Trev to A&M

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This should also put to bed Nebraska's obsession with hiring former players for any position in the athletic department.  Frost was an epic disaster as a head coach.  Trev bails for a bigger paycheck before the job is done (FB returning to upper tier B1G, stadium project).

If he leaves, I'd be surprised if it were just for more money.  Seems like he had it pretty good here and doesn't seem the impulsive type.

22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Rumor is he was going to retire to South Carolina, to be closer to his daughters (I know someone who taught them)

So maybe this deal came along and it was just so much cash he had to take it.

That is the only thing that makes sense. Big cash grab prior to retiring.

13 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

keeping my head in the sand.. and now wondering, even if he isn't leaving/decides to stay, surely this will not result in tarnishing his image within Husker Nation will/would it?

I'll always appreciate Trev and what he did here....no matter if he stays or goes.  He was exactly what we needed at the time and he has done well.  But, it's really going to suck if we lose him.

• TBH 1

34 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I disagree that losing Trev would be a major loss. As we saw over the past 20+ years, getting the AD position right is vital to success. 

As for A&M being a worse job than Nebraska? Maybe, but it's a totally different dynamic and a whole lot more money. 

A&M is a worse job because of external expectations and booster ego's that compete to run the place. They have very little success in sports because they have 20 mega boosters pulling Athletics in 20 different directions. There's a reason they've never won anything before, it's a pressure cooker without a leader. 

It does pay more than Nebraska and boosters with more money. But he's going to inevitably be fired because TAMU inevitably fires all their ADs.

30 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Disagree.  We have firsthand experience with what terrible ADs can do to athletic programs.  Trev finally has had everyone rowing in the right direction.

As far as replacements, we have no one person in place to hire the new AD.  No one is going to want to come here without knowing who their boss is.

Trev has some good things going, but it's also important to look at his leadership objectively.

Trev was hoping to upgrade the stadium - a $450 million dollar project literally everybody knows is significantly less than the actual final cost - by getting $200 million in private donations. 

This was and still is a terrible idea. Both because it's dishonest to pitch a knowingly underfunded project to the public, but also asking for private donations for anything that isn't NIL collectives is a catastrophe. Donors have a finite amount of money, and every dollar donation that isn't NIL related is a waste.

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

That is the only thing that makes sense. Big cash grab prior to retiring.

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

If he leaves, I'd be surprised if it were just for more money.  Seems like he had it pretty good here and doesn't seem the impulsive type.

I'm almost fully convinced that, if this is actually happening, it's political in nature. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

Just now, gobiggergoredder said:

He’s gotta be 70 right?

73. Let him do it for a year or two until someone more permanent can be found. 

For reference sake: TO was 70 when he was hired as AD in 2007.

• Mavric changed the title to Trev to A&M