Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Uh oh, that’s it.   Close up the message boards folks!   We can’t digest and analyze anymore.  

I mean, what do you think this place is here for?!?!

I mean there are a lot of other things we can talk about that isn’t a breakdown of what the coaches say at their press conference.

But you do you.  I just don’t find a lot of value into parsing every word said at a coach press conference.

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1
13 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Man, you might want to get your memory checked, just saying. That or you're trying way to hard and making crap up trying to defend your position. Either way :facepalm:

You could argue Casey made Palmer look good.

"He (Palmer) was limited to one catch against No. 17 Illinois - which entered the game with the nation's No. 1 pass defense - as Nebraska struggled after starting quarterback Casey Thompson was knocked out of the game in the first half. Thompson also missed the Minnesota game, when Palmer caught five passes for 37 yards. With Thompson still out, Palmer caught five passes at No. 3 Michigan but was limited to 12 yards. Thompson returned against Wisconsin, when Palmer caught four passes for 47 yards, including a pair of touchdowns." https://huskers.com/sports/football/roster/season/2022/player/trey-palmer

And surely Casey's low rushing numbers had nothing to do with the fact he was sacked 24 times behind the worst offensive line in modern Nebraska History. Fun fact, he only had 56 total carries on the year. That means sacks accounted for 43 percent of his carries. But yeah, rushing is the way to judge his QB talent. :facepalm::facepalm:.  

https://huskers.com/sports/football/roster/season/2022/player/casey-thompson 

Casey Thompson battled through injuries to start 10 of 12 games at quarterback in his first season at Nebraska in 2022, missing the Minnesota and Michigan games due to injury. He completed 63 percent of his passes (173-of-274) for 2,407 yards and 17 touchdowns, while adding five rushing touchdowns. Thompson had three 300-yard passing games this season, becoming only the fifth quarterback in Husker history with three 300-yard passing games in a season. He has also threw at least one touchdown pass in each of his 10 games.

Thompson's 2,407 passing yards ranked seventh in school history while his 17 touchdown passes tied for 10th on Nebraska's season chart. Thompson ranked 12th nationally in passing yards per completion (13.9) in 2022, 14th in passing yards per attempt (8.8) and 29th in passing efficiency (150.1).

Thompson completed 25-of-42 passes for 355 yards and one touchdown in his debut against Northwestern. His 355 passing yards led the nation in Week 0 and were the most passing yards by a Husker in his debut and the most passing yards in a season opener in school history. Against North Dakota, Thompson threw for 193 yards and two touchdowns. He accounted for four total touchdowns against Georgia Southern, throwing for 318 yards and one score while setting a career high with three rushing touchdowns. He passed for 129 yards and one touchdown against No. 6 Oklahoma. Thompson completed 18-of-27 passes for 270 yards and two touchdowns against Indiana, while adding a one-yard rushing touchdown.

Thompson led Nebraska's comeback win at Rutgers. He completed 24-of-36 passes for 232 yards with two second-half touchdown passes as the Huskers overcame a 13-point halftime deficit. The next week at Rutgers, Thompson threw for 354 yards and two touchdowns, averaging a whopping 22.1 yards per completion. Thompson threw for 172 yards and one touchdown in less than a half while facing the nation's No. 1 pass defense against No. 17 Illinois, but an injury kept him out for the final series of the first half and the entire second half. The injury also kept him out of the Minnesota and Michigan games. He returned to start against Wisconsin and was Nebraska's leading rusher and passer, throwing for 120 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for 33 yards. In the season finale at Iowa, Thompson led Nebraska to a win by completing 20-of-30 passes for 278 yards and three touchdowns.

Casey w/o Trey was basically a clone of the 2023 Husker QB passing the ball.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
12 minutes ago, Undone said:

@Red Five I wonder what the team fumble stats look like between last year & this year. Of course we have two more games left in this season.

Team Rankings has the best fumble data I can find.

2023 we are averaging 2.7 fumbles/game.  Last year we averaged 1.1 fumbles/game.

2023 we are averaging 1.3 fumbles lost/game.  Last year we averaged 0.5 fumbles lost/game.

Both 2023 numbers lead the NCAA.

If you want QB specific fumbles you probably have to go through game by game.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

Is that just subtracting Trey out of every game he was targeted in? Because that's a stupid stat.

It says it is Casey's stats taking out Trey's catches.  Where Trey was targeted but didn't actually catch the ball would still be in there (which I think you should take out of attempts to do it correctly).

17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

2023 we are averaging 2.7 fumbles/game.  Last year we averaged 1.1 fumbles/game.

2023 we are averaging 1.3 fumbles lost/game.  Last year we averaged 0.5 fumbles lost/game.

Good stuff!

Sometimes total season interceptions & total season fumbles lost isn't as meaningful as it at first seems as far as how it directly impacts the W/L columns. Example: You're Nebraska and you're playing a Top 10 team where the realistic odds of winning are probably less than 10% and we have a ton of turnovers in that one game. Doesn't really matter that much; you weren't winning that one anyway, and then the turnovers from that one game skew the numbers greatly.

The completion percentage comparisons between this year's QB efforts and Thompson last year when taking Palmer's targets out are the most interesting stat.

But that said, fumbles and just total number of dumb mistakes this year has been insane and has definitely contributed to the W/L column in huge, huge ways.

Last year we would have made a bowl game if probably just about anybody not named Erik Chinander was coaching the defense starting in March of 2022 up through the Georgia Southern game.

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It says it is Casey's stats taking out Trey's catches.  Where Trey was targeted but didn't actually catch the ball would still be in there (which I think you should take out of attempts to do it correctly).

Still useless in my opinion. It's like trying to do a review of a burger joint but removing the patties from the burger they serve you.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

Just off the top of my head I can think of at least 7 passes that should have been caught that weren’t even in traffic or “difficult”

amd 3 of those, off the top of my head would’ve kept drives alive in crucial moments. 

our offense, besides the rushing game at times….so I guess our passing offense has been bad on multiple levels this season 

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Both 2023 numbers lead the NCAA.

Wouldn't it be so cool if next year, with new QBs, we totally flip these turnover stats and become one of the best in turnover margin?  And...they do a 30 for 30 on the 2024 Huskers because the turnaround is so amazing.

Yeah....I've been having this dream for years.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Casey w/o Trey was basically a clone of the 2023 Husker QB passing the ball.

In summary - we've been pathetic at the position for some time.  When we think of AM, he was QB for 4 years - thus no development of # 2-3 QBs behind him.  He also had issues with turnovers   - not saying AM was pathetic - he set several records here but he had those untimely turnovers also.   Who was the last QB that Nebraska had whereby a forward pass wasn't a regular 'hold your breath & wait and see what happens' event?  The same holds true with fumbles. 

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Good stuff!

Sometimes total season interceptions & total season fumbles lost isn't as meaningful as it at first seems as far as how it directly impacts the W/L columns. Example: You're Nebraska and you're playing a Top 10 team where the realistic odds of winning are probably less than 10% and we have a ton of turnovers in that one game. Doesn't really matter that much; you weren't winning that one anyway, and then the turnovers from that one game skew the numbers greatly.

The completion percentage comparisons between this year's QB efforts and Thompson last year when taking Palmer's targets out are the most interesting stat.

But that said, fumbles and just total number of dumb mistakes this year has been insane and has definitely contributed to the W/L column in huge, huge ways.

Last year we would have made a bowl game if probably just about anybody not named Erik Chinander was coaching the defense starting in March of 2022 up through the Georgia Southern game.

This year we'd probably be sitting at 8-2 right now with a mediocre QB.  Worst qb room in CFB P5 History