** 2023 Opponent Preview : Northern Illinois (Game 3) **

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The running game was keeping us in it until Simmms started giving the ball away. We can't discount that strategy because one player turned into a turnover machine. 

The defense was doing great for 2.5 quarters, but at some point altitude and the ineptitude of our offense became too great a burden for them to bear. 

I agree, the strategy was fine, but no strategy could overcome the turnovers. I"m just saying the combination of running and passing was keeping us in the game. If we try to run it more than the 2:1 splits we've been running -- and some folks here don't want Sims throwing at all -- it will be that much easier for DCs to plan against. We just have to get better at everything we do. 

In two games Sims has had 19 attempts and 15 attempts. Believe it or not, those are Tom Osborne era numbers. Nobody is going away from the run. 

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I agree, the strategy was fine, but no strategy could overcome the turnovers. I"m just saying the combination of running and passing was keeping us in the game. If we try to run it more than the 2:1 splits we've been running -- and some folks here don't want Sims throwing at all -- it will be that much easier for DCs to plan against. We just have to get better at everything we do. 

In two games Sims has had 19 attempts and 15 attempts. Believe it or not, those are Tom Osborne era numbers. Nobody is going away from the run. 

I'm being a bit pedantic, but those aren't even Tom Osborne numbers: those are Frank Solich numbers. 

If the Huskers are going to win against Nor Illinois, with or without Sims, I gotta see it for myself.  Plain and simple.  

Before the season began, sure I figured this was a simple 10-17 point win on a Saturday evening.

Huskers have to prove they can win before I anticipate them to win, no matter who they play.  Including Nor Illinois, LaTech, Northwestern, etc.  

Getting too old to say we should win because we have better talent and facilities and blue blood tradition on our side. 

Huskers keep finding ways to not come through.  I'm not down or upset about that, because that feeling started running it's course years and years ago. 

So now I'm just a fan excited about a Husker football game to watch, but as far as winning the game "I will believe it when I see it"  kind of guy. 

Is that so wrong?  Because it feels right and rational IMHO and keeps my head on straight.  Still going to root for Husker football wins, be hopeful and all, but they got to prove it when it comes down to winning.  No matter who they play.  Even playing FCS games can be incredibly difficult to pull off.  G5 opponents are harder to win against and P5 opponents even harder.  

Good luck Huskers.  Will be watching to see if you can beat Nor Illinois.  

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Might want to check out Scott Frost senior year. Not far off at 14.66 carries per game. 

You're right, but I can accept that as a statistical outlier, at least going back a few years; he averaged 10 a game in '96. In regards to other Osborne QBs and their highest-volume years of rushing attempts/game:

- '97 Frost: 15/game

- '93 Frazier: 11/g

- '91 McCant: 10/g

- '89 Gdowski: 10/g

- '86/'87/'88 Taylor: 13/g

- No other Osborne QBs averaged over 10 carries a game. 

Solich QBs, by comparison:

- '98 Newcombe: 14/game (I can accept this as an outlier, given his position swaps)

- '98 Crouch: 12/g

- '99 Crouch: 15/g

- '00 Crouch: 15/g

- '01 Crouch: 17/g

- '02 Lord: 18/g

- '03 Lord: 17/g

(Now, the "For S's and G's section):

- '12 T. Martinez: 14/g

- '19 A. Martinez: 14/g

- '23 Sims: 15/g

22 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oops. I was talking about passing attempts. Sims had 19 attempts both rushing and passing against Minnesota. He only had 10 rushing attempts against Colorado, as more touches went to the RBs. Point being we could lean into the running game more, but even Tom Osborne let his QBs pass 15 - 20 times a game to keep defenses honest, and they weren't great passers. Great play-action and safe routes made for good ypa and low interceptions despite their 50% completion rates.  

• Fire 1
6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oops. I was talking about passing attempts. Sims had 19 attempts both rushing and passing against Minnesota. He only had 10 rushing attempts against Colorado, as more touches went to the RBs. Point being we could lean into the running game more, but even Tom Osborne let his QBs pass 15 - 20 times a game to keep defenses honest, and they weren't great passers. Great play-action and safe routes made for good ypa and low interceptions despite their 50% completion rates.  

This is my hope going forward in the season. Less might be more as far as play calling.Triple action rpo with 15 designed qb runs and the occasional go ball. Just get our best athletes in space and hope for some yac in the pass game. The offense has some parts that don’t match but it’s time to settle in and find a serviceable identity. And please let the young lineman in on pass rush downs. 

On 9/12/2023 at 11:16 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

The number of pass attempts by Sims hasn’t been the issue.   The issue is the type of pass attempts called. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The number of pass attempts by Sims hasn’t been the issue.   The issue is the type of pass attempts called. 

Or has it been more of an issue the way he has stared down receivers and looked right at defenders before throwing it directly to them?  I’m not ready to blame the play calling when the QB has been just absolutely horrible at seeing the field and making decisions.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Or has it been more of an issue the way he has stared down receivers and looked right at defenders before throwing it directly to them?  I’m not ready to blame the play calling when the QB has been just absolutely horrible at seeing the field and making decisions.

I definitely agree with you that receivers have open and Sims is quite pathetic so far passing the ball (usually in straight drop back situations).   So when I criticize the play calling, it’s in the terms of Sat calling drop back read passes when the QB clearly can’t handle it.   

So maybe more bootleg one read passes, play action 2 read high/low then take off and run if either isn’t open, and quite frankly a few go routes down the sidelines to our most athletic receivers once in awhile.  

Hopefully that clarifies what I meant because I agree with you play calling for a normal QB hasn’t been as bad as it seems.   It’s just a shame the OC didn’t adjust to what he has yet.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I definitely agree with you that receivers have open and Sims is quite pathetic so far passing the ball (usually in straight drop back situations).   So when I criticize the play calling, it’s in the terms of Sat calling drop back read passes when the QB clearly can’t handle it.   

So maybe more bootleg one read passes, play action 2 read high/low then take off and run if either isn’t open, and quite frankly a few go routes down the sidelines to our most athletic receivers once in awhile.  

Hopefully that clarifies what I meant because I agree with you play calling for a normal QB hasn’t been as bad as it seems.   It’s just a shame the OC didn’t adjust to what he has yet.  

I’ll agree with that. He is obviously not a QB you want dropping back and staying in the pocket. I’m not convinced he is a QB you want taking any snaps from center (shotgun or under center). Scary thing is, it appears he might be the best in the room. Guess we’ll find out Saturday why the coaches wouldn’t pull him last week or if they just screwed the pooch.

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

As an ex-QB I know what you are saying as an ex-QB as well.  But I disagree with this.  Hear me out.

Play action is good, but works more in a counter style within this offense. Because we don't have the straight ahead running threat.  So I agree with PA in a specific way.  But I do not feel good about him rolling outside of the tackles looking downfield.  Don't like it with Sims.  Didn't like it with 2AM or TMart.  Nowhere to run.  Won't throw it out of bounds and live another day.  And the urge to make a play and throw across the field isn't a good choice.  So this idea of a play has limitations.

I also don't agree that it's a Sat issue.  This cool kid is a grown man in his 4th year of playing.  He's had plenty of talks in the QB room and during practices......  how to throw into windows, how to read coverages, how to read safeties and linebackers in space.  And, he's not little like Doug Flutie.  The young man is 6'4 and can see the field.  

He has a strong arm and can be accurate with enough time.  He doesn't step into the pocket like CT did and fire it, or like most good college QBs and Pros do.  

It seems to me that for every few good plays, he has terrible decision making.  The game is slow when you can make good reads and quick, smart decisions.  The game is fast and awful when you feel pressured to do something and can't make up your mind.  You should know stuff as the QB, in your 4th year of starting college football games.  

You or me, of course we can take advantage of fake handoff to the left and roll to the right and make the right decision and throw hi/low, tuck it and run or throw it away.  Sims and other NU QBs cannot make that play.  Or so it seems.

Sat is an OC.  He wasn't brought on to teach QBs the basics they should know.  He has a scheme, to run the offense, and it is up to the QB to carry it out, do the plays that they practiced and talked about a lot.  And these Qbs today are getting paid good NIL.  

I suggest that if Sims is healthy, the OC and HC cannot be turnover-struck in calling plays.  And same with the backups when the decision comes to put them in the game (or start).  Run your offense.  QBs need to play better, smarter, think quicker, make some reads, make quicker decisions, step into the pocket, and run if need be.  I am tired of seeing QBs not know how to play and play well.  The game can slow down so much for them if they just do their job better, and stop being so overwhelmed and nervous and scared or whatever it is.

@Archy1221 Although, I don't have much room to talk.  I'll never forget a great line my coach told me at halftime.  I threw an INT in three straight games.  But then I threw 2 picks in the 2nd quarter, and one was right before half when we were threatening to score.  

He had great wisdom and funny punch lines.  He chewed out the LBs, the OL, the WRs and then yelled at me:

Coach:    "Admo!  Do you want the other team to win?!!!!!"

Me:    "Nooo!"

Coach:   "Then stop helping them!"

:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound

But yeah he was right