Tennessee Sucks... who can we steal???

Well, nothing wrong with Lane taking the opportunity he did. He was a USC guy, got the Tenn job, and who could have predicted this job to open up so soon?

He'd be a fool to let that window close, if this was indeed his dream job.

It sucks for the recruits - but what can you do. Such is the oft chaotic landscape of college coaching. Sucks most for Tenn fans right now.

I see your point if Lane is viewing this from a completely selfish perspective, which it appears his is. But I do think there's something to be said for honoring a commitment (at least a little bit) and having a sense of obligation to the kids and parents of those kids who you just recruited. Everything Lane has shown us points to the conclusion that he is an immature and narcissistic person. And it's especially sad that a guy like that resonates so well with high school athletes today.

Well, nothing wrong with Lane taking the opportunity he did. He was a USC guy, got the Tenn job, and who could have predicted this job to open up so soon?

He'd be a fool to let that window close, if this was indeed his dream job.

It sucks for the recruits - but what can you do. Such is the oft chaotic landscape of college coaching. Sucks most for Tenn fans right now.

I see your point if Lane is viewing this from a completely selfish perspective, which it appears his is. But I do think there's something to be said for honoring a commitment (at least a little bit) and having a sense of obligation to the kids and parents of those kids who you just recruited. Everything Lane has shown us points to the conclusion that he is an immature and narcissistic person. And it's especially sad that a guy like that resonates so well with high school athletes today.

AMEN!!

yeah, I see your point as well. From everything I've seen Lane do at Tenn, I'm not a big fan of the guy, just in general, wherever he goes. All the recruiting and PR stunts, etc.

But I don't see this job switch as one of the symptoms of that. I think it's completely okay to be selfish when it comes to your career. You got to do the best thing for you, and if another opportunity comes up, you take it - and both sides realize and understand that this is a possibility. That's why these contracts are rarely actually binding - they just offer financial incentives to not go certain options. It's not quite the same 'commitment' as say, a legal contract, marriage, military, or even a football player committing to a school.

I think most of us, in our careers, if a can't-miss opportunity came up that would be best for us, we'd all take it.

That said, it doesn't change my mostly negative impression of Kiffin and head-shaking at how HS kids can love him so much.

yeah, I see your point as well. From everything I've seen Lane do at Tenn, I'm not a big fan of the guy, just in general, wherever he goes. All the recruiting and PR stunts, etc.

But I don't see this job switch as one of the symptoms of that. I think it's completely okay to be selfish when it comes to your career. You got to do the best thing for you, and if another opportunity comes up, you take it - and both sides realize and understand that this is a possibility. That's why these contracts are rarely actually binding - they just offer financial incentives to not go certain options. It's not quite the same 'commitment' as say, a legal contract, marriage, military, or even a football player committing to a school.

I think most of us, in our careers, if a can't-miss opportunity came up that would be best for us, we'd all take it.

That said, it doesn't change my mostly negative impression of Kiffin and head-shaking at how HS kids can love him so much.

I agree with your sentiment as well, also think that HuskerBruin does as well.

I would go after this kid, Ahmad Dixon. Safety from Waco, TX. If we can't land Cooper, get this kid N. Monte is no longer at Tennessee so this kid can come play for a real defense.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/football...mad-Dixon-82277

EDIT: Wow...doing some quick research and he just gave Tenn his commitment within the last week...he was formerly pledged to Texas and then mostly to Baylor. This guy jumps around more than Lane! Wonder if he goes back to Baylor? Says he likes Tenn in large part because of Monte. Wonder now what for this kid?

Well it's a good thing that SC hired an above-board recruiter to turn the NCAA violation ship around. You can really tell that AD Mike Garrett is taking this whole NCAA investigation thing extremely seriously. So I know Lane is bringing daddy Kiffin with him, but I wonder if the Tennessee "hostesses" were part of the deal.

Im sure Kiffin is so excited since Im sure there are way hotter "hostesses" in LA!! Might as well call him Big Daddy Pimpn Kiffin!

I doubt it. http://theangryt.com/?p=3363 They're not UGA, 'Bama, or Ole Miss chicks, but they're better than anything the west coast has to offer.

Side note: you can't spell "stick up" without UT.

It is ok when you are selfish in a career move that affects you and your family but this guy is affecting the lives of 100 kids in this program. So it is not as easy to say this is a good career move and just jump at it. There are at least 40 new recruits over the last two years that made the commitments based on his commitment to UT.

I think it stinks. Not only the kids, what about all the kids/families of the staff that has to follow him.

He didn't really handle himself with class when he was being fired by the Raiders and it shows he has no class when he jumps at this opportunity to go to USC.

The bigger question is, why aren't we benefiting from all this turmoil? Bo and Dr Tom have brought stability back to NU and a lot of the colleges are a total mess.

I don't know if I have ever seen this much drama in college coaching ever!!! With all the firings for improper behavior and all the top level changes of coaches retiring/leaving etc., this just blows me away.

All I know is this is a high-risk move by USC. The guy was a flop at Oakland. He had a so-so season at UT, although he wasn't at either program long enough to really know if he can be a successful head coach or not. But during that short time, he didn't show enough results to be comfortable with him, so at the very least, this is a high-risk move.

Apparently this isn't being taken well in Knoxville:

Ugliness ensued on the Tennessee campus in the wake of Lane Kiffin's announcement he was leaving to become head coach at USC, according to ESPN's Chris Low.

Writes Low:

Groups of angry students and fans began surrounding the football complex after the news leaked . . . Eventually, it evolved into a mob-like scene with police moving in and barricading Johnny Majors Drive in front of the football complex.

Every time a car moved anywhere in the vicinity of the complex, the mob ran in that direction shouting obscenities directed at Kiffin and chanting, "F--- you Kiffin!"

Even more surreal was the fact that several of the Tennessee players were standing around watching the whole ugly scene play out. Many of them wore looks of bewilderment.

After all, Tennessee had a grand total of two head football coaches in the 30-plus years prior to Kiffin's arrival -- Phillip Fulmer and John Majors. Now, they're looking for their third head coach in the last 14 months.

Well it's a good thing that SC hired an above-board recruiter to turn the NCAA violation ship around. You can really tell that AD Mike Garrett is taking this whole NCAA investigation thing extremely seriously. So I know Lane is bringing daddy Kiffin with him, but I wonder if the Tennessee "hostesses" were part of the deal.

Im sure Kiffin is so excited since Im sure there are way hotter "hostesses" in LA!! Might as well call him Big Daddy Pimpn Kiffin!

I doubt it. http://theangryt.com/?p=3363 They're not UGA, 'Bama, or Ole Miss chicks, but they're better than anything the west coast has to offer.

Side note: you can't spell "stick up" without UT.

That is straight out of "He Got Game", where the girls treat the girls real nice at one of the schools that is recruiting him.

Wow!!!

Any hostess with bigger than a B cup should be a NCAA violation!!!