2024 Season Notes

Not sure what's happening with Indiana.. They are getting destroyed at home by Illinois State.. 13-0 (top of 3, 1 out) Currently they are 3-6 over their last 9 games and if today's score hold it will be 3-7. In this stretch they've played some very good competition true. (Bama @ 15-2 record, Dallas Baptist @ 15 - 3 record (1 game each) and a 3 game series with Troy who is also 15-3) Still, losing to teams with below .500 records too and mostly blowouts. Looking at the roster and reading through a few Hoosier articles I didn't read where they've suffered injury other than their Freshman Catcher who was their day 1 starter. He was hurt in that game.

Score as I close now is 14-0 end of 3, Illinois State winning.

Pretty excellent week last week. No real qualms splitting the series with Wichita State as they should be a pretty decent club this year and it allowed Harrahill to get an early taste of big time baseball. I expect him to be sharper in his next outing if they give him the ball again this week against NDSU.

The schedule is shaping up really, really nicely so far. The early season losses don't sting as much as Oklahoma and Texas Tech both look solid and even Baylor won 2/3 from TTU this weekend so if they could get back to respectability that would be huge. This week is sneaky massive, not because the opponents are tough, but because the opponents all STINK this week. This is the worst Omaha team I've seen in the past 5+ years and NDSU is just not great either. Two sneaky landmines on Tue/Wed, the weather is going to be kinda sucky, just big time 'gotta take care of business' games. New Mexico State not as bad, they at least have a pulse.

After this week, the non-con is pretty solid. You midweek games outside of SDSU are all against teams having solid seasons. KU/KState/Creighton all have pretty solid clubs this year and won't be RPI black holes if Nebraska drops a game to them.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Pretty excellent week last week. No real qualms splitting the series with Wichita State as they should be a pretty decent club this year and it allowed Harrahill to get an early taste of big time baseball. I expect him to be sharper in his next outing if they give him the ball again this week against NDSU.

They're starting McConnaughey on Tuesday and Walsh on Wednesday.

https://huskers.com/news/2024/03/18/bsb-preview-vs-omaha-and-ndsu

• Thanks 1

So, as of 3.19.2024, here are the teams current pitching stats.. any surprises in there? I'd say my biggest surprise is Kyle Perry having only 5.2 innings pitched. Before the season started I fully expected Kyle to be our mid-week starter but honestly, I like how Childress & Bolt are using Kyle. 

ERAon3_19_24.png.7f90e0d07eae81de5a87f5887583e8c5.png

• Thanks 1

I think Tims (timmerman) is an important piece. He can throw that nasty stuff but he likely needs to develop it in the summer leagues. Situational this year and then see what fall ball brings but still, his situational arm will be an important part this year. Caleb I think is an emergency go to guy, situational, 1 out type arm this year. Use him that way and let him build his confidence especially in games like last nights where the outcome was never really in doubt. I know they're also developing daiss as their closer but I'd have like to see them throw Caleb in that situation. 

2 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Competition is not as good as past years, but not the worse.

Well they have played the 21st toughest schedule year to day so far according to the RPI so I would say this team is pretty darn good over being a product of a soft schedule. 

Warren Nolan RPI

• TBH 2
16 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Well they have played the 21st toughest schedule year to day so far according to the RPI so I would say this team is pretty darn good over being a product of a soft schedule. 

Warren Nolan RPI

The rpi that had Nicholls st. In the top 20 & has not won a game since our series.  Baseball is one of those sports that rpi is inconsistent until the second half of the season.

This is a good year.  And they haven't even peaked yet.  

I think there are some legit concerns that need to be addressed and changed, but if they can do that (identify and make changes), this will become a very special team.  

Please don't wait too long to address patterns and red flags that will get you into trouble down the road.  If you are managing this team you know what they are.  So get after it now, but do it nice and easy.  

So far I am liking what we are seeing for the most part. 

I know I am biased, but I think Sears got screwed out of being named Big 10 pitcher of the week, for probably the second or third time. The kid from Rutgers went a compligame, allowed 4 hits, 1 walk, 9 k, 0 runs….. Sears went 8, with 2 hits, 9k, 0 walks and 0 runs. Not his fault that he didn’t get the opportunity to finish. Also privy deserved it after South Alabama when he went a complete 8, with 7k, 0 walks, 0 runs…. I understand it isn’t about individual awards, but I truly believe he is one of the top pitchers in the league (after 6 weeks)…. It could all change in a hurry, but as of now !