QB Dylan Raiola to Sign with Nebraska!

87skers

If Purdy stays, my money is on Purdy to be starter game 1, unless DR just tears it up in Spring/Summer.  DR could be solid #2 to begin year.  Correct on the schedule. We basically need to start fast in the early portion if a bowl game is possible. No time for "growing pains".   Frazier didn't begin freshman year as a starter....it was mid season.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I think having a freshman QB as a starter means another year of no bowling. We need a fast start with how bad the final 5 weeks of the schedule are.  Hopefully, Raiola doesn't transfer after a year or two and another team gets the most benefit.

I think you’re wrong. With even mediocre QB play this year and most of our offensive weapons not going down we would be bowling. One would think that the #1 QB recruit could at least be mediocre.. even as a freshman. As well as our oline, wrs etc continuing to make strides. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
10 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think the big difference with Raiola as a star QB and those guys though is how he might help land other skill players on offense.

The QB in the modern game is obviously super important, but the threshold of what that QB needs to be is way lower in college football than in the pro game if you have all of the other pieces.

In Nebraska's situation where you don't have stacked 5 stars everywhere then nothing will progress your team faster than a bonafide star QB. It's not just going to make the offense so much better, but it will make this defense, which is already pretty good and will return a boatload of talent, that much better because you can play more aggressive. When you know your offense won't score and therefore any big play you give up might be the game and you have to hold them to field goals and manage short fields and those things you have to call a game differently. When you get up a few scores though, which Nebraska hasn't been able to do in quite some time, you can take so many more chances.

To me, the recruiting doesn't come as much from signing a guy like this, it comes from the wins a guy like this can help generate. Nebraska has the fanbase, the facilities, the conference....everything they need except for the wins.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I think having a freshman QB as a starter means another year of no bowling.

Would we be better off having a top talent transfer in for a year so you didn't have to start a frosh? Yeah. It's a tough ask for any frosh to start Game 1 and when they do you have to accept those growing pains.

Is is the difference between going bowling or not? Absolutely not. The bar to go bowling isn't very high.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I think having a freshman QB as a starter means another year of no bowling. We need a fast start with how bad the final 5 weeks of the schedule are.  Hopefully, Raiola doesn't transfer after a year or two and another team gets the most benefit.

As much as I agree with you and echoed that in the post right after yours, I will add that only 3 of the last 5 weeks are daunting. Wisconsin and Iowa are including in those and they are two teams that very beatable and where this year.

10 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

You don’t think a freshman DR would be an instant upgrade to our most glaringly deficient position on the field? Raiola is a ready to go Dude. Likely would’ve won 3-4+ more games with him this year.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You don’t think a freshman DR would be an instant upgrade to our most glaringly deficient position on the field? Raiola is a ready to go Dude. Likely would’ve won 3-4+ more games with him this year.

Agree.  His TD/Interception ratio is sooooooo much better than our guys were.  He'll have to adjust to the speed of the college game but he played against some top shelf talent wherever he played in HS so it isn't like he is coming from 8 man football. He already has the body for college ball and he has been working wt a top notch QB coach who will have him ready.  

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

And you don't think that with Raiola's ability and him being the number 1 high school qb that he isn't betting on himself to be successful?? This is the whole reason why he is coming here bc he believes in himself and wasn't going to sit at Georgia or any other school.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

This would be the biggest recruiting win in Husker history.  #1 ranked QB and top overall recruit depending on the service you look at.

Suh became a beast here but as a recruit, he didnt have the hype like this.

Marlon lucky probably most applicable in the 00's.

You might be right on Sims.  Couldn't we still had this outcome and not turn the ball over a bajillion times tho? surely a middle ground could have been had :)

Getting Turner Gill away from OU.

• Plus1 4
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Dylan Raiola to Sign with Nebraska!