Proud of Coach Rhule

tmfr15

21 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Coach Rhule gave his last game week presser yesterday ahead of the Iowa game and I left it feeling pretty good about the leadership we have and what that could mean for the future despite a season where Nebraska could finish short of a bowl game for the seventh consecutive year. 

We had game management issues and we've had play calling issues and blah blah blah. We have had only five wins. We've lost one score games and I am tired of watching that crap time after time. It's frustrating and I get it.

But I am excited about our young players. Chubba looked fantastic early on last week. I really hope he is the future. The running back position, starting with EJ, looks good. And the defense has been really nice this year, not only production but also from a development standpoint and from a tackling standpoint. I liked the fact that Chubba got the chance after sitting out and I am glad he wasn't forced into the lineup when he still wasn't 100 percent. That probably took restraint from the coach when Sims fizzled, and Heinrich struggled at times. Rhule waited for the right timing and with Heinrich still dinged up physically and SIms dinged up mentally, it was the right time.

I like how he talked about Iowa too. The Iowa rivalry stuff is just lame as heck really. I have never considered Iowa as a rival. They're not very good. We haven't been very good either. This is as high of stakes as they ever get, a fight for bowl eligibility on one side and a lame trophy. Last year, NU spoiled the Hawks from going to the title game where they would have gotten blasted anyway. We probably did them a favor.

Rhule signaled respect toward Iowa and the Ferentz family and I liked the spirit of it. They got some wins. Good for them. We just want to go out there and get No. 6 and get to a bowl. 

That leadership makes me believe in Rhule. It makes me want to cheer for him. It makes it easier to have the mentality of focusing on Nebraska and the work towards an improved product over hating any school, be it Iowa or Wisky or the Bucks or whoever. 

Respect your opponent. Go get wins. And go from there.

Good job Coach Rhule. I hope we beat Iowa and get this bowl business behind us. Regardless though, I am hopeful for the future and glad we have a good HC.

Great post.  I haven't had a chance to listen to Rhule's presser today, hopefully will during a walk later.  

Regardless of how Friday plays out, its refreshing to finally have an adult at the helm of the progrum who can both be a positive ambassador while also connecting with today's youth.  We haven't had this combo since Solich.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

He's good at saying things in pressers. He also seems to be fairly good at motivating the players. And his defensive coordinator has to be one of the 10 best in the country.

But it's in the zip code at least of "s***ing the bed" as a program if we lose this game to make it four straight losses to end the season. I think that can be true and also "we're at least slightly better than we ever were in the last six years" at the same time if we lose to Iowa.

Need to win this game.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Undone said:

He's good at saying things in pressers. He also seems to be fairly good at motivating the players. And his defensive coordinator has to be one of the 10 best in the country.

But it's in the zip code at least of "s***ing the bed" as a program if we lose this game to make it four straight losses to end the season. I think that can be true and also "we're at least slightly better than we ever were in the last six years" at the same time if we lose to Iowa.

Need to win this game.

1000% need to win this game.  There are def clear signs of progress but I don't know how you refute the MSU/Maryland disasters that put us in this position.  

I've seen clear progress in the intensity and fundamental play of this team.  It's also come against a schedule that is the easiest we've seen in some time and probably won't see a schedule this favorable in a very long time, if ever.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Big picture, I like what I see and agree with the OP.  Right now of course I would love to see a win on Friday.  However, I don't think winning Friday changes where we are going as a program very much.   

Long term, a win or loss on Friday is not going to determine if Rhule is going to be successful here or not.  But....it would go a long ways to making the off season more fun and some fans more optimistic.  

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Long term, a win or loss on Friday is not going to determine if Rhule is going to be successful here or not.  But....it would go a long ways to making the off season more fun and some fans more optimistic.  

Agreed.  Even if we end up in Detroit or Shreveport, most of the fan base would be happy.    

1 minute ago, KCBuc said:

The lack of SC of the previous coach shows. Hopefully the redshirts come ready to play next year, and they recruited gamers. I give them zero chance to beat Iowa. 

Agree on both accounts. SC doesn’t appear overnight! Hopefully good things to come…. Now for Iowa… they have allowed 2 rushing TD all season. Yikes. Miserably cold weather, with our ball security issues in warm weather, combined with that defense and Iowa ST doesn’t bode well.

42 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

The lack of SC of the previous coach shows. Hopefully the redshirts come ready to play next year, and they recruited gamers. I give them zero chance to beat Iowa. 

Funny how many used to blame injuries on poor S&C and we seem to have had more injuries this year than we have for a long time.

• TBH 3
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Big picture, I like what I see and agree with the OP.  Right now of course I would love to see a win on Friday.  However, I don't think winning Friday changes where we are going as a program very much.   

I think a bowl game would be an immense boost to this progrum.

Massive boost to fan morale and optimism to finally have a game to look forward to again around the holidays

Great boost to the young guys who get an added 3 weeks of reps/practice

A bowl game would mean beating a #20 ranked Iowa for the 2nd year in a row.  Ending our winless streak against ranked teams would be a massive springboard heading into next year

Quite the hot take by me, i know, lol.  But making a bowl vs finishing 5-7 is such a massive swing in perception of this year and momentum heading into next