Best Qb after Taylor Martinez

18 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

I honestly would take Ganz in a heartbeat 

Yeah, Ganz with the 2009 defense would have been the game-changer. 

Zac Lee was groomed to be the next Ganz, an NFL arm running a more efficient college offense, rushing just enough when needed. He was reportedly great in practice, not so much at game time. Memories of that awful 2009 offense meant Lee wasn't automatically handed the starting job in 2010. Then Taylor Martinez was absolutely burning the Husker D in practice and they pivoted back to the dual threat QB, and Taylor was actually a pretty good passer. The first half of that 2010 season was a helluva lot of fun, and I couldn't believe we were going to have Taylor another four years. 

Tommy Armstrong came close in stats and style,  but always felt like a step down from Taylor.

Adrian Martinez's freshman year had me convinced he would be the best of the three. Maybe he was, but losing more games than winning really killed the vibe. 

• TBH 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Taylor was actually a pretty good passer

I was at the Ok State game in Stillwater that ended up being a shootout that Nebraska won.  TM had already built his reputation on running(ask KSU), but that game proved he could pass as well which caught OSU by surprise.  

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I was at the Ok State game in Stillwater that ended up being a shootout that Nebraska won.  TM had already built his reputation on running(ask KSU), but that game proved he could pass as well which caught OSU by surprise.  

Free Martin! 

Watching T-Mart launch TDs because Okie Lite had spies and contain was fun. I also remember our defense/punt coverage not being great. 

Our kick/punt return game is also an overlooked piece of Nebraska’s overall decline. Wiggins, Walker, Groce, Newcome, Paul, Ameer, and DPE. During the Frost years, we got down to “Just catch the ball!” 

23 hours ago, deedsker said:

Free Martin! 

Watching T-Mart launch TDs because Okie Lite had spies and contain was fun. I also remember our defense/punt coverage not being great. 

Our kick/punt return game is also an overlooked piece of Nebraska’s overall decline. Wiggins, Walker, Groce, Newcome, Paul, Ameer, and DPE. During the Frost years, we got down to “Just catch the ball!” 

IIRC, the ST really took off after Bo took over.  I felt like we always had a shot to break one in the return game.  We had some good athletes come through here those years for sure.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

IIRC, the ST really took off after Bo took over.  I felt like we always had a shot to break one in the return game.  We had some good athletes come through here those years for sure.

I did list 2 during his time and DPE being his recruit. Still not the game changers that I remember Groce being.

The phrase we had around our house was, “If you can’t Cheatham (cheat them) Newcome (nuke them). And if you can’t Newcome, Cheatham.” 

Having a good punt returner does miracles when you play the punt national champions every year.

• TBH 1
On 12/8/2023 at 4:05 PM, TGHusker said:

That was such a fun game, Tmart certainly proved he wasn't just a runner.

On 12/8/2023 at 7:55 PM, deedsker said:

We do have a renewed emphasis now on special teams, but we'd also be remiss if we didn't put things in historical context. Kick return numbers are unsurprisingly heavily impacted by recent rule changes but most of those guys you mention are from an era that's very different in terms of punt returns, too. Punters, on average, have gotten much better at ball placement and coaches are more intelligent on when to punt. In the modern game, possession is generally prioritized over field position.

There are teams that just don't see the value in practicing special teams and are content with just gaining possession and getting on with it.

On 12/8/2023 at 2:43 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, Ganz with the 2009 defense would have been the game-changer. 

Zac Lee was groomed to be the next Ganz, an NFL arm running a more efficient college offense, rushing just enough when needed. He was reportedly great in practice, not so much at game time.

He looked good when he was healthy. Unfortunately, he tore his throwing elbow in week 3 (I think) and had to hobble through the rest of the season and did it quietly and with dignity and class.

5 minutes ago, presidentjlh said:

One thing that can be said for every Husker QB in the past decade or so is that, regardless of circumstances, each guy was a warrior. I frankly feel terrible how things went for Adrian in particular. He absolutely laid it on the line every single play.

Hell this goes even for Sims. Never saw him complain or lash out. I may think him not a good QB, but he deserves admiration for that.