QB Race

This seems like a discussion that would be best saved for after a game or two or three.

Really though, how can you grade anyone right now when you haven't seen them play AT ALL in MONTHS.

There's nothing wrong with giving early predictions. I just don't like the "upside" factor unless it really is purely opinion based. In that case, it should be "Who do you want to be the starter".

Nobody knows exactly what our offense looks like or how each player is currently performing. The other factors are justifiable, though.

RATINGS FROM BEST TO WORST IN EACH CATEGORY

Upside- 1.T mart, 2.Lee, 3. Green

Accuracy- 1.Lee, 2.Green and tmart tie.

arm strength- 1. Lee w/surgery, 2.Green, 3. T-Mart 4. Lee w/injury

speed- 1.t mart, 2.green, 3.lee

experience- 1.lee, 2.green, 3.martinez

Based on these categories you have to start Green. He is the only QB that isn't ranked last in any of the categories.

Are there any important categories that i'm missing that would be important?

Fixed it for ya. I really think Lee would be the best choice here and i hope i am wrong about t-mart getting the start, but Lee has a cannon (see arizona 2 niles paul) and all of those deep throws last year were WITH A TORN TENDON... i don't think people realize how seriously that can effect a throw especially when you are required to make 20 game in game out. His arm must be pretty splendid with that fixed and it also means that he would have a lot of upside seeing as he is also a terrific game manager style QB. Accurate with a lot of zip, experience, and tenacious leadership to me means he is the best and if he doesn't start it will be understandable, but still a crime.

IMO.

Yeah but I think that the difference in accuracy is much greater than in speed. Lee does have decent straight line speed, andI actually think him and Green are about the same. Accuracy-wise, I think Lee is on a different level than the other. Same goes for experience. With the team we have this year, I think we just need a game-manager, one that we know won't make mistakes that will cost us a game. McElroy for was a game-manager for Bama and look where he led them. So if the three are tied, which could or could not be the case, then I think you have to go with the one that has the experience, that has played on the road in a hostile stadium and in the big games.

Upside- 1.T mart, 2.Lee, 3. Green

Accuracy- 1.Lee, 2.Green and tmart tie.

arm strength- 1. Lee w/surgery, 2.Green, 3. T-Mart 4. Lee w/injury

Based on these categories you have to start Green. He is the only QB that isn't ranked last in any of the categories.

Fixed it for ya. I really think Lee would be the best choice here and i hope i am wrong about t-mart getting the start, but Lee has a cannon (see arizona 2 niles paul) and all of those deep throws last year were WITH A TORN TENDON... i don't think people realize how seriously that can effect a throw especially when you are required to make 20 game in game out. His arm must be pretty splendid with that fixed and it also means that he would have a lot of upside seeing as he is also a terrific game manager style QB. Accurate with a lot of zip, experience, and tenacious leadership to me means he is the best and if he doesn't start it will be understandable, but still a crime.

IMO.

Exactly. A lot of people write Lee off but forget he had a significant injury to his throwing arm. I think the kid will bring a ton of playmaking ability to the passing game and to write that off would eliminate Paul, Kinnie and the gang almost completely. Broken plays and PA passes does not make a passing game. Converting first downs on 3rd and long should determine a QB starter. Lord knows we'll need that guy.

3rd and long situation with a bad o-line, you'd definitely want Martinez though. If they can't protect, guy's gotta make a play himself.

I think Green has the biggest upside, Martinez the most athleticism, and Lee the best arm...

but you can tell from day 1 that Bo has been on a mission to return to physical, ball control style offense. All the QBs he's recruited (or at least the ones he's signed) have been phenomenal athletes with questions about their accuracy/consistency in the passing game.

Bo has the final say in who starts, and it just so happens that Martinez is the best fit for what he wants to accomplish on offense.

to me its more like

Upside (I interpret this as room for growth)- 1. Green 2. Martinez 3. Lee

Accuracy 1. Lee 2. Martinez 3. Green

Arm Strenght 1. Green 2. Lee 3. Martinez

Speed 1. Martinez 2. Green 3. Lee

XP 1. Lee 2. Green 3. Martinez

But really there are just so many other parameters to consider. How about quickness of release, agility (or lateral movement), physical strength (or break tackles?), pocket presence, ability to read defense, as well as things we can't really explain or whatever that certain players seem to just have that we might call moxie or leadership or some other such term. Also like, green might have a stronger arm than Lee, but Lee is fully capable with the deep balls and whatnot, it isn't something to me that is going to keep him from starting and just the fact that we haven't really seen enough to say much about all of these qb's.

Tom Shatel writes that a QB rotation throughout the Western Kentucky game is likely. Not only that, but that we shouldn't expect to have a clear cut starter until the Washington game? I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's time for our coaching staff to evaluate this position and stick with the guy that gives us a the best chance to win. Why should that be changing each week? Somebody has to be better than all the others. There is purely no way that these 3 our equally capable of accomplishing our offensive goals. Now if it's Zac Lee, then put him out there for his senior year and let him take the reins. If they are actually willing to make the change to Cody Green or Martinez then it has to be because these guys have earned the chance. It isn't helping Zac Lee's mentality if these coaches continually pull him and see if another guy can do it better. I mean, how would you feel if you went to work every day and your boss keeps testing another guy in your place to see if he can do your job better than you? So if he doesn't do better, then the boss says 'nope, he's not the guy, I'll let you keep your job til' I find the next guy to replace you with'. You could say the same for Martinez. If Martinez gets the "starting job" and he makes a mistake or two and we yank him out of there......what does that do for his confidence. How would he feel about the coaches confidence in him.

Many different sports radio stations are viewing this QB debate as a sign of weakness. Most are saying that it's ridiculous to think that we haven't had a decision because they are all just so darn good. Most think we are heading into this season with high expectations but can't even find someone to play QB? I think we do have someone that can take this offense and not only make Nebraska competitive, but can probably take us to the top. But I am afraid if we do too much "ring around the rosy"........how will this QB and his teammates settle in and adapt to each others style. I'm hoping the decision is already made and we have "THE GUY" to get it done.

Great post. I think everyone outside the Husker huddle (fans) have good reason to have doubts about our QB. Most Husker fans would agree too. Its unfortunate, but right now QB is up for grabs because the staff wants to see who they can trust to get it done out on the field. Its the beginning of the season and we are fortunate to get all three some plays. I think its okay that they are basically "auditioning on the field" so to speak. After last season, the unknown for this season, the potential this team has, the direction they want the offense to take, I think in this particular case its okay (to run all three out there over the next three games). By time Wash comes around with conference play soon after.. We def need to identify a QB that is clearly going to be an asset to the offense and not a liability.

Normally QB rotation is bad for a team. We have plenty of reasons to see that its the right thing to do for now.

Upside- 1.T mart, 2.Green, 3.Lee

Accuracy- 1.lee, 2.Green and tmart tie.

arm strength- 1.Green, 2.tmart and lee tie

Should the criterion be add up all the values and let the lowest value decide who starts. You're using an ordinal scale (ranked, but the difference between 1 and 2 isn't twice as much) so it would be silly to say the person who has no last place finishes should clearly be started.

That being said the scores were

Lee-11

Green-9

Tmart-9

So by your system, either Tmart or Green should start. Sorry for being a smart(synonym for a donkey here) but seems kinda arbitrary in a lot ways, but good start to a discussion.

I think Green has the biggest upside, Martinez the most athleticism, and Lee the best arm...

but you can tell from day 1 that Bo has been on a mission to return to physical, ball control style offense. All the QBs he's recruited (or at least the ones he's signed) have been phenomenal athletes with questions about their accuracy/consistency in the passing game.

Bo has the final say in who starts, and it just so happens that Martinez is the best fit for what he wants to accomplish on offense.

I was actually considering putting green as having a better upside because of his size, strength, speed combo. I think i picked tmart because he has the ability to scramble and make plays through air and on the ground.

Tom Shatel writes that a QB rotation throughout the Western Kentucky game is likely. Not only that, but that we shouldn't expect to have a clear cut starter until the Washington game? I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's time for our coaching staff to evaluate this position and stick with the guy that gives us a the best chance to win. Why should that be changing each week? Somebody has to be better than all the others. There is purely no way that these 3 our equally capable of accomplishing our offensive goals. Now if it's Zac Lee, then put him out there for his senior year and let him take the reins. If they are actually willing to make the change to Cody Green or Martinez then it has to be because these guys have earned the chance. It isn't helping Zac Lee's mentality if these coaches continually pull him and see if another guy can do it better. I mean, how would you feel if you went to work every day and your boss keeps testing another guy in your place to see if he can do your job better than you? So if he doesn't do better, then the boss says 'nope, he's not the guy, I'll let you keep your job til' I find the next guy to replace you with'. You could say the same for Martinez. If Martinez gets the "starting job" and he makes a mistake or two and we yank him out of there......what does that do for his confidence. How would he feel about the coaches confidence in him.

Many different sports radio stations are viewing this QB debate as a sign of weakness. Most are saying that it's ridiculous to think that we haven't had a decision because they are all just so darn good. Most think we are heading into this season with high expectations but can't even find someone to play QB? I think we do have someone that can take this offense and not only make Nebraska competitive, but can probably take us to the top. But I am afraid if we do too much "ring around the rosy"........how will this QB and his teammates settle in and adapt to each others style. I'm hoping the decision is already made and we have "THE GUY" to get it done.

Great post. I think everyone outside the Husker huddle (fans) have good reason to have doubts about our QB. Most Husker fans would agree too. Its unfortunate, but right now QB is up for grabs because the staff wants to see who they can trust to get it done out on the field. Its the beginning of the season and we are fortunate to get all three some plays. I think its okay that they are basically "auditioning on the field" so to speak. After last season, the unknown for this season, the potential this team has, the direction they want the offense to take, I think in this particular case its okay (to run all three out there over the next three games). By time Wash comes around with conference play soon after.. We def need to identify a QB that is clearly going to be an asset to the offense and not a liability.

Normally QB rotation is bad for a team. We have plenty of reasons to see that its the right thing to do for now.

I agree. Usually that's "bad news" but this year is unique in so many ways. Add to that the following year of going to the Big10 and having a truly brutal schedule. These are exciting times. chuckleshuffle