** 2023 Opponent Preview : Northwestern (Game 7) **

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

First lawsuit filed on behalf of female Northwestern University athlete as hazing scandal widens (msn.com)

It's a volleyball player, but there's a dumpster fire that's getting bigger.

I've been kind of outspoken on my thoughts around this whole thing.  I have my tin foil hat on and think something bigger is going on here.

Expand your tin foil thinking.  I love a good conspiracy theory.  Systemic to the athletic department, school wide or something even bigger?

Just now, runningblind said:

Expand your tin foil thinking.  I love a good conspiracy theory.  Systemic to the athletic department, school wide or something even bigger?

I’m taking what Jim Rose said.  Northwestern is done (long term) with Power 5 athletics.

They are going to settle with every lawsuit that comes forward.  The perception will be that the athletic department is out of control and very few will challenge the decision to leave B1G and joint something like the Ivy League.

The other concern I have with all these lawsuits is it’s going to encourage lawyers to “ambulance chase” any potential situation at any school in the country.

7 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’m taking what Jim Rose said.  Northwestern is done (long term) with Power 5 athletics.

They are going to settle with every lawsuit that comes forward.  The perception will be that the athletic department is out of control and very few will challenge the decision to leave B1G and joint something like the Ivy League.

The other concern I have with all these lawsuits is it’s going to encourage lawyers to “ambulance chase” any potential situation at any school in the country.

Interesting.  I could see that.  It will be interesting to see the settlements and the effect that has on the 3rd point you make. 

27 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

That is not how I would have phrased it. They shouldn't be expected to answer questions about an investigation, so it makes sense for them to bail. But saying questions regarding some pretty serious issues would "steal focus from football" is pretty tone deaf IMO. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4

Need to make the AD and President sit in front of a mic and answer questions.

The first person from NW that is going to have to be in front of the media is an interim HC who just joined the program 7 months ago.  Actually, I’ll honestly be surprised if he actually shows. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

That is not how I would have phrased it. They shouldn't be expected to answer questions about an investigation, so it makes sense for them to bail. But saying questions regarding some pretty serious issues would "steal focus from football" is pretty tone deaf IMO. 

"We want to continue to hide from this and hope it will go away."

• TBH 3

Please.  It's not like the entire team participated.  That much has been said.  I don't blame those particular guys for not wanting to go and answer to a problem/scandal that possibly wasn't even their fault and has been occurring there for decades.  

Definitely NOT their responsibility.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3