Who should we hire

The following is probably a dream, but NU has the money to make it happen, and it is cheaper to pay now rather than continue the revolving door of coaches with piss poor results. Hire Brent Venables as HC, and Ken Niumatalolo as OC. Venables is probably the best defensive coach in the country, and Niumatalolo would give us a unique offense that fits home grown lineman, FBs and TE. All we need is an athletic QB with some throwing ability, and speed at RB. Five or six million per year should get us Venables. It would probably be tougher to get Niumatalolo. He makes two million per year now, and he would be taking a demotion.

If getting both of them is not possible, I would be happy with either of them as HC.

I would not mind Chris Kleiman if we could not get Scott over here for whatever reason.

Think you go for some guys that you have no chance at, then work your way down to Frost, Miles, Kleiman. 

Doubt Scott wants to stay at UCF, but if he declined Nebraska now it may be tough for him to get it later if someone comes here and succeeds. 

6 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

The following is probably a dream, but NU has the money to make it happen, and it is cheaper to pay now rather than continue the revolving door of coaches with piss poor results. Hire Brent Venables as HC, and Ken Niumatalolo as OC. Venables is probably the best defensive coach in the country, and Niumatalolo would give us a unique offense that fits home grown lineman, FBs and TE. All we need is an athletic QB with some throwing ability, and speed at RB. Five or six million per year should get us Venables. It would probably be tougher to get Niumatalolo. He makes two million per year now, and he would be taking a demotion.

If getting both of them is not possible, I would be happy with either of them as HC.

Niumatalolo is never ever ever coming to Nebraska.  He had a shot to take the BYU job (KN is a member of the LDS Church) and passed.  If he's passing on BYU when he also would have the chance to coach his son, he's not coming to NU.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, RedDenver said:

If that's the best we can do, then I'd prefer to stick with Riley to see what he can do or until better HC options are available. If we're firing Riley and getting a new HC, then whoever it is must have a lot more potential than Mullen - he's basically Riley from a few years back as others have pointed out.

Stoops isn't coming here. Neither are Urban Meyers, Nick Saban, or Chris Peterson. I think Chip Kelly will be an absolute disaster since we need to upgrade our talent and Kelly isn't keen on recruiting. So if we're going with a proven head coach, then it's basically Les Miles. Otherwise I think we have to gamble on a proven coordinator like Veneables, a younger head coach like Scott Frost, or a young coordinator like Jeremy Pruitt (youngish).

Having said that, I'll get behind whoever our HC is, whether that's Riley again next year or somebody new.

I'm curious as to why you're down on Mullen?  To say he's anything like Riley is a total insult to Mullen.  Sure, Mullen's record is only a bit above .600 but he's doing that in the SEC West which is a total meat grinder.  Mullen's track record at developing QBs is off the charts.

2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I'm curious as to why you're down on Mullen?  To say he's anything like Riley is a total insult to Mullen.  Sure, Mullen's record is only a bit above .600 but he's doing that in the SEC West which is a total meat grinder.  Mullen's track record at developing QBs is off the charts.

He's had one good year when he went 10-3 in 2014. Went 6-7 last year in his 8th season at Miss St. Not enough better than Riley to make a change IMO. If we're going to go big, then let's shoot big and not settle on an above average coach who's best claim is that he's in a tough division.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

He's had one good year when he went 10-3 in 2014. Went 6-7 last year in his 8th season at Miss St. Not enough better than Riley to make a change IMO. If we're going to go big, then let's shoot big and not settle on an above average coach who's best claim is that he's in a tough division.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  No worries.

1 minute ago, BartonHusker said:

Actually Patterson is a Kansan but loves Ft. Worth. Wife's family is big down there. I would absolutely love having Gary as the head coach of Nebraska but I would hope he wouldn't run his dang Big XII spread though. 

Thanks for the education man, for some stupid reason I thought he went to SMU.  Silly me for trying to rely on (bad) memory.  I have always liked him and how he has built TCU while surrounded by bigger programs.  I also hear you on the Big XII air raid drill without defense. But they sure looked good against Okie State, I thought.