What did we learn? Maryland edition

Enhance

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm going to state the obvious.  The huge red flag here is the 4 INTs.  If those don't happen and the play calling is very similar, the passing yards (and even the rushing yards) are probably increased quite a bit.  At least the scoring would be and we would be having very different conversations right now.

Agreed. Maryland racked up 384 yards on offense and only came up with 13 points.

We're just doomed to fail with these turnovers.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm going to state the obvious.  The huge red flag here is the 4 INTs.  If those don't happen and the play calling is very similar, the passing yards (and even the rushing yards) are probably increased quite a bit.  At least the scoring would be and we would be having very different conversations right now.

So what is the cure?  Obviously, we aren't going to see our QBs become turnover free during the next 2 weeks.  Seems to me we will need to go with heavy set - control clock and run, run, run with a few 'safe' passes and trust our D to save the day for us with turnovers and keeping the other side from scoring much.   I hope The Rhule has 3 quality QBs targeted as possible NIL candidates. 

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Stats not for the feint-of-heart, courtesy 247:

Nebraska now has a trio of three-point losses on its docket for this season, and in those three losses (Minnesota, Michigan State, Maryland) the Huskers have committed 12 total turnovers and own a -8 turnover margin. Opponents in those three games have had 10 scoring drives, and four of those 10 have come off turnovers. Nearly 25 percent of Nebraska’s offensive drives have ended in turnovers this season overall. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

Maybe somebody said this earlier, but I thought our pass protection was actually really solid. Even the one sack we gave up looked to me like issues with the TE and RB, not the OL. Unfortunately the good pass pro (and run blocking for the most part) made the INTs even more frustrating - no real reason to mitigate blame on the QB for any of them, except maybe Purdy's. Not sure what the receivers are supposed to do but I don't think they did it on that one. Still can't throw it right at the guy though.

The turnovers are largely a microcosm of coaching and confidence. Something obviously isn't clicking somewhere. I don't know exactly how much fault to put on Satt but he bears a majority of it. As the OC and QB coach, it is a tremendously awful look when all three of your QB's can't execute the offense you installed and make awful decisions with the football.

I don't always think some of the issues are explicitly the QB's fault (it did look like the WR held up on the end zone INT) but still it all goes back to what's the play call, what are the most important things to execute on the call, and how do you ensure you protect the football. Even with all the injuries, It's baffling that they're in week 10 and some of the simplest elements of what needs to be executed just... aren't there.

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So what is the cure?  Obviously, we aren't going to see our QBs become turnover free during the next 2 weeks.  Seems to me we will need to go with heavy set - control clock and run, run, run with a few 'safe' passes and trust our D to save the day for us with turnovers and keeping the other side from scoring much.   I hope The Rhule has 3 quality QBs targeted as possible NIL candidates. 

Well, me personally?  If he's healthy enough, I want to see Purdy get all the practice reps.  Start him this week.  Call a very heavy run game plan with play action and some option mixed in.  Actually, Purdy had some runs on Saturday that surprised me when I was able to finally see some highlights.  But, hand the ball off, play the field position game, preach to Purdy that if a guy isn't open, throw it AWAY!!!  Live to play another down.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Maybe somebody said this earlier, but I thought our pass protection was actually really solid. Even the one sack we gave up looked to me like issues with the TE and RB, not the OL. Unfortunately the good pass pro (and run blocking for the most part) made the INTs even more frustrating - no real reason to mitigate blame on the QB for any of them, except maybe Purdy's. Not sure what the receivers are supposed to do but I don't think they did it on that one. Still can't throw it right at the guy though.

I didn't get to watch the whole game but it did seem to be pretty good.  The PFF grading and number of pressures seemed to indicate this was the best game of the year for the OL.

HH nothing doing. Sims has a couple scoring drives then the turnover bug bit him…again. Purdy has a really solid drive and Coleman gives up on the route and turnover…

Purdy should get the start but I would be interested to see what Woche can do at this point. Can’t get any worse…

Fidone should do nothing but work on blocking this week in practice and McGuire needs to get in Coleman’s ear and teach him how to toughen up when he gets jammed. 

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Also from 247:

That stat is even better than it sounds because of all the short fields the offense has unfortunately provided for the opposing teams offense.  Along with the amount of offensive possessions the Defense has had to defend against.   Again because of the anemic offense.  

• Plus1 3
24 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The turnovers are largely a microcosm of coaching and confidence. Something obviously isn't clicking somewhere. I don't know exactly how much fault to put on Satt but he bears a majority of it. As the OC and QB coach, it is a tremendously awful look when all three of your QB's can't execute the offense you installed and make awful decisions with the football.

I don't always think some of the issues are explicitly the QB's fault (it did look like the WR held up on the end zone INT) but still it all goes back to what's the play call, what are the most important things to execute on the call, and how do you ensure you protect the football. Even with all the injuries, It's baffling that they're in week 10 and some of the simplest elements of what needs to be executed just... aren't there.

To the bolded.  Is it coaching though? (yes, I know there are drills and reinforcements, etc)  We have seen it now over how many coaches starting with Solich in 99.  I know everyone was kind of joking, but I am starting to wonder if it really does have something to do with the Adidas football, or something systemic within the program.