What did we learn? Maryland edition

Enhance

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Statistically, today at least, chances of scoring a TD from the five were greater by running the ball.  Play for the win. 

Tend to lean toward running the ball. There's a legitimate argument both ways IMO. Passing it offers more risk and higher reward, while running offers less risk and lower reward. 

With the TD throw that probably provides us a greater probability of winning IF we can subsequently stop them from scoring a TD and avoid OT. That's not a guarantee, though. The folks arguing for running have a point taking into consideration we're playing our third quarterback and a rush is the safer, more reliable option. Still, if you're going to be an aggressor playing for the win, the idea is to go for a knockout blow approaching the finish rather than a battle of attrition as time is expiring. It's possible a touchdown is scored rushing as well. 

We can all agree that the game sucked. Another squandered opportunity...

The much larger issue though, in my opinion, is the play of our quarterbacks. Rhule took a risk with Sims that didn't pan out. Haarberg hasn't been an answer and there's no indication that Purdy is. I'm more concerned with getting a quarterback here that can run an offense effectively and efficiently. We lost this game due to turnovers. The regularity of which we do it is massive and costly. It's terribly difficult to gain momentum giving the ball away. Only execution does that.

The defense did their part. The game plan was decent enough. I anticipated more points being scored and it not being that close. That's a pretty decent offense that we faced. Their defense wasn't particularly good and yet we only scored 10 points. Satterfield might need to sharpen his game though the outcome is attributable to our not having an offense that functions well enough to win mostly due to the play of our QB's. 

1 minute ago, tyrone_biggums said:

What I'm still trying to learn is why even call satterfield a QB coach? They obviously don't practice quarterbacking. How long has Haarberg been throwing sidearm and turning wide open passes into horrible arm punts? Can no one teach him how to correctly throw a football? 

Longer than 6 months…

5 minutes ago, tyrone_biggums said:

What I'm still trying to learn is why even call satterfield a QB coach? They obviously don't practice quarterbacking. How long has Haarberg been throwing sidearm and turning wide open passes into horrible arm punts? Can no one teach him how to correctly throw a football? 

Haarberg’s throwing motion isn’t on Satterfield. That thing is just busted. However, Satterfield should go to coaching TE’s like the original plan, and Rhule needs to bring in a QB coach who can coach and develop QB’s. 

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Haarberg’s throwing motion isn’t on Satterfield. That thing is just busted. However, Satterfield should go to coaching TE’s like the original plan, and Rhule needs to bring in a QB coach who can coach and develop QB’s. 

Eventually we have to blame the QB coach for the current QB not being able to properly hit a target. 

but yes what I'm getting at is we need a real QB coach. How is there no one who, in two years, has taught Haarberg a throwing motion that even somewhat resembles what it should be?

Just now, tyrone_biggums said:

Eventually we have to blame the QB coach for the current QB not being able to properly hit a target. 

but yes what I'm getting at is we need a real QB coach. How is there no one who, in two years, has taught Haarberg a throwing motion that even somewhat resembles what it should be?

Haarberg has been here 3 years. If Haarberg’s motion was going to be fixed, it needed to be his first year at NU.  Haarberg received no coaching last year, because Whipple was focused on Casey Thompson and Chubba Purdy and Haarberg was 4th string. The new coaches tried to work with Haarberg this spring, but it didn’t take. Nothing can be done with his throwing motion. I do agree that teaching him and the other QB’s better decision making is something that a better QB coach/OC could be able to do. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, InOmaha said:

Watching Wisconsin and Iowa today gives me hope.  This division is a mess.  A couple of players here and there on offense (or only 2-3 turnovers a game) with this Defense and the team loses to Michigan so far.  Maybe Colorado.

I'll take the better defense and hope to get to 6 wins.

Wiscy is down 24-3 to Northwestern at half, Iowa got a FG so they are close to their average ppg.

Every just hired coach coming into a losing program is tossing a team together in a rush and patching gaps.  If this Defense gets better next year and the offense can gain recruits, we'll jump off the bottom of the conference quickly.

There will be no west division to win next year. We will be thrown in wt all the big boys

1 hour ago, chamrocck said:

I’d like to understand what is going on with our WRs downfield as well. With young guys who aren’t getting open this creates another layer to our problems. We all wanted to see Coleman on the field but I don’t see him creating separation and he is dropping balls. No Trey Palmer this year to have some highlights.  Our whole offense is a work in progress and needs a major upgrade. I like EJ and Fidone and that’s about it.

Fidone currently gives with crappy blocking for whatever he provides in limited receiving. 

15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Haarberg received no coaching last year, because Whipple was focused on Casey Thompson and Chubba Purdy and Haarberg was 4th string

And probably a good assessment as we are now finding out.  

• Plus1 2