** 2023 Opponent Preview : Michigan (Game 5) **

3 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Last week looked to be their worst so hoping they clean it up. Also hoping we don’t make silly mistakes by being overhyped. 

Right - if there is a week to just do your job and do it well, this is it. Also hoping we're healthy, it could be a really long day if we're short a guy or two on the DL or at LB.

For example replacing Lenhardt with Jeudy terrifies me - maybe the rest of his plays were great, and formation-wise this is not what Michigan will try to do. But people got so caught up in the missed tackle from Gbayor and Newsome that we missed Jeudy getting knocked 7 yards back when he's supposed to set the edge. If we can't do things like set the edge and tackle reliably, even getting a couple turnovers won't matter.

9 hours ago, Micheal said:

Blackshirts have to have their best game of the year to win this one. I don't think we have seen their best so it might as well be this one!

Something akin to the OU game in ‘09 would absolutely awesome. “It’s not about yards Ma’am, it’s about points.”

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

just watched some highlights of the Bowling Green game.  Didn't realize it was just like the Rutgers game.  They were playing ok and hanging in there at 14-6 in the 3rd quarter when deep in their own territory they threw an INT on a rb screen and Mich took it to the goal line.  As long as Satt doesn't call that play in our own territory in the 3rd quarter I think we will be ok.  

Also bowling green was getting pressure on the Qb so I wouldn't see why Nebraska's D line can't.  Especially with Leinhardt back this week.  I'm pretty positive the D will keep BC under 100yrds.  Maybe not total rushing because I still think JJ will break off a couple chunk plays and they will probably hit us with a reverse or jet sweep that will end up as a big play.  

• Oh Yeah! 1

The breakdown of our defense is up as well. They're a little bit limited by which game(s) to watch film on, no one we've played is particularly similar to Michigan. And the closest one is Minnesota, but every time has changed for the better or worse from game 1 to game 5. So some of the takes I question a bit (maybe just bad games for certain guys), but all in all I think they make up for that with actual grading and no blind spots that we develop as fans for certain players. 

https://mgoblog.com/content/fee-fi-foe-film-nebraska-defense-2023

TL;DR - they are not particularly worried, and expect to wear down the defense. Our run defense has been really good, but the YPG/YPC numbers are being driven down by huge sack numbers against Colorado and relatively few true rush attempts to cancel that out. They're very impressed by the improvements on defense (particularly Hutmacher and Newsome), but not at all scared by our offense. Which all seems about in line with what we expect - it might stay close for a bit, but the outcome feels inevitable. Hoping for some chaos in the form of offensive creativity and turnovers from the defense, but not betting on it. I also like this assessment:

Michigan should worry about: It’s one thing to know months ahead of time that you’re playing a triple option-type team. It’s quite another thing to only have a couple of weeks notice.

Michigan can sleep soundly about: Nebraska ALSO didn’t know Nebraska was going to be running the option this year until a couple of weeks ago.

• Plus1 3

I'm still not buying it, but I was scanning some Michigan boards, and some and many people (not all) are a little nervous about this game.  Calling it a trap game and worried about our defense vs their offense.  Universally they think it will be somewhat close until they pull away a bit.  One dude actually said something funny that rang true..... "one of these days, the Huskers are due for some good luck"

I never could have imagined that.  I still don't think it will be close.  But I still will be excited by time the kickoff happens.  And watch and see without any nervousness at all.  

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

The breakdown of our defense is up as well. They're a little bit limited by which game(s) to watch film on, no one we've played is particularly similar to Michigan. And the closest one is Minnesota, but every time has changed for the better or worse from game 1 to game 5. So some of the takes I question a bit (maybe just bad games for certain guys), but all in all I think they make up for that with actual grading and no blind spots that we develop as fans for certain players. 

TL;DR - they are not particularly worried, and expect to wear down the defense. Our run defense has been really good, but the YPG/YPC numbers are being driven down by huge sack numbers against Colorado and relatively few true rush attempts to cancel that out. They're very impressed by the improvements on defense (particularly Hutmacher and Newsome), but not at all scared by our offense. Which all seems about in line with what we expect - it might stay close for a bit, but the outcome feels inevitable. Hoping for some chaos in the form of offensive creativity and turnovers from the defense, but not betting on it. I also like this assessment:

KEY MATCHUP: TURNER CORCORAN vs ANYBODY. I have never seen the like of the above. Block somebody!

6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I like that somebody is at least concerned about us running the option. Maybe, finally, somebody on the D will take the QB and we’ll find out if we can actually pitch it and run an option play. :lol:

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1