CB Gabe Lynn

Notes form Dallas Nike Camp

Stock Down

NFTC: S Gabe Lynn (Jenks, Okla.)

We have questioned whether Lynn could remain at cornerback in college, and after seeing him this past weekend we are now convinced he will have to move to safety unless he is in a heavy Cover 2 scheme or in press. In Lynn's defense, he has been nursing a hamstring injury, but still he does not show the hip fluidity and quick-twitch athleticism to remain on the perimeter. He plays high and lacks short-area quickness and recovery speed if caught out of position. His size and strength are both very good and he can be a physical presence, but his cover skills against top-level competition are not what they need to be for a collegiate corner.

We have questioned whether Lynn could remain at cornerback in college, and after seeing him this past weekend we are now convinced he will have to move to safety unless he is in a heavy Cover 2 scheme or in press.

I'm somewhat surprised I do not know this off the top of my head, but is Bo's D a Tampa 2 or something else?

(My guess at Tampa 2 is because Craig Steltz, S for LSU, said he's had an easy time with the Bears since they run the same D and Chicago is a Tampa 2 team.)

Is Bo's D ideally suited for I guy like him?

• 2 weeks later...

Arkansas has offered...

Not looking good - I think we've lost this one...

RECRUITING: Arkansas assistant has an impact in Tulsa

By Otis Kirk

Originally published 04:21 a.m., June 1, 2008

Updated 04:28 a.m., June 1, 2008

FAYETTEVILLE When Arkansas Coach Bobby Petrino hired Garrick McGee from Northwestern University, it became clear the Razorbacks would be a player when it came to recruiting Oklahoma.

McGee played his high school football in Tulsa at Booker T. Washington High School, where his father was the longtime coach. McGee reportedly has extended several offers in the Tulsa area, with the latest going to Broken Arrow offensive guard Alvin Bailey, 6-4, 300 pounds, 5.3 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

***SNIP***

Among the other Tulsa-area players being sought by McGee and the Razorbacks are Jenks cornerback Gabe Lynn, 6-1, 180, 4.47; Owasso offensive guard Brandon Webb, 6-4, 290, 5.3; Tulsa East Central cornerback David Gordon, 6-0, 170, 4.4, and Tulsa Edison athlete Terrell Williams, 6-3, 215, 4.63.

Lynn is rated as a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, which also rates him the No. 25 player in the nation. Lynn has offers from schools all over the nation, including Oklahoma, Southern Cal, Nebraska, Michigan, Tennessee and many others in addition to the Razorbacks.

Lynn has developed a good relationship with Helena-West Helena Central cornerback Darius Winston, 6-1, 180, 4.34, who has committed to Arkansas.

"I have over 30 offers now," Lynn said. "I don't have a favorite. I hope to make my decision before my senior season."

"Darius and I talk about how it would be to play on opposite sides [of the Arkansas secondary]. Darius has been talking up Arkansas."

Lynn plans to attend the Bobby Petrino Camp that begins one week from today. Lynn said Arkansas' coaches have told him he doesn't have to participate in the camp, but he might do so anyway.

***SNIP***

My instinct tells me he is going to 1) Wait to see how NU's defense does this year and 2) Get input from his brother. If both of these are positive, then I think we will be in his final 3. I think Stoops could pressure him to commit to OU early...USC is interesting but don't get sense he is a must have for the Trojans. If our defense shows significant improvement, ranks high, and draws interest and excitement, then we are going to start seeing some top defensive recruits come in no doubt IMO. Bo has proven himself too much on defense that we will draw studs on D side of the ball...just a matter of how soon.

:bonez

From today's edition of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette...

TOP CORNERBACK VISITS UA

One of the nation’s top cornerbacks made an unofficial visit Monday to check out theRazorbacks.

Gabe Lynn, 6-0, 180, 4.47, of Tulsa Jenks didn’t work out at the camp but took a tour of the campus with his father.

“I got to see the facilities. It was a pretty good trip,” said Lynn, who has more than 40 offers, including one from the Hogs. “I like the weight room and how it’s 100 yards long, and the stadium was real nice. I heard that they play two games in Little Rock and play the other games in the new stadium. That’s pretty awesome.”

Razorbacks strength and conditioning coach Jason Veltkamp impressed Lynn and his father.

“We liked his philosophy,” Lynn said. “He seems like one of the best coaches I’ve met as far as weight and conditioning from all of the universities.”

Lynn previously visited Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Nebraska.

“Arkansas is a great school, and they have great coaches,” said Lynn, who had 52 tackles and five interceptions last year. “I kind of put them in with Oklahoma because their programs are already at the top and they have the players to win a national championship. I kind of compare Arkansas to Nebraska because it’s the only major university in Arkansas. All of the money goes into that one school.”

Arkansas secondary coach Lorenz Ward also impressed the Lynns

Arkansas quarterbacks coach Garrick McGee, who starred at Booker T. Washington High School in Tulsa, is in charge of recruiting Oklahoma, and Lynn is very aware of McGee’s roots.

“He knows a lot about what’s going on down here,” Lynn said. “He’s real popular down here. It’s nice talking to someone from Tulsa.”

Lynn said he plans to visit LSU on July 21 but doubts he’ll attend Arkansas’ senior camp July 19. He hopes to make his college choice before his season starts.

Here is an update on Gabe Lynn from Huskerjournal.com

Gabe has offers from LSU, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado, Miami, USC, Arkansas, North Carolina and others.

“Nebraska’s camp was good. I met Bo Pelini and Marvin Sanders.” said Lynn, “They told me I could play early. Nebraska is losing two corners next year and they need someone to come in and play.”

“Nebraska’s camp was good I got coached up by Coach Sanders that was the main reason why I went. The competition was not all that great. Coach Sanders is a real good coach he’s a lot of fun to be around. He gets you hyped up to play.” he said

“I was in Coach Sanders room watching film and he showed me some techniques. We looked at some press coverage’s we don’t use them in high school though. I learned a lot from him.” said Lynn

“Now that I met Coach Sanders I have developed a stronger relationship with him and will call him more.”

“I like Coach Pelini he uses a lot of different schemes. His defenses run a lot of corner blitzes.” he said.

“Coach Pelini has already turned it around at Nebraska. Everybody looks looser and faster, before the players looked big and stiff.”

“Nebraska’s facilities are one of the best. Arkansas has great facilities too. I like Nebraska it’s a college town it’s all about football. I don’t have any favorites Nebraska is up there."

"I’m not sure when I will commit. My Brother Phillip Dillard said Nebraska has a good staff and he likes them a lot. ” said Lynn

“Coach John Blake (North Carolina) has been recruiting me since I was a freshman. He recruited my brother Phillip Dillard (Nebraska).” he said

“I’ve been down to North Carolina before. They players seem to be close. North Carolina coaches they need two corners also.” said Lynn

“North Carolina’s campus is beautiful, Chapel Hill is real nice. I saw a North Carolina basketball game last year when they played Maryland.” he said

“I call and e-mail Coach Henson (LSU). Coach Henson is from Oklahoma. LSU is a great school they win and won the National Championship last year. Their (LSU) team plays with an attitude.”

“Distance is not a factor the SEC would be nice.”