What players leave? 2023/24 version

In order to make room for the recruiting class alone, Nebraska will have to get rid of 16 current players. Source.

-9  Scholarship Seniors

-26 HS Recruits

-Arik Gilbert is listed but not in the roster

This number will likely grow with a few more recruiting additions as well as additions through the transfer portal.

Candidates are:

-Jeff Sims

-Rahmir Johnson

-Garret Snoddgrass

-Koby Bretz

-Timmy Beekrode

-Kaine Williams

-Randolph Kpai

-AJ Rollins

-John bullock

-Jimari Butler

Chances are they may have to move on from many of the starting OL, however unless they can upgrade from the portal it's unlikely. I can see an additional QB leaving the team depending on how aggressive they are with portal additions.

Who else is likely? 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

In order to make room for the recruiting class alone, Nebraska will have to get rid of 16 current players. Source.

-9  Scholarship Seniors

-26 HS Recruits

This number will likely grow with a few more recruiting additions as well as additions through the transfer portal.

Candidates are:

-Jeff Sims

-Rahmir Johnson

-Garret Snoddgrass

-Koby Bretz

-Timmy Beekrode

-Kaine Williams

-Randolph Kpai

-AJ Rollins

-John bullock

-Jimari Butler

Chances are they may have to move on from many of the starting OL, however unless they can upgrade from the portal it's unlikely. I can see an additional QB leaving the team depending on how aggressive they are with portal additions.

Who else is likely? 

Good list!

I think NU will be bringing in 2-3 QB's (One HS for sure).  I am guessing this will be a senior and a sophomore. 

2-3 older WR's

3-4 OL

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

-9  Scholarship Seniors

-26 HS Recruits

Candidates are:

-Jeff Sims

-Rahmir Johnson

-Garret Snoddgrass

-Koby Bretz

-Timmy Beekrode

-Kaine Williams

-Randolph Kpai

-AJ Rollins

-John bullock

-Jimari Butler

Who else is likely? 

Bretz, butler, & bullock don’t make a lot of sense to me

• Plus1 8
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, Decked said:

Bretz, butler, & bullock don’t make a lot of sense to me

Just from what I know (inside info here) Bullock does not want to play another year.  Now, that might have changed as he has become a starter but as of the end of the year last year, his plan was to play this year and graduate. 

• Plus1 2

Here is the list of scholarship juniors would be seniors this year w/o the Covid year.  (Because Nebraska has to Nebraska, they list these guys as juniors to cause confusion when 90% of the other programs in the county list them as seniors.)

I would guess 5 is the max we see come back because a) not many kids want to be in college for 6 years and 2) Rhule can tell them they don't have a scholarship anymore.

Jeff Sims

Rahmir Johnson

Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda

Bryce Benhart

Turner Corcoran

Ethan Piper

Ben Scott

Nash Hutmacher

Ty Robinson

Nick Henrich

Garrett Snodgrass

MJ Sherman

John Bullock

Javin Wright

Tommi Hill

Marques Buford

DeShon Singleton

Isaac Gifford

Phalen Sanford

Timmy Bleekrode

Brian Buschini

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Jeff Sims

Rahmir Johnson

Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda

Bryce Benhart

Turner Corcoran

Ethan Piper

Ben Scott

Nash Hutmacher

Ty Robinson

Nick Henrich

Garrett Snodgrass

MJ Sherman

John Bullock

Javin Wright

Tommi Hill

Marques Buford

DeShon Singleton

Isaac Gifford

Phalen Sanford

Timmy Bleekrode

Brian Buschini

I"m going to shock some.  But, the one on here that I think I would really like to see come back is Benhart.  From what I can tell, he's made a pretty good jump this year and yet another year of actually good coaching, might really do him some good.

That said, I don't see a lot on this list that would make me upset if they were done.  That, obviously depends on what we can get to replace them.....or, if there are young players at some of these positions that will be ready to step up.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Here is the list of scholarship juniors would be seniors this year w/o the Covid year.  (Because Nebraska has to Nebraska, they list these guys as juniors to cause confusion when 90% of the other programs in the county list them as seniors.)

I would guess 5 is the max we see come back because a) not many kids want to be in college for 6 years and 2) Rhule can tell them they don't have a scholarship anymore.

Jeff Sims

Rahmir Johnson

Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda

Bryce Benhart

Turner Corcoran

Ethan Piper

Ben Scott

Nash Hutmacher

Ty Robinson

Nick Henrich

Garrett Snodgrass

MJ Sherman

John Bullock

Javin Wright

Tommi Hill

Marques Buford

DeShon Singleton

Isaac Gifford

Phalen Sanford

Timmy Bleekrode

Brian Buschini

I for some reason remember Rhule mentioning he is counting all the covid guys as seniors.  As in he plans to replace them after this year.  

4 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I for some reason remember Rhule mentioning he is counting all the covid guys as seniors.  As in he plans to replace them after this year.  

No doctorate degrees for those guys!!!

Personally, I will be glad when the extra COVID year of eligibility is available. It’s too hard to track, and people get too worked up about a guy “leaving early” when he’s already played 4-5 years and he’s 23 years old. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
39 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This might be a dumb question, but are we expecting Rhule (and other CFB coaches) to yank scholarships from the COVID year players based on things they've said, or is it more that people are hoping/speculating this happens because some of the players haven't met expectations and the program needs more scholarship room?

At the moment, it sounds like there needs to be some fat trimming done anyways to make room for the next recruiting class, but I guess I'm just not very familiar with how a coach might handle scholarship bloating under normal circumstances vs. the situation with all these COVID year players.

18 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

In the training camp youtube series he was explaining why everyone has to practice hard and be ready.  He had the 1 Offense line up, and told everyone who are seniors to walk off the field to show how many spots are open for next year.  When he did that, he said something to the effect of "Seniors, I don't care about the Covid year, step off the field".  And Sims, Benhart, Corcoran, Piper, etc all stepped off the field.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

This might be a dumb question, but are we expecting Rhule (and other CFB coaches) to yank scholarships from the COVID year players based on things they've said, or is it more that people are hoping/speculating this happens because some of the players haven't met expectations and the program needs more scholarship room?

At the moment, it sounds like there needs to be some fat trimming done anyways to make room for the next recruiting class, but I guess I'm just not very familiar with how a coach might handle this under normal circumstances vs. all these COVID year players.

The bolded is 95% of what a message board is for, so yes. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1