Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

13 hours ago, Scofrosghost said:

“Satterfield said the onus is on the staff to help solve the issue. Referring to Sims' dropped shotgun snaps against Colorado, he said: ‘We have to work during the week with more crowd noise. I have to do a better job of making sure we're utilizing certain snap counts with the motions we use. I've got to be smart with the play type, especially with the motions we're using, especially down in the student section where it got really loud. All of that comes into play. ... It's all of us, it's not just Jeff."     

I don’t know about any of you, but that does not sound like accountability to me. Blaming the snap counts and noise and basically everything else but Sims.

If the ball hits him square in the hands that’s on the quarterback no one else. 
I guess it’s encouraging that he is thinking of ways to put Sims in a better position to be successful, but I don’t believe any of it makes a difference with this qb. 

You may be absolutely correct, but I will push back a little.  I have coached for many years, and my philosophy is that the HC (or in this case the OC) needs to take the blame in public and hold guys accountable in the locker room and practices.  I would cringe listening to SF throw his players under the bus in the press.  Good LEADERS  know when to take the blame (even if it isn't deserved) and when to deliver it.  I see this statement as great leadership skills rather than a negative.  He actually points to Sims in the final sentence, which is very clearly states that Sims plays a role .  Now, we don't know what is being said / done in meetings or practice, so for what it is worth, you may be right.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

It's not smart to focus too hard on the semantics coaches use in these pressers though. I can pretty much guarantee you Satterfield doesn't want to be in these interviews, and I personally don't want them spending any time preparing for these questions so people get the perfect answers they want - I want them spending their time on coaching the team.

He knows his QB should have caught a snap that is square in the numbers and hits him right in the hands. But I don't expect him to give anything other than coach speak to questions like that, who really cares?

• TBH 3
3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Wat?

I’m talking about holding Sims accountable. I agree with you. Sat is holding himself accountable. 
but you bench grant for one fumble (which was actually a great defensive play on the Minny defender) and then essentially say we are going to keep trotting Sims out there as long as he’s healthy. I understand they don’t have a lot of options but it’s not a good look

1 hour ago, HANC said:

You may be absolutely correct, but I will push back a little.  I have coached for many years, and my philosophy is that the HC (or in this case the OC) needs to take the blame in public and hold guys accountable in the locker room and practices.  I would cringe listening to SF throw his players under the bus in the press.  Good LEADERS  know when to take the blame (even if it isn't deserved) and when to deliver it.  I see this statement as great leadership skills rather than a negative.  He actually points to Sims in the final sentence, which is very clearly states that Sims plays a role .  Now, we don't know what is being said / done in meetings or practice, so for what it is worth, you may be right.

Yep. Good team mechanics in sport and in business is that your default is always to defend your guys publicly and keep accountability internal.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

You didn't really answer the question.  I don't count "I don't know".  However, you indicated that he was not being held accountable based upon one sentence from the OC about crowd noise.

We have no idea what's going through Sims head.  I certainly hope he's not satisfied with his performance.  We also have no idea what has been said to him by the staff.  Any leader is not going to get up in public and call out a subordinate.  That doesn't in work in real life or a football program.  

I personally like the way Rhule has handled it.  He has said multiple times something like "You can't do that and expect to win" or "We need to fix that".  We'd all like to know the "how?", but it's not realistic.  

I get that after two games you're starting to compare to previous seasons/coaches, but there are differences.  The last 3 QBs started 4 years (excluding Thompson).  I'd argue that all 3 stayed the same or even got worse over their career.  We are not there yet.  At this point, I'd be surprised if Sims is the guy next year, but who knows.  It's still way too early.

You have valid points. I’m just tired of hearing the same platitudes from coaches and not seeing any improvement. I know comparing the last regime to this one is like comparing apples to oranges, but it is disappointing to see the same old results, not in the losses but how we lose, this team needs to be exorcised. 

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

No, not when the ball hits the player square in the hands.  Twice!   It would be nice if the player took accountability for that one.   And no, don’t blame it on crowd noise.   It didn’t affect the timing on the two that hit Sims in the hands.   

Thank you! No one is responsible but the qb in this case

3 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

Thank you! No one is responsible but the qb in this case

You still don't publicly throw them under the bus, and Satterfield/Rhule did say (among other things) that he does need to catch it. I'd rather hear the coaches are thinking of ways they can make it even easier for the players, as opposed to the Frost-era "we just can't do that." Those weren't incorrect statements, but you never got the sense the coaches were actively thinking about ways they could make the situation even easier.

At then end of the day, yeah Sims needs to catch the snap and I am sure he's aware that it is 99.9% his fault. As far as I know Sims hasn't spoken to the media this week, but I guarantee he wouldn't be going on about the other circumstances - he would say he needs to catch the ball and that it's on him.

• TBH 3
1 hour ago, HANC said:

I understand it’s easy for me to sit here and be critical. Being a coach is a tough job. I don’t envy sat or Rhule at all. And I appreciate your insight/ perspective. I agree throwing him under the bus isn’t good either, but it just sounds like they are giving him a pass were others did not. 

I know I offer a lot of criticism and I appreciate everyone’s respectful responses. I get what you guys are saying, not a good look to throw one player under the bus. I wasn’t really suggesting that, just something other than it was environment and other factors that Sims can’t control, sounds like a cop out. 
I’ll probably get hammered for this too, but at this point I would love to see them trot woche out there. Who knows he could be a gamer that can just go out there and run the offense with out turning it over 4 times a game. Plus it would put the other qbs on notice. 

14 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

I understand it’s easy for me to sit here and be critical. Being a coach is a tough job. I don’t envy sat or Rhule at all. And I appreciate your insight/ perspective. I agree throwing him under the bus isn’t good either, but it just sounds like they are giving him a pass were others did not. 

15 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

You still don't publicly throw them under the bus, and Satterfield/Rhule did say (among other things) that he does need to catch it. I'd rather hear the coaches are thinking of ways they can make it even easier for the players, as opposed to the Frost-era "we just can't do that." Those weren't incorrect statements, but you never got the sense the coaches were actively thinking about ways they could make the situation even easier.

At then end of the day, yeah Sims needs to catch the snap and I am sure he's aware that it is 99.9% his fault. As far as I know Sims hasn't spoken to the media this week, but I guarantee he wouldn't be going on about the other circumstances - he would say he needs to catch the ball and that it's on him.

But it’s really not throwing Sims under the bus by saying, “yeah those two plays didn’t help, Jeff knows he can’t make those mistakes, he will get it corrected and we don’t see it being an issue going forward”.  And then move on from it with the press.  

You don’t blame crowd noise, and this and that and we are working on it etc…..

• TBH 1
14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

But it’s really not throwing Sims under the bus by saying, “yeah those two plays didn’t help, Jeff knows he can’t make those mistakes, he will get it corrected and we don’t see it being an issue going forward”.  And then move on from it with the press.  

Easier said than done when they ask about it every time. It's not like they're coming up and saying "we thought of some minor details that may have contributed" unprompted, it's an attempt (albeit somewhat clumsy when there's clearly a party that should bear most of the blame) to take accountability for the performance of their team. Which frankly has been lacking for a long time.

Everyone can interpret it as they will, but it's never sounded like blaming crowd noise or motions to me - just ways the coaches could try to make mistakes even less likely. I have not heard anyone deny that he should have caught those snaps regardless. At the end of the day, we're all pissed that the turnovers happened and no press conference response will appease everyone. I for one would be terrified if they came out and said Haarberg is starting because of the turnovers - I think the gap between 1 and 2 at QB is much larger than people realize. I do expect the QBs to play a lot better than we've seen on Saturday, regardless of who is in.

• TBH 2
13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What you're saying makes sense. It's just weird to me that it would change anything for anybody if their responses in these endless press conferences were different. It's coach speak. It's standard operating procedure.

We'll find out if the problem is fixed in two days when the next game is played. 

• TBH 4