Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

58 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

What are the chances of Jeff Sims having a really solid, and possibly great game against Northern Illinois?

I think the chances are good. We've all seen what he can do, and there are going to be games where he does it with minimal mistakes. This could well be one of those games.

But it won't change much in the long run. Just add another level of confusion to HuskerBoard for a week or two. 

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm expecting too. He will probably look great against NIU and Louisiana Tech, and then bad against Michigan (understandably). Then the question is, are the teams like Northwestern and Purdue on our schedule closer to NIU/La Tech, or Minnesota/Colorado? If you take out the mishandled snaps (which I understand you cannot do, but I expect them to be a non-issue moving forward) Sims played pretty well against a bad Colorado defense. I just don't know what the "bad defense" cutoff is and how many random turnovers will add to the chaos, so it will probably be a roller coaster each week. Illinois' defense is way worse than last years, but are they good enough to get a bad performance out of Sims? I guess we'll find out.

It's also possible he turns the ball over several more times in the non-conference games, and assuming Purdy is healthy for the next couple weeks I do think Rhule would consider a change after Michigan.

15 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It's also possible he turns the ball over several more times in the non-conference games, and assuming Purdy is healthy for the next couple weeks I do think Rhule would consider a change after Michigan.

Unfortunately for Sims, he's put himself in a lose/lose situation. If he performs well against La Tech and NIU, the narrative will largely focus around the fact that those are non-power 5 schools that he should do well against. And if he plays poorly, well, then that's just what everyone expected.

In the long run, it's definitely preferable he have good games so they can feel some measure of confidence in his performance from here out.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Like, if he really is the best option back there, it mortifies me what they think of Purdy and Haarberg.

Yes, but my question is how much worse are they? Because if the answer is "they're not that far behind him," then it doesn't really jive all that much with Rhule's diatribe of "doing things our way" and "it's a slow process to rebuild," etc.

The guy is supposedly known for developing players. If Purdy has great potential (and maybe he doesn't), maybe would make more sense to just take your lumps this year and get him ready for the next two.

• TBH 2
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Unfortunately for Sims, he's put himself in a lose/lose situation. If he performs well against La Tech and NIU, the narrative will largely focus around the fact that those are non-power 5 schools that he should do well against. And if he plays poorly, well, then that's just what everyone expected.

In the long run, it's definitely preferable he have good games so they can feel some measure of confidence in his performance from here out.

Well, like you said in your last sentence.  Best case scenario, now....he comes out and has two good games.  Unfortunately, he had two really crappy games against decent, but not great teams. (as far as we know right now).

Then, he can try to keep it going in conference play.

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yes, but my question is how much worse are they? Because if the answer is "they're not that far behind him," then it doesn't really jive all that much with Rhule's diatribe of "doing things our way" and "it's a slow process to rebuild," etc.

The guy is supposedly known for developing players. If Purdy has great potential (and maybe he doesn't), maybe would make more sense to just take your lumps this year and get him ready for the next two.

I agree here, prep for next year and at least see what you have in Purday and/or Haarberg over an extended period.  But that assumes Rhule can 1. accept he made a poor decision bringing in Sims and 2. accept that we are really not further along than Temple/Baylor in year 1 as he previously stated?  Basically can he show growth as a coach, or does he dig his heels in and role with Sims and Satterfield through this season.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think we're banking on Daniel Kaelin or another QB transfer next year, so the coaches are going to do whatever helps gives the best chance at games this year, which doesn't seem promising.

54 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I think we're banking on Daniel Kaelin or another QB transfer next year, so the coaches are going to do whatever helps gives the best chance at games this year, which doesn't seem promising.

I like Kaelin, but he has been having a pretty meh season so far. Don’t know if he is going to be the jumpstart to this offense I thought he was going to be. 

29 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I don't think Danny Dimes is a day one starter so they better start putting some feelers out for potential transfers 

8 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

I like Kaelin, but he has been having a pretty meh season so far. Don’t know if he is going to be the jumpstart to this offense I thought he was going to be. 

Just needs a Nike jersey duh

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

I just watched a high school game where both teams executed fairly sophisticated pass plays and misdirection running plays. 

I do think it's easier to run a fairly complicated offense in high school because the defenses there are not even close to college-level complexity. And as the offense you get to dictate things more than the defense does. That being said I definitely agree our issues have been incredibly basic on offense.

• Plus1 1