Huskers Hire Glenn Thomas as Co-Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach

7 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

Anyway we have Dylan Raiola now and I am excited to see how he develops under a legit QB coach.

Yes we do and TBH it won't make that big of difference with Raiola.  But with other QBs, most definitely.  

8 hours ago, Toe said:

:facepalm: Make up your mind, did we have a good deep threat WR last year or not?

Ah.  Damn.  You got me.

A guy with 6 catches for 237 yards on the year is exactly the same kind of receiving threat as a guy with 71 catches for 1,043 yards.

12 hours ago, Undone said:

But Sims was fumbling snaps and turned the wrong way multiple times on running back hand off plays. His play was atrocious even just outside of stats when he suited up for the Huskers.

After seeing all three qb's turn the wrong way on handoffs and fakes, I don't think it was entirely just the qb.

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, Mavric said:

Ah.  Damn.  You got me.

A guy with 6 catches for 237 yards on the year is exactly the same kind of receiving threat as a guy with 71 catches for 1,043 yards.

Huh, guess that stat you threw out about having a WR leading in 50+ yard TDs wasn't particularly relevant to the discussion about our QBs after all, then.

• TBH 2
1 hour ago, Toe said:

Huh, guess that stat you threw out about having a WR leading in 50+ yard TDs wasn't particularly relevant to the discussion about our QBs after all, then.

At this point we might want to accept that stats offer conclusive proof of pretty much nothing. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

On 1/17/2024 at 1:04 PM, Huskerfollower4life said:

I only said struggles bc when he was at SC fans weren't happy with his play calling.  Now I know we were very limited with what he could call last season but now that we have people in place we should be a lot better baring any injuries to the offense. Yes it will take time to gel but please don't call a play to throw a pass on third and short just run the damn ball.

Every football team I've ever watched has at some point, thrown the ball on 3rd and short. Like it or not, throwing on 3rd down, even 3rd and short, is a thing.

A team can screw up on 3rd and short when running or passing the ball. Crap happens sometimes.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 3
On 1/19/2024 at 1:00 PM, Archy1221 said:

If memory serves correct, Casey had surgery for SLAP tear which means the training staff would have known he would be ready for fall camp.   Similar to Herbert and the Chargers who had same surgery. 

SLAP tears suck, I know, I had one and my shoulder has never been the same since.

1 hour ago, LennynSquiggy said:

Every football team I've ever watched has at some point, thrown the ball on 3rd and short. Like it or not, throwing on 3rd down, even 3rd and short, is a thing.

A team can screw up on 3rd and short when running or passing the ball. Crap happens sometimes.

True but we all have seen what happened during the Superbowl with the Seahawks and Patriots where they didn't hand off the ball to Marshawn Lynch.  Im just saying that Nebraska coaches have tended to over think things in key situations.  It's like yesterday we all know the Bills should have punted the ball on 4th and 5 in their own territory but they decided to fake it and that almost put them down by 10.  If Hardman didn't reach for the end zone to try to score they would have scored on the next play or so.  I understand your trying to take the ball out of Mahomes hands but that was a dumb decision.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

True but we all have seen what happened during the Superbowl with the Seahawks and Patriots where they didn't hand off the ball to Marshawn Lynch.

What's to say that handing the ball off to the running back would have given different results? Nothing.

It's like yesterday we all know the Bills should have punted the ball on 4th and 5 in their own territory but they decided to fake it and that almost put them down by 10.

Why should they have punted? They were trying to win and sometimes during that process you take calculated risks, sometimes those risks pan out and sometimes they don't.

If Hardman didn't reach for the end zone to try to score they would have scored on the next play or so.  I understand your trying to take the ball out of Mahomes hands but that was a dumb decision.

I'll never fault someone for the kind of effort Hardman put forth regardless of the outcome of said effort.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 3

3 hours ago, LennynSquiggy said:
13 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I'll never fault someone for the kind of effort Hardman put forth regardless of the outcome of said effort

No offense to you whatsoever, but that was literally the worst thing Mecole could have done.   It was first and goal.  Get tackled at the 1, and allow Mahomes and Co to have a couple more chances at the end zone.   

The only time someone should reach like that while getting tackled in traffic is fourth down or with little/no time left.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
On 1/23/2024 at 9:55 AM, LennynSquiggy said:

What's to say that handing the ball off to the running back would have given different results? Nothing.

Why should they have punted? They were trying to win and sometimes during that process you take calculated risks, sometimes those risks pan out and sometimes they don't.

I'll never fault someone for the kind of effort Hardman put forth regardless of the outcome of said effort.

You and I know you give the best player on your team the chance to win the game.  Lynch was robbed of that opportunity.  Yes the defense could have stopped him but there wouldn't be any second guessing.  You don't try and give the other team who was clearly clicking on offense at the time the opportunity to put more points on to you a short field to work with.  You let them earn the right to beat you not giving them more chances to pull away from you.  If the Chiefs would have scored on the play the Bills would have been down by 10 with little time let.  Yes Josh Allen is a stud of a qb but clearly the Chiefs defense showed up and came up big for them.  When Scott Frost was the coach and went for the fake punt against Northwestern and got stopped nobody patted him on the back and said nice try.  Everyone questioned his judgement of the play call and his lack of judgement on critical times of being a head coach here got him losses which ultimately cost him.

• Haha 3

When Scott Frost was the coach and went for the fake punt against Northwestern and got stopped nobody patted him on the back and said nice try.  Everyone questioned his judgement of the play call and his lack of judgement on critical times of being a head coach here got him fired and that added to him losing as well.

Keen-eyed fans noticed it was an onside kick, not a fake punt, coming after a touchdown that had given Nebraska momentum. 

I'm not sure getting fired added to Scott Frost losing. Probably the other way around. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
  • Worth a Look 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Keen-eyed fans noticed it was an onside kick, not a fake punt, coming after a touchdown that had given Nebraska momentum. 

I'm not sure getting fired added to Scott Frost losing. Probably the other way around. 

Oops lol.  Yeah you get the my point with making stupid decisions during key parts within the game and I should have said that bc of his lack of judgement contributed to the losses which ultimately got him fired.  But you said it perfectly thank you.

On 1/23/2024 at 9:55 AM, LennynSquiggy said:

You're claiming it was a calculated risk. That's probably the main argument.