How did the refs miss the offsides on the Gophers' scoring play ?

On 9/3/2023 at 2:00 AM, I am I said:

Starting in the 3rd qtr I said politely, “their left tackle is kick starting backwards very early. 

by the 4th qtr I was yelling at the projection (we watched in my neighbors backyard on a screen) every time they passed the ball he was pushing back early, very early. Several false starts should have been called. He did it over and over again. They didn’t call it; so it is what it is, but it was egregious 

He was going extra early, but tackles picking up that outside foot a half second before the ball is snapped is normal and technically allowed as a loophole.

6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

He was going extra early, but tackles picking up that outside foot a half second before the ball is snapped is normal and technically allowed as a loophole.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Um ... no.

I don't know if it is legal or not, but watch a Packers or Eagles game.  Bahktiari or Johnson start like this about 25% of the time and it never gets called.  There are numerous tweets each week commenting on them when they have a national game.

Not sure why we're still arguing the NFL clips. It's legal within the current frame work of the rules. It does however seem to violate the spirit and intent of the rule. The NFL rule should probably be amended to include a section where the tackle can adjust themselves, but must be set for at least a count before the snap.

• Plus1 1

Just now, ZRod said:

Not sure why we're still arguing the NFL clips. It's legal within the current frame work of the rules. It does however seem to violate the spirit and intent of the rule. The NFL rule should probably be amended to include a section where the tackle can adjust themselves, but must be set for at least a count before the snap.

There's also a difference between starting your backward momentum and actually picking up your foot. Bakhtiari infamously keeps setting and re-setting his back foot all the way up to the snap, but he doesn't actually kick back very early. The clip above Taylor is leaning back before the snap, but he doesn't move his foot until it's snapped. The refs also did let Taylor get away with more and more (including a few worse than the one in our game) before finally calling it in the 4th quarter when he went comically early.

IMO both of these things are true: 1-  there was a missed false start call on Minnesota's touchdown. He was not leaning back or adjusting his foot, he started his full motion for the play. 2 - there were several bigger plays that we didn't make and/or Minnesota did that cost us way more than that call. 

I think a big part of the issue with officiating is that they are technically independent contractors with little to no accountability.  For most refereeing is their side hustle.

It's even worse in college basketball.  They are trying to work a fulltime gig and referee 5 or 6 games a week on top of that.  Game ends in Lincoln at 9 or 10 PM, shower, change and hop on a red eye to wherever their next game is.  They do a little remote work for their full-time gig and then get ready for the game they are doing that night.  They also work for multiple conferences.  It isn't uncommon for a college basketball ref to work for the B1G, MAC and possibly a third conference in the same general geographical area.

The solution is to for the conferences to hire referees as full-time employees and assign them games like the NFL/NBA does.  If they do a poor job, they get reprimanded and if they don't improve, they don't get rehired for the next season. There is no reason the conferences (especially the B1G and SEC) can't just hire full time officials.

In the case of basketball, they shouldn't be allowed to work more than 2-3 games/week.  Veteran NBA refs do around 70 games/year over the course of the regular season, but the regular season is almost 6 months long.  It works out to about 2.8 games/week.

I think there would be a marked improvement if there were actual consequences to poor officiating.

• Plus1 1