What did we learn? Wiscy Edition

Hammerhead

57 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I learned alot

I learned i dont like watching the games anymore,  Over the past 20 or so years when things have gotten tougher and tougher it becomes harder and harder to watch.  For me personally that comes with a hand full of things.  It was never the end of november when we were deciding of making a bowl game was possible or not.  But the worse and worse the team gets harder and harder it is to sustain things.  And so now we are playing close in games, games in which 7 years ago we were blowing out these teams and now we barely hang on.  Where it used to be just 3 or 4 chest clenchers a year its all 12 now.  And what was worse this year is that it seemed like we had a chance but we fall short.  We always fall short anymore.  

Coach Rhule looks tired.  Even if we lose on friday it would be one of the fastest turnarounds hes had yet.  From seeing the dime nor he has had the past 3 games i think hes tired of us fans s#!t.  He isnt used to being scrutinized this much, that im sure of.  Even if its what hes paid to do you would get sick of turning in the best report you could of done and all your boss does is talk about the grammar.  

I think were ugly fans,  i honestly see how we talk and treat these people on social media is just sad.  I hate how we are ready to string up Sat on the goalpost even though there is no answer on who or what to replace him with.  Just fire him and lets move on but no one has any time or patience for the next guy either.  Ive seen this for years now on here and on social media.

I dont know how much of a fan i am of this anymore,  its not the fact of winning an being a winner if that were the case id just bandwagon any of the other regular top 10 teams.  It can be just as simple as buying a hat and watching a game.  Its that this has me more upset than ive been in a while.  Is that the hope it takes to watch someone fix themselves and all you can do is cheer on the sidelines.  You can truly do nothing to help because there is nothing that you can do.  

I honestly do think we play football just fine, i think there is something else, some type of lingering thing that just keeps holding on here.  None of those trophys they see mean anything to them, none of the past holds any weight here.  In this new place, in our new place.  Theres a reason we are holding on to those losing records, why those things linger.  Like old people talking bout the war that no one was old enough to experience but were to put a dot behind it and put some respect when we talk about it.  I think i like the off season more, because with hope you can at least be surprised by what may or may not happen.  

Lots of Hope but alot of despair also

Been noticing that. For quite some time actually. Satterfield looks tired too. Sufficient sleep translates into better decision-making. Even a hammer "rests" before it strikes again. They've been busting their butts ever since they got here. Attempting to do too much is a real thing.  Perhaps a little more downtime is in order.

I don't think that the sky is falling as many do while, I do think that there are legitimate criticisms, areas that are needing to be improved upon. I suppose communications between coaches that have been working with others could have a little effect as well and, maybe being on an NFL sideline has differences with collage. Something I've been thinking about.  At any rate, it's been a rough ride. We probably could've accomplished more and haven't. 

46 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This was the clip I was looking for that the YouTube edit guy's video doesn't show.

I still think "bad clock management" is debatable on the last drive...but the more I watch that clip, the more I agree that it was bad. When Purdy gets the long scramble to set up 1st & 10 at their 26 with 1:35 left, Wisconsin takes a timeout. Next play, we run power on 1st down and get 8 yards. No way in hell anybody can have any complaints with that; if we pass and it's incomplete there it's 6 straight days of b****ing on here about it.

But yeah, Rhule should have taken a timeout after that 1st down run. I'd go back and do that if it was possible. But then on the 2nd down play that follows we run a toss (something we had had good success with) and it gets stuff. If we execute it and get a good gain & the 1st down conversion, maybe Rhule plays it differently. Just don't know.

Coach clearly wanted to run power to work the ball closer to the goal line so that the FG would be an easy one for Alvano, and he clearly doesn't want to risk the INT.

As pissed as I am about the loss, I think Purdy and the offense was amazing on that drive. Blocking, running, passing was excellent.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Really don't know what we learned other than Purdy played pretty darn well and, we still come up with ways to limit our success...

Think it's sort of like "turtles all the way down" and infinite regress. :lol:  There's been a series of staffs and teams stacked one upon another affecting all the subsequent ones. Change upon change resulting in fluid footing. It takes a great deal to reestablish a solid foundation or "tracks" to operate upon. Culture's a big part of it then one factors in all the various moving parts from scheme, language, players, etc, etc, it's like a steam locomotive being able to gather momentum.  

There isn't the amount of progress we want. It's all very frustrating. Yet, I do believe that there's been a lot of hard lifting going on that will eventually produce more and more of the outcomes that we're all wanting. Keep working with the soil, sowing the right  seeds and providing everything they need that will produce productive yields!

• Plus1 1

Great game.  Sad ending in Overtime.

If I follow this team and know the strange idiosyncrasies of bone-headed fumbles and throwing freak interceptions late in games, I would have been very cautious during the last few plays of the last drive. 

The clock management was ok for this type of offense because of that. The goal was to somehow get into FG range with 3 minutes left in the game and be able to tie the game and live another day (OT).  Scoring a touchdown would have been wonderful too.  However, the offense went 60 yards and was in scoring range (FG).  At that point, I felt so good and just did not trust putting the ball on the ground (running plays) or a pick (dumb pass).  So I am ok with that.  Because we were trying to win but also, not shoot ourselves in the foot.   

I thought it was a great game, and I really have no complaints.  

NBC did a phenomenal job with pre-game studio, pre-game field shots of the band, the play-by-play & analyst (announcers).  The whole coverage of the game from start to halftime to finish was unique and different for the usual football games, and it felt like it was the only game on TV.  

Just sad to see the Huskers play so well, take it to overtime, and not come out with the Win.

Tip my hat to Wisconsin, they converted some big-time 3rd downs with QB draws and a lot of passes to Pauling (#6).  Also, a shout out to Chubba Purdy with his first start of the year.  Kid looked relaxed & confident, similar or a bit like Joe Ganz, and played very well.  Threw some very good passes on the money and showed quickness and burst of speed running.

And finally, the Huskers might not have won, but it's really impressive that they held Allen to 62 yards on 22 carries.  My math says that is a little less than 3 yards per carry, and his longest run was 17 yards.  Wow.

I enjoyed the game, felt like we were slightly the better team on the field, and could have won.  Sad it didn't happen.  Tip my cap to Wisconsin. 

Bring on Iowa.  

• TBH 3

Really nothing tbh.  A lot like watching Frost for 5 years to be honest.  Chances to win and then snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  

Chubba played well.  Pleasant surprise.

Hoping we get Iowa looking to the B1G championship.  Be great too bowling and beating them 2 years in a row.

Better on penalties.  Chubba cadence might have been an issue and the noise.

A lot of work going into 2024 season.

For me, pre-season, I said bowl or bust.  Not as a measure of Rhule and success, but a visual, tangible "thing" that showed we are better.  Probably 5-7. With a pretty down B1G West.  Just like last year.   With a Interim coach....

Just 3 really crappy looses in a row.  To 3 teams on multiple game losing streaks...

GBR!

1 hour ago, Undone said:

This was the clip I was looking for that the YouTube edit guy's video doesn't show.

I still think "bad clock management" is debatable on the last drive...but the more I watch that clip, the more I agree that it was bad. When Purdy gets the long scramble to set up 1st & 10 at their 26 with 1:35 left, Wisconsin takes a timeout. Next play, we run power on 1st down and get 8 yards. No way in hell anybody can have any complaints with that; if we pass and it's incomplete there it's 6 straight days of b****ing on here about it.

But yeah, Rhule should have taken a timeout after that 1st down run. I'd go back and do that if it was possible. But then on the 2nd down play that follows we run a toss (something we had had good success with) and it gets stuff. If we execute it and get a good gain & the 1st down conversion, maybe Rhule plays it differently. Just don't know.

Coach clearly wanted to run power to work the ball closer to the goal line so that the FG would be an easy one for Alvano, and he clearly doesn't want to risk the INT.

As pissed as I am about the loss, I think Purdy and the offense was amazing on that drive. Blocking, running, passing was excellent.

The last drive of regulation was an absolute disaster.

Took over on our 20 with 3:27 left and all three timeouts

Got a defensive holding flag on the first play; moves us to the 30

Four yard completion to Fidone

Johnson 18 yard run.  So far so good.

But then we wasted 30 seconds before we snapped it again.  Ran the ball again and lost two yards.  Yuck.

Wasted another 34 seconds before we snapped it again.  Clock goes under 2:00.

Purdy bails us out with a scramble and gets out of bounds.  1:35 to play on Wisconsin's 26.  Wisconsin calls timeout.

Johnson runs for 7 yards.

Then we waste another 37 seconds before we snap it again.  THREE TIMES IT TOOK US OVER 30 SECONDS TO SNAP THE BALL IN OUR HURRY-UP OFFENSE.  THIS LAST ONE AFTER A TIMEOUT!  HOW DO WE NOT HAVE TWO PLAYS FIGURED OUT DURING THE TIMEOUT!?!?!?!?!?

Then we just give up and play for the field goal.

We should have had at least another minute to work with - over two minutes total - from Wisconsin's 20 yard line.  But we pissed it away because we didn't get plays in fast enough.  AND WE DIDN'T USE ANY OF OUR TIMEOUTS UNTIL AFTER WE HAD GIVEN UP AND DECIDED TO PLAY FOR THE FIELD GOAL.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The last drive of regulation was an absolute disaster.

Took over on our 20 with 3:27 left and all three timeouts

Got a defensive holding flag on the first play; moves us to the 30

Four yard completion to Fidone

Johnson 18 yard run.  So far so good.

But then we wasted 30 seconds before we snapped it again.  Ran the ball again and lost two yards.  Yuck.

Wasted another 34 seconds before we snapped it again.  Clock goes under 2:00.

Purdy bails us out with a scramble and gets out of bounds.  1:35 to play on Wisconsin's 26.  Wisconsin calls timeout.

Johnson runs for 7 yards.

Then we waste another 37 seconds before we snap it again.  THREE TIMES IT TOOK US OVER 30 SECONDS TO SNAP THE BALL IN OUR HURRY-UP OFFENSE.  THIS LAST ONE AFTER A TIMEOUT!  HOW DO WE NOT HAVE TWO PLAYS FIGURED OUT DURING THE TIMEOUT!?!?!?!?!?

Then we just give up and play for the field goal.

We should have had at least another minute to work with - over two minutes total - from Wisconsin's 20 yard line.  But we pissed it away because we didn't get plays in fast enough.  AND WE DIDN'T USE ANY OF OUR TIMEOUTS UNTIL AFTER WE HAD GIVEN UP AND DECIDED TO PLAY FOR THE FIELD GOAL.

Amen, that is what I have been saying since yesterday. We had all the momentum in that last drive and Wisconsin was scrambling and could not stop us. Rhule did a better job of stifling our momentum than Wisconsin. We should have been in hurry mode and intending to score a TD all along. Unfortunately, it appears like Rhule was playing for the tie since we took the ball over. Either he did not trust his offense to score a TD or his defense to defend if we scored early. Regardless, with 1:35 to go on the 26 yard line and 3 timeouts, that is an eternity to score. Instead we ended up kicking a FG on second down. If we are going to go down, let is go down swinging and not being afraid of success. When you have momentum and your opponent is reeling, you run it down their throats and not go for overtime in their own backyard. The end of the game was mismanaged and this is not the first time Rhule does that. It is a well known weakness of his. He needs to work on that.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Amen, that is what I have been saying since yesterday. We had all the momentum in that last drive and Wisconsin was scrambling and could not stop us. Rhule did a better job of stifling our momentum than Wisconsin. We should have been in hurry mode and intending to score a TD all along. Unfortunately, it appears like Rhule was playing for the tie since we took the ball over. Either he did not trust his offense to score a TD or his defense to defend if we scored early. Regardless, with 1:35 to go on the 26 yard line and 3 timeouts, that is an eternity to score. Instead we ended up kicking a FG on second down. If we are going to go down, let is go down swinging and not being afraid of success. When you have momentum and your opponent is reeling, you run it down their throats and not go for overtime in their own backyard. The end of the game was mismanaged and this is not the first time Rhule does that. It is a well known weakness of his. He needs to work on that.

If we die, we die....Or as the Spartans said "With your shield or on it".  Rather go down trying to win, than trying not to lose.

• Plus1 1

Take the end result out of the picture, and let's look at some positives for a moment.  

Phalen Samford is around 195lbs, saw the running back's lane, charged full speed and blasted Acker who is a 250lb running back - and stood him up enough for the DLine to finish it off.  How do you not get excited about that?  He went nuclear on their RB and it was awesome!  That was like 3rd and one.  And he totally sold out for the team, and the defense.  Incredible.

Omar Brown is maybe 185lbs soaking wet and blasted Allen (or Akers) on a 4th down and one or two, and then crashed the line and put everything he had into it like Samford did.  How do you not get excited about that?  He whacked the snot out of him.

Ty Robinson crashed threw the gap, bulldozed threw 240lb Allen and threw their QB down for a 10 yard loss (but officials marked it at first contact and made it a 5 yard loss).  He blew that hole up and destroy their QB.  How do you not get fired up about that?

Emmet Johnson has nowhere to run, but often he finds a crease, hits it fast, runs low, and picks up 3 tough yards and always twisting or falling forward (sometimes 4 or 5 yard run) when it looks like a no-gainer when the play develops.  That is Rex style and how do you not appreciate that?

When Chubba Purdy dropped back and immediately fired a 15-20 yard pass to a slanting Coleman and places the pass right in stride with him and they connect for a big time conversion (a little bit high for a pass as Coleman had to go up and grab it).....  that was awesome!  And on the TD pass to Lloyd, hitting him right in stride so he could catch and run.... again, how can you not get fired up about that?

And lastly, come on, there were two obvious things about Chubba on passing plays that were very similar to former QBs. 

One - he receives the snap from shotgun formation, then takes an additional 7 step drop back (like Tommy YOLO Armstrong always did) to give him more time and vision, but TWO, he rolls out of the pocket with a burst and then suddenly he is looking like Joe Ganz ready to throw on the run.  LOL it was pretty freaking awesome.  But also glad he didn't throw across the field like Ganz did (sometimes it worked, sometimes it was an interception).  

So yeah, take the end result away from the game and look at some of the really awesome positives that happened.  You can build off of that IMHO.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

We apparently have no answer for the QB run.   The guy wasn't that athletic, but we kept whiffing.  He also had a bad hand which left him susceptible to turnovers had we gotten some decent hits.

We can't seem to find decent kickers or punters anymore. 

Apparently, our OC and head coach think the end of the game last week and this week were the same situation when they were entirely different. 

Our kicker will be fine. He’s a freshman and just needs a little time to get used to D1 play. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

I learned that if we are going to run the option we need to bring in Crouch in the off season to teach how to do it right. The stupid hop skip all our qbs do toward the running back before pitching telegraphs the pitch and commits the QB to the pitch because it takes away the opportunity to cut it up and run. It also takes out the QB as a blocker to help protect the runners backside. Love the option, but its clear these coaches don't know how to coach the qb to run it correctly.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1