What did we learn? La Tech version

Red Five

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Doesn’t it also seem like the DB’s are more explosive coming out of their breaks or when attacking the WR screens.  I think that’s a product of better coaching/drilling and a focus on explosive trading workouts vs pure strength and bulk workouts. 

I'm far from an expert.  But, I've thought that was probably scheme.

25 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Against average teams.  Some balance would help.  

We have well below average talent as what we should expect. Our line is nowhere close to where it needs to be. We are down to our 3 string running back. We have a walk on back up qb and no deep threat right now with wr. We still need to clean up some penalties and yet old school football and the option is working

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ndobney said:

We have well below average talent as what we should expect. Our line is nowhere close to where it needs to be. We are down to our 3 string running back. We have a walk on back up qb and no deep threat right now with wr. We still need to clean up some penalties and yet old school football and the option is working

Haarberg is a scholarship QB, as are Purdy and Sims

• TBH 1

The offense is what it is at this point after two starting WR's leaving the program, two RB's getting hurt, the o-line being what it is and the starting QB having turnover problems. That's a lot of adversity to try and overcome in the first year of a new regime.

I think the strategy right now is triage what you can and put emphasis on the skills/fundamentals that will translate to future success offensively. I don't think they have many solutions available at the moment for their current predicament.

• TBH 2
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The offense is what it is at this point after two starting WR's leaving the program, two RB's getting hurt, the o-line being what it is and the starting QB having turnover problems. That's a lot of adversity to try and overcome in the first year of a new regime.

I think the strategy right now is triage what you can and put emphasis on the skills/fundamentals that will translate to future success offensively. I don't think they have many solutions available at the moment for their current predicament.

The only solution I see is creativity in play calling and design.  At times it will be maddening and leave us scratching our heads.  But...the coaches can only do so much with what they have. A lot of the time it's going to be pretty dang conservative.  Other times they might try to take a risk. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
10 hours ago, ndobney said:

Old school football still works and so does the option

Big part of it is just how prepared your team is for game speed from practice time, and whether everybody knows where their blocking assignment is when they line up. Yeah, it still works.

Can it get us at least 3 wins out of the stretch of Illinois/Northwestern/Purdue/Michigan State? That's the question for me.