2023 Fall Camp Notes - Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

Kemp and Coleman looked to be the first two at the X position.  Elliott Brown and Alex Bullock were next.

IGC and Fleeks looked to be the first Z guys.  then Lloyd and Cooper Hausmann.

To no surprise, Fidone and Boerkircher looked to be the top TEs.  Then Gilbert, fwiw.

Rhule said " I don't know that we need any of the Freshmen to play wideout."

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 4
10 hours ago, Mavric said:

Kemp and Coleman looked to be the first two at the X position.  Elliott Brown and Alex Bullock were next.

IGC and Fleeks looked to be the first Z guys.  then Lloyd and Cooper Hausmann.

To no surprise, Fidone and Boerkircher looked to be the top TEs.  Then Gilbert, fwiw.

Rhule said " I don't know that we need any of the Freshmen to play wideout."

You can't read too much into depth charts yet, but it's good to hear Coleman at least isn't way down on the depth chart. It's been kinda hard to tell from the press conference comments.

I also hadn't really thought about the fact that 3-WR won't be our default look, so Kemp can't exclusively play the slot. It's a good opportunity for him to prove he can be more than just a slot guy, even if that's his best fit and where he'll be when we do go 3-WR. 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I also hadn't really thought about the fact that 3-WR won't be our default look, so Kemp can't exclusively play the slot. It's a good opportunity for him to prove he can be more than just a slot guy, even if that's his best fit and where he'll be when we do go 3-WR. 

This is a really good point that I hadn't thought of at all, either.

Although @brophog has told us that we'll actually be playing more 3-wide and even spread than most people think.    ;)

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Odd that they are playing the same position.  Seem like 2 totally different types of receivers.

Kemp is 5'9", Coleman is 6'4"

I'll get hammered by the Kool-Aid drinkers for saying this - and I admit it's total speculation - but assuming it's all accurate, it may speak to how poorly the WR room is doing in general.

Because you're absolutely right - it is odd.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'll get hammered by the Kool-Aid drinkers for saying this - and I admit it's total speculation - but assuming it's all accurate, it may speak to how poorly the WR room is doing in general.

Because you're absolutely right - it is odd.

I think this is mainly due to Kemp being experienced and being able to play multiple receiver spots, and not just the slot.  So, when NU only has 2 WR's (X and Y) in the formation, they are going to put Kemp out wide.  If NU does go 3-wide, that's potentially when Kemp will slide inside.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think this is mainly due to Kemp being experienced and being able to play multiple receiver spots, and not just the slot.  So, when NU only has 2 WR's (X and Y) in the formation, they are going to put Kemp out wide.  If NU does go 3-wide, that's potentially when Kemp will slide inside.

Totally agree with you.

It's just kind of like in 2019 where our best receiver was a little guy (Spielman). You work with what you've got, but you'd love it if you could have that guy that's at least like 6'1" out there in the wideout spot as a starter.

*Edit: probably an unfair comment towards Washington to say Kemp is "our best receiver." Not necessarily accurate at all.

Maybe I don't entirely understand what Marcus Washington's status is, though. Is he currently not out there in camp due to injury?

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, Undone said:

Edit: probably an unfair comment towards Washington to say Kemp is "our best receiver." Not necessarily accurate at all.

I think saying Kemp is out best WR is accurate.  Production-wise he is light years ahead of Washington.

19 minutes ago, Undone said:

Maybe I don't entirely understand what Marcus Washington's status is, though. Is he currently not out there in camp due to injury?

Had a broken hand so missed the first handful of practices.  Then turned his ankle (or something leg related) his first of second practice.  And hasn't practiced in full since.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Whew.  Now we don't have to hear about the walk-ons that are playing major snaps.

LMBO! :lol:  Yes this is true!  And good for Bullock, and the coaches for recognizing when a player should be on schollie (and practice with top 3 units during the season and travel with team for road games).  Heard his name (Bullock) throughout the offseason, so not exactly surprised.