Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

Sims goofed up on the one snap he was given.  Nothing more needs to be seen.

Rhule would (still) be crazy to go with Sims.

Haarberg has earned the starting position fair and square.  I don't think we'll beat Michigan no matter who starts at QB.  With Haarberg there's at least a slight chance we won't get boatraced.  I think our defense actually matches up well against Michigan's offense.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Haarberg has earned the starting position fair and square.  I don't think we'll beat Michigan no matter who starts at QB.  With Haarberg there's at least a slight chance we won't get boatraced.  I think our defense actually matches up well against Michigan's offense.

How do you know he goofed up?  Its happened with HH as well.  But you don't know the call and if the RB is at fault.  

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I also think our defense matches up well against their O. But really that can be said for all of our remaining games.

Our offense, not even specifically the quarterback position, is our glaring problem. And none of our QBs are going to change the outcome vs Michigan. Given that the non-turnover machine HH probably gives us the best chance in games we can actually win, I say we start Sims against the Wolverines and let him take that abuse so that we still have an outside shot at getting bowl eligible by winning 4 other games. Boatrace or not the almost sure thing is that whichever QB starts is going to end up missing multiple games.

29 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Pretty sure Sims was in for one play and it wasn't a turnover.  Remember when HH threw to Kemp with double coverage and the DB with no hands or real skill failed to catch the ball?  Why does everyone overlook all the bad stuff for HH? 

Because every QB makes mistakes, they don't all result in turnovers or losses though.

• TBH 1

I do wonder how a healthy Sims performs against NIU and La Tech.

Seen a lot of post saying HH would have won against Minny.  I just don’t see it.

Im expecting a loaded box and a very low completion % next week.

2024s QB isn’t on the roster (I hope).  I’d go with HH against Michigan because it’ll be a bloodbath.  When sims is healthy I’d like to see him get some meaningful PT.

• TBH 1
25 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

No s#!t.  Especially when you throw to DBs who can't catch.  If HH makes those same mistakes against a power 5 team (ie MN and CU) they are INTs.  Then what do we do?  Start clamoring for Purdy to start?

So, one poor throw in two games that wasn't even a turnover is the same as six turnovers in two games?

Sims and HH have made a lot of similar mistakes. The outcomes have been drastically different, and that's truly what matters.

• Plus1 4

22 minutes ago, ZRod said:

So, one poor throw in two games that wasn't even a turnover is the same as six turnovers in two games?

Sims and HH have made a lot of similar mistakes. The outcomes have been drastically different, and that's truly what matters.

No.  He did the same thing last week.  He threw a ball right to a LB from NIL and the kid dropped it.  Two of his completions to Fidone probably get picked as well.  And a lot of his throws have been nowhere near anyone.  He missed Kemp being wide open and decided to try to get his backup Rb killed by dumping it off to him.  That probably could have been intercepted as well.  They both have made mistakes but one has benefited from not playing against the same skill level.  People are acting like HH is playing lights out and he's not.  I think both of them have some work to do 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Yeah it was literally the single dumbest thing I have ever seen from a qb in my life. Literally blows the whole butt fumble thing away for me. After everything that has gone on HH playing competently then you come in and that’s the first thing you do. He should be behind our 2nd string qb at This point and should only see the field at the end on games in blowouts

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

No.  He did the same thing last week.  He threw a ball right to a LB from NIL and the kid dropped it.  Two of his completions to Fidone probably get picked as well.  And a lot of his throws have been nowhere near anyone.  He missed Kemp being wide open and decided to try to get his backup Rb killed by dumping it off to him.  That probably could have been intercepted as well.  They both have made mistakes but one has benefited from not playing against the same skill level.  People are acting like HH is playing lights out and he's not.  I think both of them have some work to do 

No one is saying he's even close to lights out, but 1 turnover in 2 games is light years better than 6 in 2 games no matter the competition level. That's to say nothing about the kinds of turnovers he's had :facepalm:

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
25 minutes ago, ZRod said:

No one is saying he's even close to lights out, but 1 turnover in 2 games is light years better than 6 in 2 games no matter the competition level. That's to say nothing about the kinds of turnovers he's had :facepalm:

You are missing what I'm saying.  Is Sims somehow a better Qb if the DBs dropped those INTs??  No. But posters here are ignoring the fact that HH has made the same s#!tty throws but his were dropped.  Thrown right to them but dropped. If anything we should be saying Sims throws a more catchable ball no matter who it's to.  

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

You are missing what I'm saying.  Is Sims somehow a better Qb if the DBs dropped those INTs??  No. But posters here are ignoring the fact that HH has made the same s#!tty throws but his were dropped.  Thrown right to them but dropped. If anything we should be saying Sims throws a more catchable ball no matter who it's to.  

I'm picking up what you're putting down, but you seem to focus only on the INTs. If that's all it we'd probably have no discussion. Sims can't get the basics like taking a snap right and that's the real problem.

• TBH 1