We should accept a bowl given the chance

BoSolich

I don't get the idea of 15 more practices thing.  I never did.  Usually at the end of the year, the starters are looking to heal up injuries and not go full out and practice more.  Sure, they would love to enjoy a trip to California or Florida, play a game with smiles. 

But also, many bowl games are not as viewed as how important the game used to be. Since McCaffery skipped his bowl game with Stanford to get ready for the NFL draft, tons of players have done the same thing since (and to avoid injuries).  It's really gotten bad the last 2 years.  Remember when KSU was to play Alabama, and several players from the Tide chose not to play?  Alabama still rolled over KSU.  

It really stinks when you get a matchup the looks fun on paper, and the QB for the other team chooses not to play, and their RB and 3 best players on defense.  

The extra Husker practices from Bowl games is just some extra conditioning for the healthy Husker players, and gives the staff something to do (and Nebraska writers something to write about).  For the fans it's another game to look forward to and another reason to drink in mid December lol.  I'm joking, I'm kidding... but there is a little truth in that.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, admo said:

I don't get the idea of 15 more practices thing.  I never did.  Usually at the end of the year, the starters are looking to heal up injuries and not go full out and practice more.  Sure, they would love to enjoy a trip to California or Florida, play a game with smiles. 

But also, many bowl games are not as viewed as how important the game used to be. Since McCaffery skipped his bowl game with Stanford to get ready for the NFL draft, tons of players have done the same thing since (and to avoid injuries).  It's really gotten bad the last 2 years.  Remember when KSU was to play Alabama, and several players from the Tide chose not to play?  Alabama still rolled over KSU.  

It really stinks when you get a matchup the looks fun on paper, and the QB for the other team chooses not to play, and their RB and 3 best players on defense.  

The extra Husker practices from Bowl games is just some extra conditioning for the healthy Husker players, and gives the staff something to do (and Nebraska writers something to write about).  For the fans it's another game to look forward to and another reason to drink in mid December lol.  I'm joking, I'm kidding... but there is a little truth in that.  

Bowl games also don't count for redshirts though, so especially being a lower tier bowl if we went 6-6 it's still really helpful for development. Honestly more so if guys sit out - the game itself is kinda secondary, an extra 15 practices for guys like Jaidyn Doss would be great.

Especially with the playoffs expanding, I think the rest of the bowl games will turn into more looks at the young guys on your roster. Even if your seniors want to play, why not use a free game to get game reps for your underclassmen?

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

The extra practice isn’t a benefit for the guys leaving. But, it gives the staff two weeks to focus on the guys they think will move into contributing positions next year.  And, that can be a big benefit. They get the experience of preparing for a game and the attention from the staff. And, the staff also gets to maybe throw in a little something and try it in a game that doesn’t mean anything. 

With your opinion, then spring practice isn’t that big of deal either. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Bowl games also don't count for redshirts though, so especially being a lower tier bowl if we went 6-6 it's still really helpful for development. Honestly more so if guys sit out - the game itself is kinda secondary, an extra 15 practices for guys like Jaidyn Doss would be great.

Especially with the playoffs expanding, I think the rest of the bowl games will turn into more looks at the young guys on your roster. Even if your seniors want to play, why not use a free game to get game reps for your underclassmen?

I was thinking about this today. Can someone explain to me how a bowl game we would have been going to if we had won 6 or 7 games is somehow less meaningful now that we have a playoff than before we had a playoff?

Also, while you’re at it, looking at this year, how was the regular season any less meaningful?

Just curious, I never understood those two arguments against a playoff. 

I’ll hang up and listen. 

• TBH 2

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The extra practice isn’t a benefit for the guys leaving. But, it gives the staff two weeks to focus on the guys they think will move into contributing positions next year.  And, that can be a big benefit. They get the experience of preparing for a game and the attention from the staff. And, the staff also gets to maybe throw in a little something and try it in a game that doesn’t mean anything. 

With your opinion, then spring practice isn’t that big of deal either. 

That's right, extra practices are just practices.

Season is over and players have game tape to work off of.  They have 9 months too. 

How is anybody going to get better with 15 more practices in December, when everybody knows it's just bulls#!t

8tracks radio | Hiphopanonymous (12 songs) | free and music playlist

1 hour ago, admo said:

That's right, extra practices are just practices.

Season is over and players have game tape to work off of.  They have 9 months too. 

How is anybody going to get better with 15 more practices in December, when everybody knows it's just bulls#!t

8tracks radio | Hiphopanonymous (12 songs) | free and music playlist

Hey man, maybe hold some opinions back and not just type out everything that comes to mind. You are on a roll recently and it’s not going as well as you think it is. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2

Good chance Rodents (5W-7L) made bowl. APR.

B1G Bowl eligible, Wolverines, Bucks, PSU, Terps, Rutgers, Hawks, NW, Badgers and most likely, Gophers (9 teams)

Pack the Bags ..... Hoosiers, Boilermakers, Spartans, Illini and Huskers :(

B1G tie-in bowls: Las Vegas, Quicklane, GuaranteedRate, Pinstripes, Music, Orange, Reliaquest (former Outback) and Citrus

also you prob wont be surprised  how many kids in diff sports don't want anything to do with post season if they aren't playing for something decent...If it's a garbage bowl in a 1/2 full stadium in mid December, they are not interested in 15 practices and travel at all. they're  tired and want to be done, go home for holiday etc. the season is a grind. they are done with it.