***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2023***

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

2010 was the #9 defense in the country and finished with 30 sacks and 19 ints!.  2023 is currently the 22nd defense in the country with 24 sacks and 5 ints.  This defense should end up with more than 30 sacks unless it goes on a serious drought.  They will be lucky if they end up with 10 ints this year.  

On 10/23/2023 at 8:51 AM, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

2010 was the #9 defense in the country and finished with 30 sacks and 19 ints!.  2023 is currently the 22nd defense in the country with 24 sacks and 5 ints.  This defense should end up with more than 30 sacks unless it goes on a serious drought.  They will be lucky if they end up with 10 ints this year.  

The secondary in '10 was one of the best we've ever had.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

I remember watching this live thinking, "How did he make that tackle?" That play was set up for a long gain.

I really love this defense. Feels like the 90's with how many hats swarm to the ball and how the looks are so aggressive and in your face pre-snap.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

8 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I really love this defense. Feels like the 90's with how many hats swarm to the ball and how the looks are so aggressive and in your face pre-snap.

It is reminiscent of that. And just basic fundamental tackling. So many times we've seen guys getting beat one-on-one these past several years, but this year it seems like we're making that tackle more than half the time. 

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It is reminiscent of that. And just basic fundamental tackling. So many times we've seen guys getting beat one-on-one these past several years, but this year it seems like we're making that tackle more than half the time. 

I was thinking about this during the NW game.  In years past, we would have someone get in the back field but totally whiff on the sack.  This year, we have guys that can actually land the hit.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I was thinking about this during the NW game.  In years past, we would have someone get in the back field but totally whiff on the sack.  This year, we have guys that can actually land the hit.

And I don't think it's due to greater talent. These guys have just been taught by better coaches. This is why Iowa had a seven-game winning streak against us. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
58 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Gifford's stop was a prime example of good fundamental tackling but also the WILL to stop a runner/receiver in their tracks.  HCMR highlighted his effort.  What could have been a very long catch & run ended up being a 'short of the chains' gain.   As you mentioned, just doing what is fundamentally right is making such a huge difference.  It is actually fun watching Nebraska D again.  And as you mentioned in your 2nd post directly above - it is basically with the same players - just much better coaching.  That is why I'm optimistic  :koolaid2:long term.   Keep this D staff in place for many years and we can & will be able to forget about how good the 90s were.  

Meanwhile, a seasoned vet, junior safety Isaac Gifford, had another seven-tackle game, including a spectacular one-armed takedown of Cam Porter on a third-and-10 screen pass that appeared ready to spring for big yardage in the third quarter. Gifford held Porter to a six-yard gain and forced a punt.

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/mental-toughness-belief-on-upswing-in-rhules-husker-football-program

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And in the rare times that someone overpursues or doesn't square up, their presence causes enough of a delay that when the ball carrier makes a move and beats them there's 4-6 other red jerseys there cleaning up. You absolutely love to see it.

• Oh Yeah! 2

17 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Gifford's stop was a prime example of good fundamental tackling but also the WILL to stop a runner/receiver in their tracks.  HCMR highlighted his effort.  What could have been a very long catch & run ended up being a 'short of the chains' gain.   As you mentioned, just doing what is fundamentally right is making such a huge difference.  It is actually fun watching Nebraska D again.  And as you mentioned in your 2nd post directly above - it is basically with the same players - just much better coaching.  That is why I'm optimistic  :koolaid2:long term.   Keep this D staff in place for many years and we can & will be able to forget about how good the 90s were.  

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/mental-toughness-belief-on-upswing-in-rhules-husker-football-program

They do seem like very good tacklers this year.  Even more than that, they swarm to the ball.  I think that is coaching and scheme.  

When I switched to a 3-5-3, my concern was teams running on us, that ended up being something that hardly happened.  My other concern was if my neighbor was using my wi-fi, my third concern was about gang tackling and the 3-5-3 just seems to create situations where so many players are around the ball.  I know 3-5-3 is not the same as the 3-3-5 but at the HS level it was a godsend.  

For a freshmen game once, I installed it during pre-game in the classroom before heading out to warm up.

We were 0-8 I think and had been getting smoked.  Last game of the season after a 10 minute instal of the 3-5-3, we were tied 0-0 going in to OT where we ended up losing 6-0.  But the D was sooooo good.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

We were 0-8 I think and had been getting smoked.  Last game of the season after a 10 minute instal of the 3-5-3, we were tied 0-0 going in to OT where we ended up losing 6-0.  But the D was sooooo good.

You’ve never mentioned before that your HS team was a member of the B1G West division.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5
  • TBH 1
23 hours ago, knapplc said:

I remember watching this live thinking, "How did he make that tackle?" That play was set up for a long gain.

Was listening to the game on the radio when this play occurred, Benning was real excited over that effort and “starred” that play as a big moment in the game. 

Also, pretty close to a clipping. NW with a clear push in the back. Oh well.