What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

suh_fan93

Could have won this easily without the turnovers, but it was that penalty at the end of the game that killed it.

Defense is more aggressive and effective putting pressure on the QB.

Offense looks more interesting.

Much better look overall, if this team played their fluff game in week one it would have helped quite a bit.

• Plus1 2

Just re-watched the shortened version of the game. Bunch played well especially given the circumstances so I dont want to take anything away from him... But Morgan had 2 steps on his defender and a whole lotta endzone to drop the ball into on the 2nd to last play.  Didn't remember him being that open the first time.  Even a short throw on that play would have been nice for a 50/50 ball and potential PI. Still not his fault we lost by a long stretch.

I also noticed that Martinez does not like pitching the ball on options. Dont think its an issue, just an observation. I'm sure they will look at that in the film room during self scouting. 

43 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Just re-watched the shortened version of the game. Bunch played well especially given the circumstances so I dont want to take anything away from him... But Morgan had 2 steps on his defender and a whole lotta endzone to drop the ball into on the 2nd to last play.  Didn't remember him being that open the first time.  Even a short throw on that play would have been nice for a 50/50 ball and potential PI. Still not his fault we lost by a long stretch.

I also noticed that Martinez does not like pitching the ball on options. Dont think its an issue, just an observation. I'm sure they will look at that in the film room during self scouting. 

Yeah, Morgan was definitely open on the first one.  And I'm pretty sure Bunch could have thrown it earlier.  Waited too long.

The thing that really sucked was Bunch threw both of them out of bounds so Morgan didn't even have a chance.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, Morgan was definitely open on the first one.  And I'm pretty sure Bunch could have thrown it earlier.  Waited too long.

The thing that really sucked was Bunch threw both of them out of bounds so Morgan didn't even have a chance.

I was thinking about that today. Especially the last one. I wish he had underthrown them. 50/50 chance is a lot better than 0.

8 hours ago, TAKODA said:

I will keep my “what did we learn comment short”.

I learned. 

NO; re-learned, what a football team and coaching staff was supposed to look like here at Nebraska. Composed but intense, driven not content

Yes, mistakes were made, errors a plenty, but we have a rushing game, and a pressure D, and yes, we lost to a team that I believe we could have beat, should have beat, but oh how joyous I feel about the future and direction of our program. It has been a very long time, since we lost a game, where I came away feeling we are OK. Should be a fun season, with improved play each week. Get well Adrian M!!!

I couldn't agree more. Yes it was a disappointing loss fraught with numerous mistakes but those all would appear to be fixable and the future, for the first time in many many years, looks bright.

35 minutes ago, JimmyBuckets said:

Random thought from thinking back about the game. Did anyone else think Tyjon Lindsey looked slow on his punt returns?

Yes.  He is faster than he showed Saturday.  He ran somewhat uncertain and tentative in his few touches last year too.  It will improve with game reps and confidence.

9 hours ago, RedSavage said:

I'm pretty optimistic about this team going forward but one criticism:  I learned that one area Frost needs to work on as a coach is having his teams play more disciplined football.  UCF was a very highly penalized team under Frost&co.  Let's hope this was more first game mistakes for us and not an ongoing trend.

maybe its the biproduct of the Frost motto of playing fast?  

1 hour ago, JimmyBuckets said:

Random thought from thinking back about the game. Did anyone else think Tyjon Lindsey looked slow on his punt returns?

Not sure if I heard on a call in show or on here, but a comment was that TJ isn't as fast as he thinks he is.  Maybe he just needs to be more decisive   

16 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yeah it seemed like Frost was a little upset about that since he mentioned it in the post game presser. I can understand it though. Coming into the game late to try and win it is probably an insane feeling. Who knows if some snaps against Akron would have helped with the nerves a little.