Saban Retiring

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Interesting, did they not have a guy lined up?

LOL....Lanning was literally on the plane headed there the same day Saban announced he's retiring.  I'm pretty sure they knew who they wanted and probably already had reached out to him to gauge interest.

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

LOL....Lanning was literally on the plane headed there the same day Saban announced he's retiring.  I'm pretty sure they knew who they wanted and probably already had reached out to him to gauge interest.

That is what I thought too.

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Alabama is in for a down era I think. SEC will have more competition, and without Saban the Tide just don't strike the fear in opponents. LSU, Ole Miss, Texas and Oklahoma will look to fill the void left by Saban. 

If I'm a bama fan Im not feeling great right now.  Still an attractive job but even top candidates have to be a little wary of following in the footsteps of the greatest the sport has ever scene... Literally nearly impossible expectations are waiting for them.

The slide at bama already started.  NIL+Transfer portal + the impossible task saban had of having a revolving door of assistant coaches being poached and going elsewhere.  Its a testament to his legacy as to how he was able to sustain that success at that level for so long.  All that said, the bama of the past couple of years did not look to be the same bama both on paper and the eye test that we saw steam roll CFB in the 2010's.

54 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think this has already been debunked right?  Quite a few confirmations yesterday dan lanning was seen in Eugene at a movie theatre with his wife lol.... college football hysteria at its finest... remember when we all thought the Sweater was gonna be our coach in 2014?  good times good times

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I think this has already been debunked right?  Quite a few confirmations yesterday dan lanning was seen in Eugene at a movie theatre with his wife lol.... college football hysteria at its finest... remember when we all thought the Sweater was gonna be our coach in 2014?  good times good times

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

smart move.  wait 4 years until the next guy is fired for not winning enough.  

I've thought about this.  It's extremely difficult to follow a legend in a situation like this.  Whomever it is, isn't going to live up to the expectations.  It's best to be the 2nd or 3rd guy hired after the legend retires.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've thought about this.  It's extremely difficult to follow a legend in a situation like this.  Whomever it is, isn't going to live up to the expectations.  It's best to be the 2nd or 3rd guy hired after the legend retires.

Or the 6th guy like Nebraska…

• Haha 1