Facility Funding Discussion

15 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

He really needs to read Huskerboard.  If he’s serious about winning he needs to understand we have to ditch adidas and change the music that plays in the stadium.

I mean, continuing to play "Glory Days" before every game is a jinx if I've ever seen one. So, sarcasm....or truth with the music???:dunno

Update new plan .... scrap upper deck ;).  Kinda like OU south expansion

pOxo8qA.png

"Why are folks so gung ho on not reducing our seating capacity? We can’t even fill the seats we have. I would rather see us lose 8,000-10,000 seats but have it be a better overall experience for those attending" (borrowed HMax member)

Ronald Reagan Dannen told Gorbachev Kabourek 'Tear down this wall upper deck!' :D 

hm8PGGE.png

87th post ......

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, Hooked on Huskers said:
Whorns end zone proposed stadium. $175M cost ...... vs. Trev's plan, $450M :o

NU suggestion: Keeping Up with the Kardashians P4 teams image.gif.9a4a42c8bab105fa3ef487083701a4d6.gif;)

dkrsouthendzoneweb*1200xx1128-635-0-0.jpg

Done ....
Ann-Photo-2-PS.jpg

before expansion .... about 2 years ago
TexasStadium_JennaVonHofe.jpg

87th post .....

This is what a lot of people have had an issue with, myself included.  It's possible to do a pretty nice upgrade without spending a HALF A BILLION dollars.  What is it with that price tag?

9 hours ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Update new plan .... scrap upper deck ;).  Kinda like OU south expansion

pOxo8qA.png

"Why are folks so gung ho on not reducing our seating capacity? We can’t even fill the seats we have. I would rather see us lose 8,000-10,000 seats but have it be a better overall experience for those attending"

87th post ......

I actually really like this concept! Well done! :thumbs

As someone who used to have tickets in South Stadium for many many years and has since moved to East Stadium they HAVE TO do something with South Stadium. Doing nothing is not an option. The further Nebraska waits to upgrade this section of the stadium the more it will continue to fall behind the times in terms of amenities, fan comfort, and safety regulations. Also the longer they wait to do something the more of the cost for materials will continue to increase.

The project needs to:

• Connect the concourses of South Stadium with East & West.
  • Improve fan amenities and comfort with seatbacks and easier access to restrooms and concessions.
  • Improve the handicap accessible areas to comply with current safety regulations.
  • Slightly reduce overall seating capacity.

Specifically with the above concept I would love to see:

1. Students and band moved to the lower section of the bowl to give them their own area.
  2. Maybe raise the upper section to where the top is about halfway up the height of the big screen.

While Trev's original concept should be praised and get credit for its ambition, the truth is it was simply too big and too expensive. The upper deck in Trev's concept looked more like Arrowhead Stadium. I think by shrinking the design to something similar as the picture above strikes a good balance in reducing the cost of the project while also still addressing a major need.

At the end of the day Nebraska MUST do something with South Stadium. They can't wait...but they can scale back the overall design.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, soup said:

This is what a lot of people have had an issue with, myself included.  It's possible to do a pretty nice upgrade without spending a HALF A BILLION dollars.  What is it with that price tag?

Part of it is that they have an entire massive structure to first completely demolish and then rebuild from the bedrock up, but it's not just a grandstand. They also have to remake the computer science center or whatever the hell is living inside of south stadium right now. If you look at Darrel K. Royal as a comparison, there was hardly anything in the way to start with, and for all we know they were able to use the existing foundation which we can't.

Another element is the capacity equation. There are about 23,000 seats in south stadium. Let's say we did Texas' endzone the exact same to save on costs. That's roughly the first two sections of our proposed four tiered plan. The current plans are for the new south stadium to have ~15,000 seats. Just guessing based off my eyes but at least 10,000+ of those are the top two sections. So we'd be looking at a total capacity of about 65,000 and several thousand severely pissed off season ticket holders/donors.

Our stadium is old old old, we've got massive amounts of season ticket holders, we need to modernize which takes up more space, and the AD wants to make as much money as possible. That's a really tricky equation that won't be cheap no matter what imo, although I am sure there are pivots and alternatives to specifically what Trev had planned that could and would make sense.

Edit: Also, yeah, inflation.

3 hours ago, The Duke said:

As someone who used to have tickets in South Stadium for many many years and has since moved to East Stadium they HAVE TO do something with South Stadium. Doing nothing is not an option. The further Nebraska waits to upgrade this section of the stadium the more it will continue to fall behind the times in terms of amenities, fan comfort, and safety regulations. Also the longer they wait to do something the more of the cost for materials will continue to increase.

The project needs to:

• Improve fan amenities and comfort with seatbacks and easier access to restrooms and concessions.
  • Improve the handicap accessible areas to comply with current safety regulations.

1. Students and band moved to the lower section of the bowl to give them their own area.
  2. Maybe raise the upper section to where the top is about halfway up the height of the big screen.

While Trev's original concept should be praised and get credit for its ambition, the truth is it was simply too big and too expensive. The upper deck in Trev's concept looked more like Arrowhead Stadium. I think by shrinking the design to something similar as the picture above strikes a good balance in reducing the cost of the project while also still addressing a major need.

At the end of the day Nebraska MUST do something with South Stadium. They can't wait...but they can scale back the overall design.

A couple things to think about IMO.  The version from Trev already reduced the capacity 7k (some due to chairbacks in the rest of the stadium I'm sure).  So scaling it back to what hooked posted likely takes another 10k off here I would guess,

The other thing to note is that 450 had a lot of other improvements outside south stadium.  I say do south stadium and then take care of all that other stuff a little farther down the line.

As for the Longwhorns, much different project scope and some years ago.  Things aren't what they used to be cost wise.  that 150 million yesterday is probably 225 or more today.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Part of it is that they have an entire massive structure to first completely demolish and then rebuild from the bedrock up, but it's not just a grandstand. They also have to remake the computer science center or whatever the hell is living inside of south stadium right now. If you look at Darrel K. Royal as a comparison, there was hardly anything in the way to start with, and for all we know they were able to use the existing foundation which we can't.

Another element is the capacity equation. There are about 23,000 seats in south stadium. Let's say we did Texas' endzone the exact same to save on costs. That's roughly the first two sections of our proposed four tiered plan. The current plans are for the new south stadium to have ~15,000 seats. Just guessing based off my eyes but at least 10,000+ of those are the top two sections. So we'd be looking at a total capacity of about 65,000 and several thousand severely pissed off season ticket holders/donors.

Our stadium is old old old, we've got massive amounts of season ticket holders, we need to modernize which takes up more space, and the AD wants to make as much money as possible. That's a really tricky equation that won't be cheap no matter what imo, although I am sure there are pivots and alternatives to specifically what Trev had planned that could and would make sense.

Edit: Also, yeah, inflation.

That's what worries me.  Please please please don't just put lipstick and rouge on the south stands.  I really wish they would have just bitten the bullet before north stadium expansion and demo'd the stadium and built anew on that site.  I know that would have meant some massive inconvenience for a few years but they could have built something very nice for 500 and we wouldn't have this mess.  As it is now, I'd like to see them complete the south as envisioned, then about 10 years down the road tear out the risers on the upper and lower decks in east and west (not at the same time of course) and rebuild them, you could make it all essentially one level and redo everything underneath.  By doing this you get the fans in row 1 a bit closer to the sideline and higher up, and you get rid of those god awful obstructed view seats under the upper deck.  Essentially the original stadium would be the columns and exterior facade.   

• Plus1 2
17 hours ago, The Duke said:

The project needs to:

I agree. Something needs to be done.  Probably what everyone is alluding to.  But, under the stadium needs to be enclosed.  On cold days, that area is just miserable going to and from the seats with the long ramps open to the elements. Then you can build all new concessions and bathrooms.

However, I vote for just moving the old troughs into the new bathrooms for nestalgia reasons.