What players leave? 2023/24 version

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This might be a dumb question, but are we expecting Rhule (and other CFB coaches) to yank scholarships from the COVID year players based on things they've said, or is it more that people are hoping/speculating this happens because some of the players haven't met expectations and the program needs more scholarship room?

At the moment, it sounds like there needs to be some fat trimming done anyways to make room for the next recruiting class, but I guess I'm just not very familiar with how a coach might handle this under normal circumstances vs. all these COVID year players.

A) See the post right before yours

B) B1G scholarships are only guaranteed 4 years (I think).  So coaches are under no obligation to keep a guy around for a 5th or 6th year.

C) Looking at our rosters the past couple years, I don't think we have had more than 7 or 8 6th year guys in any year.  And that includes brining in a couple 6th year guys, so we keep even less than that.

51 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Bretz basically played over half the snaps vs Michigan.

Was this because of the blowout? I didn't see Brets much earlier in the season, but perhaps he's improving.

Even still, the attrition Nebraska will go through this offseason will impact current players on the two-deep.

Assuming most of the current Freshman class is untouched, there simply aren't many options.

50 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Here is the list of scholarship juniors would be seniors this year w/o the Covid year.  (Because Nebraska has to Nebraska, they list these guys as juniors to cause confusion when 90% of the other programs in the county list them as seniors.)

I would guess 5 is the max we see come back because a) not many kids want to be in college for 6 years and 2) Rhule can tell them they don't have a scholarship anymore.

Jeff Sims

Rahmir Johnson

Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda

Bryce Benhart

Turner Corcoran

Ethan Piper

Ben Scott

Nash Hutmacher

Ty Robinson

Nick Henrich

Garrett Snodgrass

MJ Sherman

John Bullock

Javin Wright

Tommi Hill

Marques Buford

DeShon Singleton

Isaac Gifford

Phalen Sanford

Timmy Bleekrode

Brian Buschini

I can't wait until "covid year" is no longer a thing.  In general, nothing to do with current Huskers.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Man, all of the crazy posts and articles from local media about Garrett Nelson “leaving early” even though he played 4 full years as OLB for NU was terrible. 

Something you seem to always concocked up is taking people wishing a player would stick around for another year to....claiming we don't understand why they would want to move on.  Anytime someone claims they wish a kid wasn't leaving...you pop in trying to educate everyone on why they would want to leave.....which everyone pretty much already knows.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Something you seem to always concocked up is taking people wishing a player would stick around for another year to....claiming we don't understand why they would want to move on.  Anytime someone claims they wish a kid wasn't leaving...you pop in trying to educate everyone on why they would want to leave.....which everyone pretty much already knows.

Come again? :lol:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Was this because of the blowout? I didn't see Brets much earlier in the season, but perhaps he's improving.

Even still, the attrition Nebraska will go through this offseason will impact current players on the two-deep.

Assuming most of the current Freshman class is untouched, there simply aren't many options.

I don't know, I am not a coach.  If I had to guess he got more snaps because of the Singleton injury and they were mixing the secondary players differently.  But he has played limited amounts in the other games as well, including on special teams.

Why do you think we need to push Bretz out the door?  He is a sophomore who is 2nd string on the depth chart (behind a senior, so a projected starter next year).  Is it because he was a lowly 3* recruit from Nebraska?

• TBH 1
14 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I don't know, I am not a coach.  If I had to guess he got more snaps because of the Singleton injury and they were mixing the secondary players differently.  But he has played limited amounts in the other games as well, including on special teams.

Yeah, he got a lot of snaps replacing Singleton. Rhule also mentioned Newsome played some Safety while Hill played corner, but to be honest I didn't notice. But yeah, he's clearly on a trajectory to play.

I wouldn't assume the freshman class will be totally untouched either (and I know you didn't say "totally.") Not expecting a ton to leave, but feels like there could be a few who see others contributing right away and decide to move on. There's just going to be more churn in general, even with the second transfer waivers all being denied. They might be spring ball transfers too - but we are bringing in a lot of WR/DB types next year after signing a lot this year and some of them will move on early. 

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Why do you think we need to push Bretz out the door?  He is a sophomore who is 2nd string on the depth chart (behind a senior, so a projected starter next year).  Is it because he was a lowly 3* recruit from Nebraska?

Not at all, I'm going through the Juniors and Sophomores on the roster and trying to figure out which players will have to be pushed out to make room. They're likely to push 20 players.

I simply saw players like Bretz who's in his 3rd season and has barely cracked the 2-deep. He's been passed by a former walk-on in Sanford. At the end of the day, getting rid of 20 players currently on the roster means that current backups or starters will likely have to move on, and in my opinion Bretz is probably one of those players. I certainly hope I'm wrong.