** 2023 Opponent Preview : Michigan (Game 5) **

Depending on health on the defensive side, I'd guess something like 24-10 Michigan. But if Reimer can't go and some of the DL are dealing with things (Lenhardt missed last week and I don't think Gunnerson is 100%), and/or we turn it over 3+ times it could get ugly. 

I think there are scenarios where we can make this a game. But it would take consistency on offense and turnovers on defense, neither of which we've hinted at being able to do so far.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Michigan hasn't scored more than 35 points in a game this year, and we are the best defensive team they will have played to date. NIU is actually statistically better than any defense Michigan has played yet.

On the flip side, Michigan is the 3rd ranked defense nationally...

That is true.  And I do love the way our defense has tackled this year, and their overall play.  

26 minutes ago, admo said:

I'm thinking that if a Husker fan isn't going to the game, they should just record it and skip the weekend.  Maybe check it out the highlights the following Tuesday.  For mental health.  

I'm going to the game.  But, if I weren't, I'd be sitting in front of my TV till the last second ticked off just like always.  I see absolutely no reason not to.  I'm not going to have mental issues if we lose.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm going to the game.  But, if I weren't, I'd be sitting in front of my TV till the last second ticked off just like always.  I see absolutely no reason not to.  I'm not going to have mental issues if we lose.

That sounds so fun!!!  Wish I could be there

Yeah, I will watch it all the way until :00.  But, there are some posters who freak out, even when we are 3 touchdown underdogs.  And that is who I am really talking to. 

12 minutes ago, admo said:

That sounds so fun!!!  Wish I could be there

Yeah, I will watch it all the way until :00.  But, there are some posters who freak out, even when we are 3 touchdown underdogs.  And that is who I am really talking to. 

This game is gonna be tough sledding and all I’m hoping for is NU to be competitive into the fourth quarter (down by 2 touchdowns or less).  Realistically I’m thinking it will be much worse given the offense, but let’s try and be competitive and make Michigan work hard for every score. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

On 9/24/2023 at 10:43 AM, Archy1221 said:

I guess the team will have to figure out some way they were “being disrespected” this week in order to compete in the game :D.  

This seems to be the way so many programs are “getting up for games”.    It’s a joke how much that disrespected card is being played this year.  

If you do that…you become Michigan State. You don’t want that.

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

Michigan hasn't scored more than 35 points in a game this year, and we are the best defensive team they will have played to date. NIU is actually statistically better than any defense Michigan has played yet.

On the flip side, Michigan is the 3rd ranked defense nationally...

Michigan treated the first 3 games like NFL preseason. Keeping kids healthy was priority 1. They limited carries for the backs. Lots of freshman receivers got reps. They looked for a backup QB. The 1st and second string OLs were mix and match. The tackles were still rotating versus Rutgers…1 quarter per half each. Their starting QB was literally taking 90 degree angles for the sideline to keep from getting hit. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
19 minutes ago, nic said:

Michigan treated the first 3 games like NFL preseason. Keeping kids healthy was priority 1. They limited carries for the backs. Lots of freshman receivers got reps. They looked for a backup QB. The 1st and second string OLs were mix and match. The tackles were still rotating versus Rutgers…1 quarter per half each. Their starting QB was literally taking 90 degree angles for the sideline to keep from getting hit. 

Our D has been great, but this is by far the best defense our O will have played. They won't be able the keep the ball and our D can't hold up forever. I think Michigan ends with 200+ rushing just to kill clock and go home.

1 hour ago, nic said:

I see it too and agree.

Think about it, how far Michigan has flipped the script.  In the last 2 years they beat the Big Ten bullies twice - Ohio State.  They earned their way into the CFB playoffs.  They have a stout OL, great running backs, JJ McCarthy at QB, and a tough nosed defense.  Of course, in the playoffs TCU ripped apart that defense, but it also showed Michigan that they have to play tougher and better on D.  Right now they are a top 3 defense in the country.  Which means, lessons learned.  And yeah, the competition hasn't been good at all, but it does build your confidence because that is what non-con cupcake games are supposed to do.  The difference between Michigan's defense and our Husker defense is that we had to play a Big Ten opener on the road at Minnesota, and on the road against the super-hyper circus show at Colorado.  The Huskers lost, but our defense got their early season punches in and felt the punches too.  Which is a slight advantage to the Blackshirts.  

Offensively, there is no comparison.  It would take a perfect played game by Sims/HH and game calling by Satt in this one to score 24-28 points, plus the Blackshirts forcing punts and coming up with sacks and turnovers.  To me my friend, that is a lot to ask.  

6 minutes ago, admo said:

I see it too and agree.

Think about it, how far Michigan has flipped the script.  In the last 2 years they beat the Big Ten bullies twice - Ohio State.  They earned their way into the CFB playoffs.  They have a stout OL, great running backs, JJ McCarthy at QB, and a tough nosed defense.  Of course, in the playoffs TCU ripped apart that defense, but it also showed Michigan that they have to play tougher and better on D.  Right now they are a top 3 defense in the country.  Which means, lessons learned.  And yeah, the competition hasn't been good at all, but it does build your confidence because that is what non-con cupcake games are supposed to do.  The difference between Michigan's defense and our Husker defense is that we had to play a Big Ten opener on the road at Minnesota, and on the road against the super-hyper circus show at Colorado.  The Huskers lost, but our defense got their early season punches in and felt the punches too.  Which is a slight advantage to the Blackshirts.  

Offensively, there is no comparison.  It would take a perfect played game by Sims/HH and game calling by Satt in this one to score 24-28 points, plus the Blackshirts forcing punts and coming up with sacks and turnovers.  To me my friend, that is a lot to ask.  

Everything I have read points to how much Michigan respects the Husker D, fans included. First road game for Michigan too, in a great venue. I believe NU D should have beaten CU if the QB holds on to the ball. The NU offense is going to have to sustain drives to keep this one close though. It will be a good test for Ms run D. Last week the Rutgers QB had some success keeping the ball. Last week was also the first time Ms first string DBs started. Michigan's Oline is still not set. Maybe NUs D can take advantage of that. 

• Plus1 1

Being honest and fair with my take so don't think i am a hater.  We have not played a really good offensive attack that can run the ball like Michigan can.  Sure Colorado was a good offense, but couldn't run for a lick.  Minnesota is a shell of what Minnesota has been in the past few years running the ball.  So what we will find out is if our defense is legit and if our offense can do anything positive to help out our defense.  I think we are still a year away from being a solid team on both sides of the ball.  I think the defense right now is solid, but i think we will see it get better with more recruits and coaching.  Question is right now, will we keep gaining ground on the Big 10 or will we lose ground going forward.  Wisky is improving each week, and Purdue is not as bad as I thought.  Illinois is still not a good team, but not bad.  MInnesota is like I thought, not good and barely might get bowl bound.  Northwestern is awful, but willing to stay scrappy.  Iowa is Iowa once again.  So can we keep improving to win some of these winnable games?  Thats what I want to see.  This game against Michigan is what it is right now, but after this game, we should have a 50/50 shot to win alot of those games.  Can we ?

I think that before the season even began, most of us had this chalked up as a definite “L”. And that was before we knew Sims stared down his intended targets and hiked the ball when the motion man was in the way. It was before we knew we would be without Gabe & Rahmir. It was before we knew that Corcoran would make NO improvements.

On the plus side, it was before we knew that Fidone would begin fulfilling hopes & expectations. It was before we knew that Haarberg was more than a serviceable backup. It was before we knew our rushing game could be #6 in the country and our defense bring some serious honor back to the name “Blackshirts”.

To have a puncher’s chance, I think we need to come out on the first offensive play of the game, roll away from Corcoran and throw a bomb to Coleman/Lloyd. We need a defensive TD and some stellar Special Teams play.

In my dreams, I can hear Chris Berman recapping the NU/Michigan highlights saying “And THAT’S why they play the games”.

• Oh Yeah! 1