Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

19 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Our tackles are horrible.

I'd disagree with this statement. At the beginning of the season, yes they were, but they improved tremendously as the season went along. The Iowa game they did ok in pass pro. I'd probably give them a B or -B grade for the game.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I'd disagree with this statement. At the beginning of the season, yes they were, but they improved tremendously as the season went along. The Iowa game they did ok in pass pro. I'd probably give them a B or -B grade for the game.

I know I sound like a broken record on this.  But, get a QB that is average or above in the passing game and doesn't turn the ball over and the defense would need to commit more to covering receivers....that helps the O line.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Line improved, but tackles were slow & getting beat all year on pass blocking 

Again, I'd disagree. At the beginning of the season, yes. The second half of the season not so much. A lot of what you might think of as the tackles getting beat is our QBs trying to scramble out of the pocket instead of stepping up as @BigRedBuster alluded to with QB in the passing game.

I just rewatch the Purdy plays again from the other page, and for the Iowa game I think the tackles got "beat" once, and even then it wasn't bad. Benhardt had a really difficult assignment when Iowa was showing 7 and brought 6. He had to take a guy in a wide 9 stance and just kind of got in his way a bit. It was ugly, but Purdy scrambled out to that side and completed a pass for a first down. I'd probably up my grade to a solid B on the rewatch.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
17 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Again, I'd disagree. At the beginning of the season, yes. The second half of the season not so much. A lot of what you might think of as the tackles getting beat is our QBs trying to scramble out of the pocket instead of stepping up as @BigRedBuster alluded to with QB in the passing game.

I just rewatch the Purdy plays again from the other page, and for the Iowa game I think the tackles got "beat" once, and even then it wasn't bad. Benhardt had a really difficult assignment when Iowa was showing 7 and brought 6. He had to take a guy in a wide 9 stance and just kind of got in his way a bit. It was ugly, but Purdy scrambled out to that side and completed a pass for a first down. I'd probably up my grade to a solid B on the rewatch.

Rewatching those videos, it sure seems like to me that he starts to scramble before the pocket actually starts to collapse.  Then, he thinks he needs to scramble around the outside where the tackles then lose their block.  There were a number of plays where, if he would have stepped up in the pocket, it would have helped the tackles...and, there were open running lanes inside.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2

I think the tackles started doing a better job specifically at working guys to the outside instead of letting them get inside leverage in the back half of the season.

We had times Haarberg would get a little flushed out of the pocket but was totally fine on the roll out. And he'd have a guy open...and we saw some Jammal Lord-esque moments at times where the ball just didn't go even remotely where it was supposed to go.

But like, sure - if the pass protection is a thing where your QB can stand there perfectly still for 6 seconds, things are better. In the back half of the season pass protection didn't seem to be a huge issue.

• TBH 2
25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Rewatching those videos, it sure seems like to me that he starts to scramble before the pocket actually starts to collapse.  Then, he thinks he needs to scramble around the outside where the tackles then lose their block.  There were a number of plays where, if he would have stepped up in the pocket, it would have helped the tackles...and, there were open running lanes inside.

You nailed it. The only thing I'll say is we don't have the all 22. I have a feeling no one is open most of the time, and Purdy isn't confident enough to throw guys open, so he's panicking and trying to buy more time.

11 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I have a feeling no one is open most of the time, and Purdy isn't confident enough to throw guys open, so he's panicking and trying to buy more time.

Which honestly to me looked like it was actually elevating his play above Haarberg's instead of hurting things. Just talking about him doing this in general against Wisconsin & Iowa.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Purdy's pocket awareness was terrible vs Iowa. Maybe he just doesn't have "it".  Or maybe it was a function of not playing much.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Purdy's pocket awareness was terrible vs Iowa. Maybe he just doesn't have "it".  Or maybe it was a function of not playing much.

I wonder about this too.  I remember a play where he step right into the rush.

Then I watch that true freshman at Virginia.  I don’t remember his name.  But it’s like he’s been doing it for years.

Im fine with Purdy, but we HAVE to bring in someone else for the QB room.

• TBH 1