What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

suh_fan93

9 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Couldnt agree more. yes we lost but almost every phase across the game was improved from what we have seen. Sure we have lots to clean up- but its the first game and we played ALOT of young guys. Freshman are going to make mistakes. 

Everyone needs to chill out who is stressed because we didnt win 70-0 our first game. Go back and look at current iconic coaches in their first season taking over a historical program who had fallen on hard times. I will pick the only 2 recent ones I can think of. Nick Saban went 7-6 overall- 4-4 in SEC. Pete Carroll went 5-7. Point being- struggling in year 1 reflects nothing on Frost. The team passed the eyeball test in game 1 as far as the direction of the team.

I don't think anyone is upset that we didn't win 70-0 or is calling for anyone's head or anything like that.

But I think some folks have grown weary with seeing NU lose games they should have won thru self inflicted wounds, which is what we've all sat thru for the last two decades. Of course there's reasons to be encouraged, but it's difficult not to think "We've seen this before." 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I learned that what is broken can be fixed and fixed quickly.  It is not a 'systems' issue.  We aren't plugging players into a wrong system.  The fumbles and the dropped balls can be fixed - the fact is we were moving the ball on all of those plays/drives - it isn't a system thing. So no need for doom and gloom like so many posters on this tread.  Reed made a bonehead play that kept the Colo drive going - aided by a questionable ref call.  I think he, Morgan, Speilman will be looking at their 3 specific plays and be determined not to make the same mistakes again. 

The fire, the intensity I saw on both sides of the ball speaks loudly to the potential going forward.   The D front 7-8 was a night vs day difference from last year.  And the running game, in spite of the fumbles and the 4th down woes, was a dramatic improvement - this against a quality P5 team.  AM showed the calmness of a veteran for the most part  (except on that almost pick six - glad the knee was down), he had some beautiful passes - the long TD pass to JD was especially nice and he hit Morgan on the number between defenders for a TD that was dropped.    The system will work and I think we finally got the right system to match with the right players and it will only get better next year as Frost gets more players who fit the system.  And this year will get better also as current players become more comfortable in the system.  If this had been our game 2 - I think we would have beat Colo by 3-4 TDs - as it was we should have, could have beat them by 14 - with only better execution on 2 of the plays (fumbles, drops, penalties).   I'm disappointed that we loss, but I'm encouraged by the future.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
57 minutes ago, Fru said:

I don't think anyone is upset that we didn't win 70-0 or is calling for anyone's head or anything like that.

But I think some folks have grown weary with seeing NU lose games they should have won thru self inflicted wounds, which is what we've all sat thru for the last two decades. Of course there's reasons to be encouraged, but it's difficult not to think "We've seen this before." 

My message to those fans is that one shortened off season does not fix all of the past issues that led to those self inflicted wounds. I think SF will fix them, but we have to remember we have players who remember/played in Bo's final year and played through all three of the MR years. Those cultures are still here even if they are starting to change.

20 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

My message to those fans is that one shortened off season does not fix all of the past issues that led to those self inflicted wounds. I think SF will fix them, but we have to remember we have players who remember/played in Bo's final year and played through all three of the MR years. Those cultures are still here even if they are starting to change.

One thing I noticed though...all 3 turnovers were made by SF recruited players. Don't think its an issue but those plays weren't made by guys who were in contact with past regimes.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

One thing I noticed though...all 3 turnovers were made by SF recruited players. Don't think its an issue but those plays weren't made by guys who were in contact with past regimes.

And those guys were playing their first games at the D-1 level, and the CU guys made good plays to cause the turnovers.  Past regime guys made plenty of mistakes, too, including key pass drops by Morgan and Spielman.

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And those guys were playing their first games at the D-1 level, and the CU guys made good plays to cause the turnovers.  Past regime guys made plenty of mistakes, too, including key pass drops by Morgan and Spielman.

Wasn't making a critique just an observation, as did you. I would say the CU guy made a great play on Bells fumble. Martinez made freshman mistakes on his turnovers imo. In reality I take optimism in my observation. There were mistakes by everyone but I think we have seen our sloppiest game of the season already.

On 9/9/2018 at 7:55 AM, HuskerJax said:

I learned I can still enjoy Husker football. Despite the loss, it was great to see aggression on defense and some confidence and swagger on offense. Now that the first game is in the books, this team can learn from its mistakes and grow. Hopefully Martinez isn’t out for a long time, but if he is the other play makers will have to fill the void. All in all I am very encouraged by what I saw. GBR!

That was the most enjoyable game I have seen in the last 3 years

• Plus1 1

There was a lot to like about the new scheme, the line play, Adrian Martinez, and the general excitement level, and I think we will be fine, too.

But come on. It's a little amusing to see the same people who were appalled by turnovers, penalties, fourth quarter pass plays, shaky clock management, and the acceptance of mediocrity in previous regimes, now feeling upbeat about a home loss to a Pac 12 bottom dweller and blaming it on the players, refs and the old coaching staff. 

If Martinez isn't healthy, there will be an asterisk to this season and I'll recant my best wishes for Tristan Gebbia. So there's a chance this season won't be so fine, even if Frost will be doing exactly what's needed.

The toughest part for me is the very likely scenario that if the Akron game hadn't been cancelled, Nebraska would be 2-0 and Martinez wouldn't be hurt. 

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

This loss was not a result of lack of effort or crappy schemes, which is what we had gotten used to.

Yes - I would say this is the first loss we've seen in awhile where the team looked like they never quit and really put some of their best collective effort in. Unfortunately, Nebraska's ceiling just isn't very high. They've also got to learn how to win again and close out.

And, to be honest, color me unimpressed with the Buffs. This is their fifth year in the MacIntyre era and that's where they're at... a nail biting victory over a team that was 4-8, a true frosh at QB and a roster that's seen a lot of turnover? That trajectory isn't looking great even though they've got some NFL talent at a couple positions.

• Plus1 1

I will keep my “what did we learn comment short”.

I learned. 

NO; re-learned, what a football team and coaching staff was supposed to look like here at Nebraska. Composed but intense, driven not content

Yes, mistakes were made, errors a plenty, but we have a rushing game, and a pressure D, and yes, we lost to a team that I believe we could have beat, should have beat, but oh how joyous I feel about the future and direction of our program. It has been a very long time, since we lost a game, where I came away feeling we are OK. Should be a fun season, with improved play each week. Get well Adrian M!!!

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1