Stadium Expansion

I've got tons of pictures to post, but I have to sort them first. Sometime this week. Really, really busy weekend. Sorry.

Is it lame that I check this thread close to hourly just to see if knapp's pictures have been uploaded? Seriously, anyone that has contributed pictures has really helped bring The Sea of Red alll throughout Husker Nation. I'm thankful for you all... now upload those pics! :ahhhhhhhh

Is it lame that I check this thread close to hourly just to see if knapp's pictures have been uploaded? Seriously, anyone that has contributed pictures has really helped bring The Sea of Red alll throughout Husker Nation. I'm thankful for you all... now upload those pics! :ahhhhhhhh

That's why I post the pics. :thumbs

That's why I post the pics. :thumbs

I thought you did it for the +1s :P

Just kidding thanks for all you do :thumbs

Everyone has been really patient with me this week, so hopefully this is a solid update to make the waiting worthwhile. Got some different angles on the projects this time. Be sure to read all the comments!

Arena first:

From the NE, SE and SW, overall views of the arena. As Twinkletoes mentioned, the roof trusses are starting to go up.

DSCF3806.jpg

DSCF3809.jpg

DSCF3813.jpg

These next few are from the O Street overpass, showing the work they're doing on the whole area.

DSCF3827.jpg

DSCF3824.jpg

DSCF3821.jpg

Final overview pic. Note the leveling of the soil to the west of the A/C building.

DSCF3819.jpg

A porter from the Amtrak station told me they're going to start moving on the Arena Drive project in the next few weeks (red on the map). They've got all the footings done and most of the sewer work. That road should go in pretty quickly without any traffic to bother the construction guys, and once that's in the whole area will really start to take shape.

haymarketwestmap.jpg

Finally, here are a couple of pics of the roof trusses from nearly the same level in the Club section (third floor) of Memorial Stadium:

DSCF3830.jpg

DSCF3833.jpg

• Fire 5

East Stadium next.

I tried to show as much of East Stadium and the new track as practical here and still let you guys see something. They're moving along quickly with the new track, and as you can tell the stadium is getting some brick already.

DSCF3804.jpg

A wider view from directly east. The tables were set up for Big Red Welcome this weekend. They wouldn't let me park in the lot - I got chased out by a couple of wrestlers.

DSCF3802.jpg

I took this shot to show how close the upper level was to the bottom of that crane. Not sure you can tell very well. Maybe tschu can get a cleaner shot from the gerbil run.

DSCF3801.jpg

DSCF3800.jpg

A couple of close-ups right next to the fence. I need to bring a stepladder or something. This fence is a pain.

DSCF3797.jpg

DSCF3796.jpg

A couple of shots of the south end. There are ten rows of club seating, and what looks like will probably be another dozen rows of upper-deck seating.

DSCF3793.jpg

DSCF3789.jpg

Finally, from the Club Level hall in West Stadium, here's a straight-on shot of the inside of the stadium. Like I said - those upper seats will be as high or higher than the big screen.

DSCF3836.jpg

• Fire 9

I took this shot to show how close the upper level was to the bottom of that crane. Not sure you can tell very well. Maybe tschu can get a cleaner shot from the gerbil run.

Sadly, as of 3 weeks ago I no longer work on campus :(

I might be able to still go over there to get some pictures sometime though...we'll see. As always, terrific update knapp.

it's actually too bad that you're not gonna be able to see oldfather. Back in 2000 or so we could go to the top of Oldfather and watch the game if we could find tickets. It was also a nice touch to the whole university theme having it in the background.

edit: spelling

Aye, very nice work knapp. Thanks for the update! Always fun to see different views. See the arena every day on the trek into downtown, but it's always nice to see the different angles and views. Was amazing the day we were exiting downtown, and I saw the trusses had been put up. They worked pretty fast on a lot of that, but I think a lot of that was already constructed on the ground, and lifted into place, as I recall.

Knapp, the map you used, out of curiousity, is that a newer map, or an older map? I noticed that one still had the Breslow Ice Center next to O St. Did the guy you talked to happen to mention anything new in regards to the Ice Center? Last I had heard, it was to be on the other side of the tracks, but there hasn't been an update in a while anywhere that I can find.