What did we learn? La Tech version

Red Five

Strange game….Took us a long time getting going. That’s not going to bode well against quality competition. Especially anyone that’s good at stopping the run. Only listened to it. Seemed like we did quite a few different things while not having a whole lot to show for it. Defense must’ve had a hangover from last week. Ended with a thud after that rain delay. Just not very inspiring. Successful fake punt was nice. Their long return that was averted due to penalty wasn’t.

9 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

(2) We are not very good against the pass. An average team like LT was able to move the ball with ease. That is really scary

I agree with many of your points overall, but wanted to share one potential silver lining here.

Nebraska's pass defense performance needs to improve, without a doubt. But, usually when defenses make a commitment to stopping the run schematically and philosophically (as we have) it opens up opportunities in the passing game, to which LAT ended up throwing 42 times because they couldn't do anything useful on the ground. I don't think Nebraska has the dogs yet to really stop the run and defend the pass well so they're playing a bit to their strengths at the moment, and it has so far proven to work mostly in their favor.

So, yes it isn't great, but I think that's part of the strategy at the moment. And really it'll be up to Rhule's recruitment and development program to make them elite at both.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

53 minutes ago, cornheadnation said:

We won 2 games, against 2 lower level teams, and neither game was really ever in doubt. That’s a something we haven’t seen for 6 years. 

I mean it was 7-7 at half yesterday (and 14-7 entering the 4Q).  And at times (at least to me) had that feeling of "here we go again".

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Agree.  But I don't think it is fair to say that "the game was never in doubt".

I agree.

Ever since about 2015, I exist in a general state of disbelief that Nebraska will win, unless they're up several scores with a relatively short amount of time left. :D

TBH I didn't even feel great yesterday after the rain delay. They gave up a quick score, up by 14 with 5-6 minutes left? My mind went through all the worst case scenarios. Even the week prior I didn't really take a breath until it was 28-3.

36 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I wonder when (or if) we going to see Teddy get a start or significant playing time at LT.  Pretty sure I saw him in as a 6th OL/extra TE on 10ish plays, so he must be good to go.

i think he was the lead blocker on anthony grants TD.  i remember seeing them celebrating in the endzone

36 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I mean it was 7-7 at half yesterday (and 14-7 entering the 4Q).  And at times (at least to me) had that feeling of "here we go again".

That’s fair to say. Maybe it’s the numbness to all the bad starting to set in. That being said even when the score was close I felt like we were more in control of the game. I guess for whatever reason. Maybe it was the alcohol easing the nerves. But I never felt like we were going to lose yesterday. The rain delay maybe gave me a little flashback though haha. 

Team looked off yesterday. Mixture of losing top-2 RBs, not having Lenhardt, and no threat at Wide Out made this team look, at best, no progress from last week.

Depth on this team is 3-4 years away, as long as Rhule and Co. retain the right players and develop. Makes sense why we are looking at 25+ in this recruiting class. A good % of players will be replaced by next Spring and Summer.

I am encouraged for the future, but not for the season. Injury bug has nipped us and key transfers didn’t pan out. I’ll be satisfied with 6 wins, but 5 might be all we get to.