in similar situations. 

I have no reason to believe that Stoops would come to Nebraska but when you have a coach of that caliber not coaching anywhere you have to take advantage of that opportunity. If Hank Bounds and Ronnie Green truly want the Football program back to being relevant and competing on a championship level, then I would call up Stoops and offer as much money as possible to get him in Lincoln. 

11 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

One of those OU fans that bitched about Stoops is my godfather. He wanted Stoops fired back in 14'....I just looked at him and said that Nebraska would love to have him.

There has been speculations on why Stoops quit, some believe it was health related while others believed it was due to how he handled the Joe Mixon ordeal, especially how the NFL and Baylor screwed up in similar situations. 

I have no reason to believe that Stoops would come to Nebraska but when you have a coach of that caliber not coaching anywhere you have to take advantage of that opportunity. If Hank Bounds and Ronnie Green truly want the Football program back to being relevant and competing on a championship level, then I would call up Stoops and offer as much money as possible to get him in Lincoln. 

Stoops was/is a great coach. I think it's fair to want Stoops or Chip Kelly. I also think it's fair to point out that it is highly unlikely that either is going to coach at Nebraska.

Either way, I think those two guys should be the first two calls when Nebraska is looking for a new head coach. Just have more than those two guys on the list of potential hires.