Who should we hire

37 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

Actually Patterson is a Kansan but loves Ft. Worth. Wife's family is big down there. I would absolutely love having Gary as the head coach of Nebraska but I would hope he wouldn't run his dang Big XII spread though. 

Patterson really only switched to a full fledged spread a couple years ago when he hired Sonny Cumbie as OC a couple years ago.  Patterson initially tried to carry over his offensive concepts that had served him well when TCU was in the MWC and they just didn't have quite enough firepower to keep up w/ Big XII offenses as they went 7-6 and 4-8 in his first 2 seasons.  To his credit, he hired Cumbie and TCU took a huge step forward offensively.  TCU I'm guessing recruits heavily in Texas and Texas high schools predominately run the spread.  Ergo, you better run the spread if you want a shot at the best kids in Texas. 

3 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Patterson really only switched to a full fledged spread a couple years ago when he hired Sonny Cumbie as OC a couple years ago.  Patterson initially tried to carry over his offensive concepts that had served him well when TCU was in the MWC and they just didn't have quite enough firepower to keep up w/ Big XII offenses as they went 7-6 and 4-8 in his first 2 seasons.  To his credit, he hired Cumbie and TCU took a huge step forward offensively.  TCU I'm guessing recruits heavily in Texas and Texas high schools predominately run the spread.  Ergo, you better run the spread if you want a shot at the best kids in Texas. 

Interesting.  I do like a coach that is able to be flexible within his system to best play the hand he was dealt.  

8 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

What Frost is doing at UCF looks more like zone read than power/option......I don't care what we do as long as we do it right.

It is a power spread, so yes it looks like zone read when he goes option.  The part I like is where he puts 3 RB out there or pulls those lineman into Counter Trey or runs toss sweeps.  Fun to watch man.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

What Frost is doing at UCF looks more like zone read than power/option......I don't care what we do as long as we do it right.

I am interested in seeing more from UCF. I am familiar with that MD team and please just realize they have a bad defense and their offense was using their 4th string QB.  The Terp offense this year actually was fairly competent with either either Hill or Pigrome, but by the time you get down to Bortensclager they are beyond anemic as the system is based on a running QB, which Bortensclager certainly is not.  Regardless, Frost has done good things there. 

1 minute ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

It is a power spread, so yes it looks like zone read when he goes option.  The part I like is where he puts 3 RB out there or pulls those lineman into Counter Trey or runs toss sweeps.  Fun to watch man.

I haven't seen anything but the highlights......have you or anyone else watched UCF games? Do they look good outside of the highlights? Dumb penalties? Bad defense? Anything?

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I haven't seen anything but the highlights......have you or anyone else watched UCF games? Do they look good outside of the highlights? Dumb penalties? Bad defense? Anything?

I'm watching the UCF/Maryland game right now on BTN app.  I just started it. I will come back and post what I saw, but I am no Mavric.

Maybe Mav would go through that game after he does ours?????

If Frost were to coach here following Riley, there's a good chance we would see a similarly difficult offensive transition akin to the one Riley went through.. There's not a single QB on the roster right now who can run like Frost's QB and that's a necessary threat for his offense. We talk about 'identity' all the time on this board and how frustrating it is that the team hasn't had one for a long time. This would prolong that discussion while they try to figure all the pieces out and get 'his guys' in here.

Some of you say that you'd be more patient with a guy like Frost given his potential upside, but it's more likely than not that there would be a lot of transitional struggles once more. I for one am pretty tired of seeing Nebraska's offense swing like a pendulum from one philosophy to the other. I truthfully get the argument about his potential and 'if it means the program is really good after a few years so be it.' It's just a tough thing to have to prepare yourself for again.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

If Frost were to coach here following Riley, there's a good chance we would see a similarly difficult offensive transition akin to the one Riley went through.. There's not a single QB on the roster right now who can run like Frost's QB and that's a necessary threat for his offense. We talk about 'identity' all the time on this board and how frustrating it is that the team hasn't had one for a long time. This would prolong that discussion while they try to figure all the pieces out and get 'his guys' in here.

Some of you say that you'd be more patient with a guy like Frost given his potential upside, but it's more likely than not that there would be a lot of transitional struggles once more. I for one am pretty tired of seeing Nebraska's offense swing like a pendulum from one philosophy to the other. I truthfully get the argument about his potential and 'if it means the program is really good after a few years so be it.' It's just a tough thing to have to prepare yourself for again.

I think it's easier to switch to a Power Spread game from a Pro-Style Offense, rather than vice versa.  Yeah, Frost would probably like a more mobile QB to do everything he likes to do, but I think Frost would be able to lean on the RB run game more.  I definitely don't want NU to stick with the offense that Langsdorf and Riley like to use.  I just don't think it's a viable, long-term offense that leads to success in the college game.

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I'm watching the UCF/Maryland game right now on BTN app.  I just started it. I will come back and post what I saw, but I am no Mavric.

Maybe Mav would go through that game after he does ours?????

I'm not at home this weekend.  But I'm supposed to have the UCF/Maryland game on my DVR for when I get home.  Definitely planning to watch it with interest.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it's easier to switch to a Power Spread game from a Pro-Style Offense, rather than vice versa.  Yeah, Frost would probably like a more mobile QB to do everything he likes to do, but I think Frost would be able to lean on the RB run game more.  I definitely don't want NU to stick with the offense that Langsdorf and Riley like to use.  I just don't think it's a viable, long-term offense that leads to success in the college game.

Perhaps I'll need to see more of Frost's offense. Purely based off the highlights above, they run a lot of zone read or option type plays. Having a non-running threat at QB all but negates what appears to be, on the surface at least, a pretty critical component of that offense.

I see what you're saying but I'm slightly more pessimistic about what would happen.

Just now, Enhance said:

Perhaps I'll need to see more of Frost's offense. Purely based off the highlights above, they run a lot of zone read or option type plays. Having a non-running threat at QB all but negates what appears to be, on the surface at least, a pretty critical component of that offense.

I see what you're saying but I'm slightly more pessimistic about what would happen.

You could be right and there could be a transition period.  Or Frost could bring in a JUCO QB who would be able to compete with the existing QB's that NU has on the roster.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You could be right and there could be a transition period.  Or Frost could bring in a JUCO QB who would be able to compete with the existing QB's that NU has on the roster.

I think you're right - I think JUCO would be a necessity in this case, but I also thought Riley might have gone that route early on. The difficult thing in Riley's situation was he had a fairly suitable QB who could do much of what he needed and was a veteran.

That said, sticking with TA could easily be argued as having had a negative impact on the overall program, particularly the offense. I don't know if I'd make that argument given all the involved factors, but I think that person would have some fair points.