The Israel-Hamas War

2 hours ago, Fru said:

I would argue that selective and curated social media content is far more responsible for their “message” gaining support than these kinds of protests. 

Sure. But that's the case with most social movements, including Civil Rights and Vietnam. The original message was also considered extreme, naive, and/or unrealistic until it started getting echoed by more establishment sources. People block traffic and bridges and take over lunch counters insisting their cause can't be ignored. Because, in truth, it's pretty easy to ignore. People still mock the protestors, but chances are they are now using language the protestors introduced to the Gaza debate.    

I have to use the Golden Gate Bridge Wednesday.  Let's see if I remain forgiving. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Sure. But that's the case with most social movements, including Civil Rights and Vietnam. The original message was also considered extreme, naive, and/or unrealistic until it started getting echoed by more establishment sources. People block traffic and bridges and take over lunch counters insisting their cause can't be ignored. Because, in truth, it's pretty easy to ignore. People still mock the protestors, but chances are they are now using language the protestors introduced to the Gaza debate.    

I have to use the Golden Gate Bridge Wednesday.  Let's see if I remain forgiving. 

American teenagers protesting for their right to vote or to not be drafted into war is hardly comparable to today’s youth protesting in support of Hamas/Palestine. I’m failing to see any parallels. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Fru said:

American teenagers protesting for their right to vote or to not be drafted into war is hardly comparable to today’s youth protesting in support of Hamas/Palestine. I’m failing to see any parallels. 

That was my thought as well.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Fru said:

You're presuming the young peson's interest is entirely self-interest; motivated to avoid being drafted rather than drawing attention to the immorality of the Vietnam war itself, waged by people they couldn't vote for.

It's comparable to every social justice movement where young people have a natural and often knee-jerk rejection of authority, and align themselves with the underdog. In terms of foreign conflicts it's always about anti-Western colonialism, Palestine being the latest in a long line. Some of the protesters are just anarchist d******ds larping out. Many are not. The d******ds will always get the camera time. 

People used the same disgusted language to describe white kids attending sit-ins with negroes and being arrested protesting the Vietnam war in the early '60s. Now those same kids are celebrated in black and white retrospectives. Gaza could be a blip on the radar, neither Civil Rights nor Vietnam, but the way the narrative has flipped in six months and the potential for a full scale Middle East reckoning suggests the young protestors may have a case.   

• Haha 3

Without looking it up, can anyone tell me why people were gluing their hands to countertops?

Without looking it up, can anyone tell me why protesters were throwing soup on paintings?

I just don't think these kinds of protests move the needle in a direction the protesters want it moved. 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Without looking it up, can anyone tell me why people were gluing their hands to countertops?

Without looking it up, can anyone tell me why protesters were throwing soup on paintings?

I just don't think these kinds of protests move the needle in a direction the protesters want it moved. 

When I did it, it was an accident.  I just was not paying attention and next thing I know...stuck to another countertop!  

But I also think that was done as a Starbies protest???

The soup on paintings I have no idea and don't remember hearing about that one.

I totally agree with you that these kinds of protests do not help in the way they hope it helps/ 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
46 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I totally agree with you that these kinds of protests do not help in the way they hope it helps/ 

I don’t think many of the Pro Pal protestors even have or want an end goal or solution. They shriek about a “ceasefire” as if a ceasefire with a terrorist organization is even some kind of viable option. In fact, the more I hear from them, the more I’m convinced that they just want something to be mad at Joe Biden about. Their stances seem to be largely based off social media posts with disingenuous rhetoric and a fundamental lack of understanding about the historical events that have led up to the situation today.

They don’t really care about Gazans. If they did, they wouldn’t gleefully gloat “Enjoy Trump, because we aren’t voting for Biden.” They don’t really care about the US selling weapons to other countries. I’m yet to hear a peep from them about the 400k people in Yemen that were killed by weapons the US sold to Saudi Arabia. 

Folks can pretend that it’s some kind of romanticized tradition of youths cheering for the underdog akin to voting rights or not wanting to be sent off to die in war all they want. It simply isn’t even close to being in the same stratosphere. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ugggg, great.  Your post @Fru is going to somehow get ME a lecture about how I need to embrace the Pro-Pally Bros! and how they are changing the world!

I kid, I kid

Ha I’m sure I’ll get the same lecture.

• Haha 1