Stadium Expansion

They haven't announced it formally, but you'd have to expect it will be replaced this summer - as was said above, the stuff is literally falling apart and in very poor shape. The reason we won't see any sound system upgrades are because even though the messageboards are full of people complaining about it, in general, the fanbase doesn't really care. Before the east stadium expansion, they put a survey out asking people what they'd most likely see done to Memorial, and the sound system upgrade was way down on the list.

I also think they'll wait a year to see how the sound permeates through the stadium when 6,000 people now fill the expansion. Any sound upgrades right now would include some guesswork.

Arent the only speakers in the North right now? Thats pretty pathetic.

Speakers in one endzone is a pretty standard set up for outdoor stadiums.

They haven't announced it formally, but you'd have to expect it will be replaced this summer - as was said above, the stuff is literally falling apart and in very poor shape. The reason we won't see any sound system upgrades are because even though the messageboards are full of people complaining about it, in general, the fanbase doesn't really care. Before the east stadium expansion, they put a survey out asking people what they'd most likely see done to Memorial, and the sound system upgrade was way down on the list.

I also think they'll wait a year to see how the sound permeates through the stadium when 6,000 people now fill the expansion. Any sound upgrades right now would include some guesswork.

Arent the only speakers in the North right now? Thats pretty pathetic.

Speakers in one endzone is a pretty standard set up for outdoor stadiums.

Maybe for stadiums built before 1960 but I can't think this is the case in any modern stadium. It certainly isn't at Mile High or Arrowhead.

I agree that the sound system sounds horrible and the distortion is rediculous, but for all the people who feel the same way, do you have a good point of reference? Have you attended other stadiums where the quality is noticably better? Sorry to say that all the other away games I have been to I was so wasted the last thing I thought about was the sound system. I really don't have a good point of reference.

I've attended games at Memorial Stadium before the new sound system was put in place, and it was worlds better than what we have now. Now is horrible.

Also, I went and took a bunch of pics today, but I have company coming over so I won't be able to post them today. Look for an update tomorrow. Got to walk completely around the Arena and environs.

I agree that the sound system sounds horrible and the distortion is rediculous, but for all the people who feel the same way, do you have a good point of reference? Have you attended other stadiums where the quality is noticably better? Sorry to say that all the other away games I have been to I was so wasted the last thing I thought about was the sound system. I really don't have a good point of reference.

When I go to games, we sit in the North endzone... the speakers are right above us... and even that close they don't sound good. I analyzed why and I figured it out... they lack mids and bass.... we have so much high pitch that it gets lost and is also ear piercing when you're close. If you listen to the music when they play it during warmups it is all highs... no bass. We need to add some big bass and mid speakers... When I saw NU play at Baylor a couple years ago they had bass so loud it was like being in a club and it really got everyone into it. It's the lows that carry well across distance.

I feel like what we have now are more along the lines of high school stadium speakers.

Before the North Stadium expansion in '06, the audio system was 10 times more effective than it has been since. If I recall, when they first added the 'vision boards in 2 corners in 1994, they also added a deck of speakers above the main scoreboard in the North, and each of the 2 vision boards contained speakers themselves. The sound system improvement from 1993 to 1994 with these new additions was astonishing. It was obviously been change since with the '06 expansion. I just wonder what can be done to address it.