Is Nebraska a "blue blood" program?

12 hours ago, BIG8forever said:

bro i am a cornhusker fan, just trying to get this toxic notion that we are blue bloods out of our heads or we are never going to have a decent team

The only thing that gives NU a chance at having a decent team again is the fact that the Huskers are a blue blood program.

What u smokin!?!?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

Not exactly germane to the conversation, but I do find this interesting.

Not sure which standard is used for "National Championship" but Florida in 1996 was the last time a school won their first National Championship.

That's nearly 30 years ago now...

20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nebraska is a blue blood program that has fallen on hard times.

That's what everyone thinks, because it's true. 

Which nobody is disputing and is not even close to what the OP has been saying. Just to be clear.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Which nobody is disputing and is not even close to what the OP has been saying. Just to be clear.

I was responding to the previous post about what the rest of the world thinks about Nebraska.

I guess the question is a combination of whether you have to be a blue blood to compete, and whether being 10-20 years removed from relevance means you are no longer a blue blood. I think for the moment Nebraska enjoys some blue blood advantages -- facilities, fanbase, donors -- that many P5 programs still lack. 

You can look at it as a chasm, or consider how often a single coach and/or quarterback can turn things around almost overnight. 

Ongoing dominance? LIke Nebraska from 1962 - 2001?  That's not likely to happen for anyone anymore. Could Nebraska get good enough to become one of the 12 teams to make the playoffs? Or one of the 13 different teams to win a natty in the last 25 years? Why the f#&% not? 

Or just think of us as Michigan, which logged 7 largely unhappy seasons under Rich Rod and Brady Hoke from 2008 - 2014 -- when they were mostly looking up at Nebraska. They didn't drop out of the blue bloods. They just needed a new coach. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
22 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was responding to the previous post about what the rest of the world thinks about Nebraska.

I guess the question is a combination of whether you have to be a blue blood to compete, and whether being 10-20 years removed from relevance means you are no longer a blue blood. I think for the moment Nebraska enjoys some blue blood advantages -- facilities, fanbase, donors -- that many P5 programs still lack. 

You can look at it as a chasm, or consider how often a single coach and/or quarterback can turn things around almost overnight. 

Ongoing dominance? LIke Nebraska from 1962 - 2001?  That's not likely to happen for anyone anymore. Could Nebraska get good enough to become one of the 12 teams to make the playoffs? Or one of the 13 different teams to win a natty in the last 25 years? Why the f#&% not? 

Or just think of us as Michigan, which logged 7 largely unhappy seasons under Rich Rod and Brady Hoke from 2008 - 2014 -- when they were mostly looking up at Nebraska. They didn't drop out of the blue bloods. They just needed a new coach. 

I couldn’t agree more.

But it has become apparent that Mr. O.P. Troll wasn’t really interested in an actual honest discussion of this topic.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2

hot damn, this thread is still going?  I guess I'll add on to it.

To me a Blue Blood entails the following:

-Extended run of dominance/contention

-Titles across multiple runs/decades/iterations

-Legendary players

-Legendary Coaches

-Loyal/consistent fanbase

-A place where if all things came together, you can absolutely win and win big.

Where do we register on this?

-Extended Run? Already covered in this thread.  Even though the last 7 years have been the lowest of the program, the run from 70-2014 very few programs can match.  None of them matched in terms of wins in that time period.  

-Titles across multiple decades: Check

Legendary Players?: Heismans, AA's, we literally have college football position group awards named after Nebraska players

Legendary Coaches: Tom Osborne is considered one of the greatest to ever do it- and this is widely acknowledged across CFB, not just husker nation.  You can make the argument he'd be on the mt. rushmore of CFB coaches

Loyal Fanbase: What other progrum would have the intensity/following after 7 years of humiliation?  

Can you win?: You most certainly can win at Nebraska.  While the past 2 coaches have been subpar- we really haven't been that far off.  We just haven't put together a team that has both the offense and defense humming at the same time.  If taylor martinez was 1 year older we might've won it all in 09 given the defense and Suh.  

I can easily poke holes in other progrums qualification as Blue blood....

Texas is considered one- yet we have more titles and have seen greater highs more consistently than they ever have.  If it wasnt for the heroics of vince young, they'd still be leaning on their titles from 50-70 years ago.

Miami- No fan base, but absolutely a place with history, famous teams, coaches and the right coach can win there.

Michigan- Theyre the logo, great players, fan base etc.  If it wasnt for their bs split title in 97 you'd have to go all the way back to the 40's and pre WW2 to find them at the top (depending on how tonight goes)

This thread is dumb, I'm dumb for continuing it.  Go DAWGS tonight but more importantly our march back to the top begins the SECOND this game ends tonight.  2024 is here boys and girls, lets buckle up cause we backkkkkkk