OL Mike Shoff

HuskerEric

You can keep drinking the Cotton kool-aid all you want, but if you think Ben & Jake are "frickin gems" than nobody should wonder why we keep slipping farther away from national relevance. I don't see the elite teams in this country wasting schollies on kids nobody else wants or even recruits.

if you haven't been able to see with your own eyes that ben cotton is a damn fine football player, then i don't know what to say. i guess i can at least comprehend still questioning jake, but anyone that saw him in the spring game or listens to any of the talk from the program knows that he's going to be a good lineman for us. calling these "wasted schollies" is pretty ridiculous though, considering around a third of the kids in any recruiting class pan out to be good players and we look to be two for two on cottons so far. why worry about who recruited them when we already know two of them can play?

back to topic though, i think we definitely need another OL in this class (though it sounds like we're getting at least one high quality walk on). i don't know enough about shoff to know if he's the guy, but i sure hope he loves NU enough to walk on and prove it.

back to topic though, i think we definitely need another OL in this class (though it sounds like we're getting at least one high quality walk on). i don't know enough about shoff to know if he's the guy, but i sure hope he loves NU enough to walk on and prove it.

I'd love to seem him walk on, but I think that would be pretty tough when he has scholarships from good schools (at least academically) like Iowa and Kansas (assuming those are still "committable").

I can't believe people are unhappy about giving Sam Cotton a scholarship. Both of his older bros were lightly recruited kids that have turned into frickin gems. You think some of you would learn from past experiences.

Seriously, wake up.

Here's breakdown of their stars for those who think it's the only thing that means anything:

Ben Cotton - 3 stars - turned into the best TE on the team BY FAR

Jake Cotton - 2 stars - on the 2 deep as a redshirt freshman, almost stole the starting job 3 times throughout the season.

Sam Cotton - 3 stars - been said to be the best athlete of the bunch

NO, DON'T OFFER HIM. I hate producers too.

You can keep drinking the Cotton kool-aid all you want, but if you think Ben & Jake are "frickin gems" than nobody should wonder why we keep slipping farther away from national relevance. I don't see the elite teams in this country wasting schollies on kids nobody else wants or even recruits.

Ok, HuskerT. Since you said no elite teams "waste schollies" on kids you deem as nobodies, care to explain the following:

LSU

2star OL commit (Jake equivelant)

5.5 rating 3star WR (Sam equivelant)

Two out of the three Cottons just in one class 2012 class. It took Nebraska two years to do what LSU did in one.

You could save the rest of us a lot of trouble and start your own recruiting service.

Ok, you found an example, but considering that LSU already has 10 4stars committed and is likely to get several more and the fact that they just played for the National Championship, I think they can afford to take a chance. Can you really say the same for us? I don't doubt that I come off like a jerk, but my point is that if these guys were not being recruited by anyone else for whatever reason, than why was it necessary to offer them scholarships. Ben actually had offers so I won't even include him, but is it really so bad for me to suggest that Jake and Sam walk on? If they really are the "frickin gems" that you say they are, they would be awarded scholarships.

• Fire 1

Ok, you found an example, but considering that LSU already has 10 4stars committed and is likely to get several more and the fact that they just played for the National Championship, I think they can afford to take a chance. Can you really say the same for us? I don't doubt that I come off like a jerk, but my point is that if these guys were not being recruited by anyone else for whatever reason, than why was it necessary to offer them scholarships. Ben actually had offers so I won't even include him, but is it really so bad for me to suggest that Jake and Sam walk on? If they really are the "frickin gems" that you say they are, they would be awarded scholarships.

Well, I can agree with something you've posted.

It's not bad that you suggest that some players could be walk-ons instead of offered schollies. But it is bad that you keep harping on the same couple of players who so far appear to be proving you wrong. Maybe the coaches actually knew what they were doing when they put them on scholarship.

It's not bad that you suggest that some players could be walk-ons instead of offered schollies. But it is bad that you keep harping on the same couple of players who so far appear to be proving you wrong. Maybe the coaches actually knew what they were doing when they put them on scholarship.

Ok, we obviously agree to disagree. You keep accepting and defending mediocrity and I'll keep expecting something better.

Ok, we obviously agree to disagree. You keep accepting and defending mediocrity and I'll keep expecting something better.

HOW is the way Ben Cotton has playes anything close to mediocre?! He is a really good blocker and on top of it, he put in a lot of work in the off-season on becoming better at catching the ball. As far as I can remember this year, I can't recall him not catching a ball thrown his way, so he did a great job. How is that mediocre?!

HOW is the way Ben Cotton has playes anything close to mediocre?! He is a really good blocker and on top of it, he put in a lot of work in the off-season on becoming better at catching the ball. As far as I can remember this year, I can't recall him not catching a ball thrown his way, so he did a great job. How is that mediocre?!

I have to agree with you Shark that Ben has been very valuable to our offensive attack. He's was vastly under-utilized this season, plus he's had a few injury issues.

I have to agree with you Shark that Ben has been very valuable to our offensive attack. He's was vastly under-utilized this season, plus he's had a few injury issues.

I did find an example.....the very first place I looked. I'm not going to waste an hour out of my day listing every 2 and low 3 star recruit that LSU, Alabama, OU, etc. has recruited every year. I looked at one teams current class only.

It's obvious that there is nothing we can say to HuskerT that will get him to confirm a #1 TE who makes are running game hum and doesn't drop passes, a redshirt freshman OL getting plenty of field time, and a more athletic younger brother deserve scholarships at Nebraska.

It's also obvious HT is more annoyed with this season's results than just the Cotton kids get schollies. I understand this. I also understand that we essentially played a bowl game every week this past season. New opponents and/or new venues every week. Can you really expect a National Championship every year or a conference championship year 1 and every subsequent year in B1G? I think your expectations are what need a reality check. I believe the program is in a good position. I believe this team will be fighting for a conference championship next year.

The reason you come off as a jerk is because your position in this debate says if a recruiting website gives a kid 2 stars then he should never receive a scholarship. And year after year 2 star recruits prove this wrong over and over and over and over and over....