Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

3 hours ago, Scofrosghost said:

Was watching Doc break down some of these plays with the Oline. And while they are still making fundamental mistakes (like having their arms outstretched in Pass Pro, like WTF  are you doing Raiola?? Fix this s#!t!! It’s pathetic they look like toddlers out there) there are receivers,  specifically TE, wide open on drag routes MULTIPLE times that he doesn’t even see. It’s concerning to say the least. 

Is this on YouTube? I might have to check it out. Rewatching some of the highlights, pass pro is better than last year but there are definitely some head scratchers. One play it looked like the right guard started to run block, realized his mistake and stopped his feet, which caused him to get beat. That's one of those if you make a mistake make it full speed kind of plays.

16 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

I’m just… I can’t… I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the fact I watched a HS football game the other night and not once did either quarter back muff the snap. 
We went from a qb that muffed snaps under center in 2AM to a qb that muffs snaps in shotgun…I just can’t anymore with this team. 

Well, Adrian was also fielding pop fly snaps his first 2 years. Glad that guys gone /s :lol:

I don't really buy the idea that the problem with Satterfield's offense is that it's too complicated, just don't really see it. That kind of stuff shows up when receivers are running the wrong routes, you're getting delay of game penalties because the team doesn't know how to line up, etc. Now maybe those things occurred for the Gamecocks, not sure.

The ShortSideOption guy said coming into the Colorado game that we needed to limit Sims' reads. Ok, if you limit it much more than we did against the Buffaloes then we're probably shooting ourselves in the foot. Maybe he was including plays that are run-only zone read plays. But we ran the ball on 65% of our plays against CU.

That's in the neighborhood of the service academies. You start running it much more than that and your opponent probably doesn't even have to worry much about the play action bomb.

I think QB's like Sims are utilized better in spread offenses by and large. The field opens up so much more for scrambles and the outside zone read/option plays, and it also opens up in the passing game. 

• Plus1 4
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think QB's like Sims are utilized better in spread offenses by and large. The field opens up so much more for scrambles and the outside zone read/option plays, and it also opens up in the passing game. 

I definitely agree with this, he's at best a questionable fit for what Satterfield wants to do. I do think Sims largely threw the ball well against Colorado, just the one bad decision which was really, really, bad. The offensive issues were almost entirely the turnovers, and a few plays getting blown up by blitzes.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I definitely agree with this, he's at best a questionable fit for what Satterfield wants to do. I do think Sims largely threw the ball well against Colorado, just the one bad decision which was really, really, bad. The offensive issues were almost entirely the turnovers, and a few plays getting blown up by blitzes.

Yeah. Our first drive looked great...and then he drops a snap that hits him square on and right in the hands. Meaning, he and the team were doing so well on that drive up to that point.

He connected in the air on that drive, too.

30 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Is this on YouTube? I might have to check it out. Rewatching some of the highlights, pass pro is better than last year but there are definitely some head scratchers. One play it looked like the right guard started to run block, realized his mistake and stopped his feet, which caused him to get beat. That's one of those if you make a mistake make it full speed kind of plays.

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/docs-diagnosis-a-tough-lesson-in-pass-blocking-technique-nebraska-football-vs-colorado

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
44 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

That being said I definitely agree our issues have been incredibly basic on offense.

Agreed. This harkens back to my comment in this thread (or another) where I questioned the veracity of those who think Satt's playbook is too big or too complicated.

It's certainly possible they're over-complicating things offensive, but it's tough to know when a QB is staring down receivers, making inaccurate throws, and not even getting the snap correctly from the center... along with some other procedural errors. Doesn't really matter what kind playbook or offense they run in those scenarios.

• TBH 1
51 minutes ago, ZRod said:

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/docs-diagnosis-a-tough-lesson-in-pass-blocking-technique-nebraska-football-vs-colorado

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, like you said in your last sentence.  Best case scenario, now....he comes out and has two good games.  Unfortunately, he had two really crappy games against decent, but not great teams. (as far as we know right now).

Then, he can try to keep it going in conference play.

That's the worst case scenario.  Then he gets exposed against Michigan in a huge way.

Sims is not the guy.  He's really bad.

He needs to be benched due to play and cultural accountability consistency.

• TBH 1
7 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

That's the worst case scenario.  Then he gets exposed against Michigan in a huge way.

Sims is not the guy.  He's really bad.

He needs to be benched due to play and cultural accountability consistency.

Ok…yes, best case scenario is he doesn’t play this week and someone else steps up and takes jus spot. 

I was talking about his best case scenario if he plays. 

You’re wrong in that the worst case scenario is if whomever plays, we lose these games. 

2 hours ago, commando said:

I disagree with that assessment. The hands wide to the side isn't good, but he got beat because he opened his shoulder to the outside and the defender hadn't closed the gap yet. That put him in a really bad spot, he's basically a swinging door that the defender can fly through. Now all he can do is try to drive block to the sideline or punch the defender in the ribs (always a good technique to slow them down), but he's still stepping back so he has zero leverage to do either. Benhart's technique is fine, he also opens up too early, but he can steer his guys around the pocket somewhat.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Agreed. This harkens back to my comment in this thread (or another) where I questioned the veracity of those who think Satt's playbook is too big or too complicated.

It's certainly possible they're over-complicating things offensive, but it's tough to know when a QB is staring down receivers, making inaccurate throws, and not even getting the snap correctly from the center... along with some other procedural errors. Doesn't really matter what kind playbook or offense they run in those scenarios.

There are very very very few offenses in college football that are too complicated.    The error is almost always on the player not being able to comprehend any offense very well that every other player does just fine with, so it takes too long for QB to process the play as it’s happening during the game which leads to mistakes.   Basically the game moves too fast for a player like Sims.  

The interception to Fidone was a prime example.   It didn’t happen in the context of the actual play design if I remember correctly but in the time after the play broke down and Sims recognized Fidone being open too late.   AM had some of the same in-play processing issues (not as bad as Sims).  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
57 minutes ago, ZRod said:

See above comment. Rob should know the shoulders are the real issue. He's dogging Piper for one thing and then criticizing Benhart for doing the opposite.

To be honest, went back and watched it again and I see what you mean about the shoulders,  but having zombie arms doesn’t help. Also, how bad is Corcoran in that same play? 

2 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

To be honest, went back and watched it again and I see what you mean about the shoulders,  but having zombie arms doesn’t help. Also, how bad is Corcoran in that same play? 

Zombie arms are more of a symptom than the problem. He's out of position so he's reaching.

Corcran didn't do too bad actually. You'd like to see a little better effort and faster reaction, but it's a nicely disguised blitz and a decent pickup outside of Piper's bad technique. #69's and #57's assignments change immediately after the snap and they recognized it. #69's becomes extremely difficult as he has to hand off the DE and then cover a ton a ground to steer the LB away from the pocket. He needs to haul a$$ out there, but he hangs inside a little too long. Maybe because he's not comfortable with #57's pickup... had #57 picked his guy up Sims should have been able to step up into the pocket, and maybe take off for a big gain.

• Haha 2