Bright Spots From The Season

This year was more boring than last year- so that’s good. 

discipline and team resiliency appeared markedly improved.  

Still can’t win in the final two minutes, but I think that gets fixed next year when the team gets more confident with much improved QB play.  

I think us fans got a little ahead of ourselves when we went on our little win streak- like a recovered addict getting heroin we just kinda binged on the good feelings. 

• Fire 2
  • TBH 1

5 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Did anyone get called for targeting? Felt like over the years they'ld get a few guys and at least have reviews every game. So if they didn't have anyone miss a half for targeting thats an improvement 

Ty Robinson got one in the Colorado game and had to miss a half against Northern Illinois. I think that was the only one. Although we probably should have been called for one against Iowa lol. But still like you said, a very noticeable improvement.

Edit- I’m dumb, he got one in the Minnesota game and had to miss a half against Colorado.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Caliborn72 said:

Ty Robinson got one in the Colorado game and had to miss a half against Northern Illinois. I think that was the only one. Although we probably should have been called for one against Iowa lol. But still like you said, a very noticeable improvement.

Edit- I’m dumb, he got one in the Minnesota game and had to miss a half against Colorado.

yeah now I remember.  he dipped his head right into the QB and then pushed him.  thought that was a dumb call. 

21 hours ago, ZRod said:

I don't think you deserved a warning, but, I mean, you basically just s#!t all over a thread that is explicitly dedicated to positivity... :dunno

I was just pointing out how the team was in almost every single game despite 3rd stringers playing important positions, and even with the horrible turnovers we still had a chance to win every game but 1.

Lol, fair.  In my defense, I did immediately add a post on what my positives for the year were.  I think its ok to acknowledge that there were some really good things that we can build on but also some really bad things that need to be fixed asap.  Perhaps our november collapse will be a good thing in the long run; while the upperclassmen have grown to be accustomed to the season ending in november, i hope the younger players use this feeling as motivation to not repeat this experience.  Every goal this team had in front of them was attainable, and largely due to our own doing, we didnt meet said goals.

If we clean up a few unforced mistakes and become more efficient, this 5-7 record quickly turns into a 8-4/9-3...

• Plus1 1
  • Rhule can handle the press and the fans without alienating either
  • OL slight improvement, which is much better than the continued slide under Riley and Frost
  • Injuries - while a major problem this season - got a lot of players experience which hopefully translates into better execution next year
  • Got 5 wins! (I predicted 2 before the season)
  • Competitive in both getting to a bowl game and the B1G West
  • defense was really good and looked great at times
  • young players - especially at DL and WR - seem like the talent level is getting better
  • Oh Yeah! 2

Hutmacher and Robinson will be back next year.   

Tony White was a pleasant surprise.  Hopefully we can find a way to hang onto him. 

Tommi Hill showed a ton of promise against Iowa.  

Emmitt Johnson looks like he can be a reliable RB (if they keep giving him the damn ball).

Chubba Purdy needs some work on decision-making, but the kid can make some nice throws and can run when he commits to it.   I still hope we find a better QB through recruiting or the portal, but I wouldn't feel awful if he were QB2.

Last, but not least: even though Colorado beat us, we still finished with a better record. :lol: