SIGNED QB Bubba Starling

Another thing he has to consider is the quality of life playing the next few years in the minors vs living on a major college campus. The number one pick in the 2008 MLB draft was Tim Beckham, a high school shortstop. Beckham is in his third season in the minors and currently still at the class A level. It takes longer to develop high school kids. Best case scenario he is like Jason Heyward and reaches the show after 3 years in the minors. Or a player in the same boat as Bubba was Carl Crawford who spent 3 and one half seasons in the minors before his call up. Just something else for him to think about.

The problem with your theory is that the players you mentioned were all position players. Bubba is a pitcher. I think pitchers can go throught the minors alot faster than position players. like Ez said earlier pitchers can put extra strain on there arms by throwing extra innings. why not go to the minors out of high school make a couple mil and work your way to the majors.

See post #294. Starling is a pitcher/outfielder now, but is projected as an outfielder for the majors.

See post #294. Starling is a pitcher/outfielder now, but is projected as an outfielder for the majors.

I still think that is debatable though. Some clubs certainly like him has a pitching prospect. It's not as though he doesn't have major league stuff on the mound - it's that he's got such a great bat. It will depend on what the pojected neads of the club is IMO. If I was a team like the Royals, I'd draft him as a pitcher for those middle innings, and then sleep well at night knowing that if he doesn't work out on the mound he certainly will in the outfield. Also might be a great pick up for a team in the National League. Every 5 days they'd have a pitcher in the lineup that can hit .310. That would be very dangerous.

Yes, perhaps he could spend a few years in the minors, and perhaps never make it to the next level, but money talks. If he's offered a multi-million-dollar contract, shouldn't he at least seriously consider it? He can always go back to college later. He may never have an opportunity like this again.

I still think that is debatable though. Some clubs certainly like him has a pitching prospect. It's not as though he doesn't have major league stuff on the mound - it's that he's got such a great bat. It will depend on what the pojected neads of the club is IMO. If I was a team like the Royals, I'd draft him as a pitcher for those middle innings, and then sleep well at night knowing that if he doesn't work out on the mound he certainly will in the outfield. Also might be a great pick up for a team in the National League. Every 5 days they'd have a pitcher in the lineup that can hit .310. That would be very dangerous.

If he could hit .310 at the MLB level he'd certainly be an everyday player.

I hate to say it, but it's stupid for many players to choose college instead of the minors, especially if they want to play both football and baseball. Bubba can go in the draft next year, play for several years in the minors, and then come back to college and play football on scholarship if baseball doesn't work out. And quite a few QB's have done this over the years.

Why go straight to college and use up his eligibility when he has a choice that gives him options down the road?

We have now been up and down and back and forth every ally and possible argument about Bubba. The fact of the matter is that we will not know for sure until the MLB draft next spring.

My final thoughts:

If he were seriously considering taking his baseball game to the MLB he would have never even thought about going through a college football recruiting process. If he wanted to see how high he could possibly get drafted he would be a silent commit at the moment and keep everything under wraps.

We have now been up and down and back and forth every ally and possible argument about Bubba. The fact of the matter is that we will not know for sure until the MLB draft next spring.

My final thoughts:

If he were seriously considering taking his baseball game to the MLB he would have never even thought about going through a college football recruiting process. If he wanted to see how high he could possibly get drafted he would be a silent commit at the moment and keep everything under wraps.

Except if he wanted to commit to Bo, I don't think Bo would let him say: "I'm going to come play football for you, maybe...but...I don't want anyone to know because that will hurt my spot in the draft." ie: silent commit

The only way Bo takes a silent commit in my opinion, is if there is a reason such as - he is leaving his home state of Texas to play for NU and doesn't want to be hounded about it for the next 6 months by the locals...or, he doesn't want the hype and press to interfere with his football season and be a distraction to his team so he'd like to wait until after the season to announce. Something like that.

I think he'd take a silent commit if that was how the recruit wanted it. What does it matter to Bo if the commit is public or not.

Yeah, Bo doesn't strike me as the kind of dude that wouldn't accept silent commits. I like to think maybe Aaron Green is a silent commit right now (no info just a hunch) and is waiting for more time to pass before he announces so he doesn't get hounded by UT fans. That would be so cool.

My final thoughts:

Having somewhere to go would be a bigger barganing chip. If you don't offer enough money I'm going to play football at Nebraska for instance. chuckleshuffle

My final thoughts:

Having somewhere to go would be a bigger barganing chip. If you don't offer enough money I'm going to play football at Nebraska for instance. chuckleshuffle

But since you have said you are going to Nebraska we dont know that you are committed to us so we wont draft you until the 7th round.

My final thoughts:

But since you have said you are going to Nebraska we dont know that you are committed to us so we wont draft you until the 7th round.

That is true. If they are concerned that he really wants to go to college and play different sports, it could knock him down a few rounds and could be enough to get him less money from a MLB contract and therefore push him to go to college at Nebraska.

My final thoughts:

That is true. If they are concerned that he really wants to go to college and play different sports, it could knock him down a few rounds and could be enough to get him less money from a MLB contract and therefore push him to go to college at Nebraska.

I guess we just won't know until it happens. Zach Lee is taking summer classes at LSU. Dodgers picked him 28th over all just last month. His asking price at that spot is $5 mil. But, it still seems to look like he's leaning toward LSU. They have until August 15 to sign him. They considered him an elite talent, but because of his questionable signability he dropped to 28th.

Then there was Carl Crawford who went in the 2nd round after signing his LOI. I believe there's some people here that still remember that, too. So, we just won't know until it happens.

• 3 weeks later...