What did we learn? Mich St version

Red Five

I did needed yard work directly after the game, and I am not going to go back through this entire thread.  I really didn't learn anything today. 

• I am being realistic and known NU is a flawed team with a flawed roster, and the coaches aren't perfect. 
  • NU's margin of error is very slim each week. 
  • The D gave up some big plays which cost them points, which hadn't happened the prior 3 weeks.
  • The offense is bad, but reasonable considering the amount of young guys and backups we are playing
  • NU needs to do their best to find 2 QB's in the transfer portal.  One young one, and one older one.
  • Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I did needed yard work directly after the game, and I am not going to go back through this entire thread.  I really didn't learn anything today. 

• I am being realistic and known NU is a flawed team with a flawed roster, and the coaches aren't perfect. 
  • NU's margin of error is very slim each week. 
  • The D gave up some big plays which cost them points, which hadn't happened the prior 3 weeks.
  • The offense is bad, but reasonable considering the amount of young guys and backups we are playing
  • NU needs to do their best to find 2 QB's in the transfer portal.  One young one, and one older one.

Pretty solid take.  We all want it to be better, but we are not a very good team yet.  Bowl game is a great goal.  Anything else is bonus.

• Thanks 2
17 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

People, in general, have overlooked how bad we’ve played on offense in our B1G wins.

Fixed that for you.     :)     Defense had been extremely good coming into this one in the previous three.

I also saw some pretty bad pass blocking today. I know Ricky had the one scramble that setup the late TD, but I wish his instincts were a little better to just tuck it & run when the pass isn't there.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Fixed that for you.     :)     Defense had been extremely good coming into this one in the previous three.

I also saw some pretty bad pass blocking today. I know Ricky had the one scramble that setup the late TD, but I wish his instincts were a little better to just tuck it & run when the pass isn't there.

It's not so much tucking and running, but it's being able to move around in the pocket or extend a play and then make a pass on the run.  The blocking has to be near perfect for Haarberg to make any attempt at a pass, and then we have to pray that the pass is on target.

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's not so much tucking and running, but it's being able to move around in the pocket or extend a play and then make a pass on the run.

Well I don't know about you, but I'd rather see him just scrambling than throwing into coverage like he did multiple times today.

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The blocking has to be near perfect for Haarberg to make any attempt at a pass, and then we have to pray that the pass is on target.

Agree here. His brain is clearly rattled if he can't just stand there with a four yard forcefield of a bubble. And even then he'll miss passes he just shouldn't. His 42% completion rate today is just plain awful.

I do think though that Satterfield (or "Scatterfield," as the NBS guy said multiple times) was going to the play action call a bit too early in the first half. We'd get Johnson going and then instead of just running those same plays until the defense stopped us we'd call a pass on 1st & 10, it'd be incomplete, and then we were setup for 3rd & long.

That really, really bothers me. Yes, the players have to execute whatever is called, blah blah blah. As good as I think Satt is doing with what he has, I think he's a little too into trying to outsmart the opposing DC sometimes.

We had a 59% run/pass ratio today so all in all I can't say that the mix we had was bad and I know we can't just run it 80% of our plays.

• Plus1 2

I don't know what to think about the o-line play.  Is it coaching or want too?  Is it talent or is it lack of talent?  The only reason I would like to see Purdy get some action is he surely can pass a little bit better than HH.  Don't know if Purdy would have enough time to get some completions.  

Recruiting is a must right now.  Transfer portal is very important going into next season, however, we got Jeff Sims.  If that is the best we can do in the portal, were in trouble.  

Just now, Undone said:

Well I don't know about you, but I'd rather see him just scrambling than throwing into coverage like he did multiple times today.

Agree here. His brain is clearly rattled if he can't just stand there with a four yard forcefield of a bubble. And even then he'll miss passes he just shouldn't. His 42% completion rate today is just plain awful.

I think our thoughts aren't far off from each other.  Maybe I am expecting too much for Haarberg to be able to move around in the pocket or scramble to one side and stay looking downfield to find an open receiver.  He obviously has issues doing that, so yes, his best option may just be to try and find a lane and run.

The trouble with that is that I don't think Haarberg is very quick.  Yes, he's a big and fast guy, especially in the open field, but he doesn't have good and quick feet.  He lumbers around on the field.  But, that's why the coaches were looking for him to be an H-Back type at the beginning of the season.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, he's a big and fast guy, especially in the open field, but he doesn't have good and quick feet.  He lumbers around on the field.  But, that's why the coaches were looking for him to be an H-Back type at the beginning of the season.

Agreed. I'd love it for Chubba if he could come in and contribute to a win or two in these last three. But I'm assuming he's just not looking very good in practice.

5 minutes ago, BlackHillsHusker said:

And going to get worse as teams get film.  I'd say he hasn't regressed as much as teams can now game plan for him.

I would completely agree with this.  I think teams have seen enough now on HH  to know how to defend against his scrambling.  Teams have also seen enough film now on our defense to beat the pressure.  I think were in trouble going forward to win that 6th game.  This game was soooo important to get bowl bound.  I feel we let this one get away on both sides of the ball today.  It was mostly on the offense, but our defense wasn't as sharp either.  Our D has to be flawless to win game like this, and it wasn't today and that's completely unfair for those fellas, but its reality  for this years team.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Undone said:

Agreed. I'd love it for Chubba if he could come in and contribute to a win or two in these last three. But I'm assuming he's just not looking very good in practice.

I just don't think Purdy is getting many reps in practice.  Once the season starts, teams are installing game plans and doing prep work for that specific game.  That means the reps are going to the top guys, especially when the coaches are trying to do their best to improve Haarberg for this season.