Nebrasketball @ Illinois

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

NU also shot lights out from 3 and the FT line.

Did an amazing job battling back from down 10 with 3:27 left.

That first few minutes after half was a killer.  They did battle back.  But, if we come out and play even with them after half, we win....probably.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That first few minutes after half was a killer.  They did battle back.  But, if we come out and play even with them after half, we win....probably.

Yeah, When Illinois came out and took like a 7 point lead, that is when things really started to change.

In the end, you had two teams without a true PG doing all they could to win that game.

Mast is an interesting match up because he can/does shoot the 3 well, or he did yesterday, I don't know if he always does.

• Plus1 1

NU is better than I thought.

I would be mad today (and last night) if I was a big NU BB fan.

But man, if they get in and I think they do, they will be a tough match up.  They are old, experienced, Kesi can go off.  

Just win at home, maybe snag 1 road win and 1 in the BTT and you are probably, at worst, looking at a 9 seed.  

They won't play PU in the second round.  Which leaves Houston, UConn, maybe Tenn or KU, all teams with flaws.  

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I disagree, and others do too.

The shooter drives and tries to jump back to his left to counter-act his momentum taking him to his right.  Wilcher's chest runs into his shoulder which pushes him back to he right.  That's about as easy of a call as it gets.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The shooter drives and tries to jump back to his left to counter-act his momentum taking him to his right.  Wilcher's chest runs into his shoulder which pushes him back to he right.  That's about as easy of a call as it gets.

I remember seeing this play live and wondered where the foul was. Upon replay from another angle Wilcher closed out quickly and bumped into the shooter.. It was a good call. Likewise the play with Mast at the end of overtime should have been called with Mast shooting three free throws. The Illinois defender made contact with Mast's arms causing the ball to pop free.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

10 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

And the - 17 on the boards had no part of the outcome.  There were miss calls, but if we stop penatration & rebound we win this easy.

No, you're right about that, but there's an obvious home court bias in the Big, including at the Pinochle. Slapped hands at crucial times are only called one way.

• Plus1 1

Mast getting fouled at the end was not the only time Illinois "stripped" the ball and no foul was called.  Virtually every time they drove and the ball was stripped there was a lot of arm & a little ball (especially in the first half), but on the other end it was always called.

The other thing that annoys me is that every time Keisei comes off a screen the defender is grabbing his jersey and it gets called maybe once per game.  If they truly want to have freedom of movement, then that needs to be called every time.  Tominaga would shoot 20 free throws a game and the other team would be in foul trouble five minutes into the game.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There are a lot worse bumps on drives throughout games that don't get called.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Mast getting fouled at the end was not the only time Illinois "stripped" the ball and no foul was called.  Virtually every time they drove and the ball was stripped there was a lot of arm & a little ball (especially in the first half), but on the other end it was always called.

The other thing that annoys me is that every time Keisei comes off a screen the defender is grabbing his jersey and it gets called maybe once per game.  If they truly want to have freedom of movement, then that needs to be called every time.  Tominaga would shoot 20 free throws a game and the other team would be in foul trouble five minutes into the game.

That is one reason Big Ten teams don't do well in the NCAA Tourney most years. They get officials who have a vested interest in calling a fair contest if they want to keep working and Big Ten teams get into foul trouble 10 minutes into the first half.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Could be.  But contact does not equal a foul.

People are insisting Mast got fouled and Wilher didn't.  Commonality between those two is people want both calls to go Nebraska's way.  If both situations were reversed, Husker fans would probably be arguing the other side of both calls.

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Could be.  But contact does not equal a foul.

People are insisting Mast got fouled and Wilher didn't.  Commonality between those two is people want both calls to go Nebraska's way.  If both situations were reversed, Husker fans would probably be arguing the other side of both calls.

I think people are just looking for consistency.  

• TBH 2
10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Think the play in OT where we're down or up 1 and Shannon is on Mast where Mast post him up and then misses his hook/layup is similar to the Wilcher foul, but it wasn't called and there was no replay for a better look.

The team should have played better coming out of half and done better rebounding, but it's hard to look at that when there are a number of examples where the refs were calling different games on each ends of the court.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1